Mouthpiece sensativity

tromboneplayer

Mouthpiece sensativity

Post by tromboneplayer »

Hello all,

Anyone else suffer from sensativity to the material that the mouthpiece is made of? What did you do to alleviate it?

Thanks
tbonesullivan

Re: Mouthpiece sensativity

Post by tbonesullivan »

Your only really choice is to change mouthpiece material. Gold plating, Stainless Steel, Titanium, Plastic, Resin, all are options.

Doug Elliott offers Lexan rims as part of his modular system.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I make Lexan rims in every size (screw rims for the mouthpieces that I make). I think it's the best solution. I'm not sensitive to silver or brass but I use Lexan most of the time because I just like the feel of it.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Before you go about blaming the material, make sure your mouthpiece is clean. There could be a deep layer of biotica that you are much more sensitive to.

Also, some folks are VERY sensitive to raw brass. Is your plating missing somewhere?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I know players who are sensitive to every mouthpiece metal including gold and stainless steel.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Doug Elliott wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:32 pm I know players who are sensitive to every mouthpiece metal including gold and stainless steel.
That's actually a little scary. What if they need a joint replacement someday?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I wonder if it's the metal or abrasions in the metal that affect some or maybe even most people. There is no doubt that some people are allergic to silver and maybe even gold. But I used to think I was allergic to silver when it was actually a bad finish on the rim, tearing my face up. Now I prefer silver plate, but the finish has to be good. DE, Griego, and Vennture have never caused me issues. Some other makers tear my face up, even new.
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

I have a mild allergic reaction.
So now I only use stainless or plastic.
I can use a good silver plated brass for a short period. But it adversely affects a permenant lip injury that takes weeks to recover.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:

Return to “Mouthpieces”