New Member and Mouthpiece Question

Locutus

New Member and Mouthpiece Question

Post by Locutus »

Hello Everyone,

Newbie here and I want to first say hello and thank you for letting me be here. O/

I haven't played my Tenor Trombone since HS or since 1996, and at the time I was using a 12C which was perfect for me then. Over the years obviously my face face has grown, with that the overbite and lips (I have very full lips) have as well. I simply can't play the 12C any more. I even tried a 5G, same issue. For me to even hit the low Bb or a C natural, I have to put my lips literally against the rim of the mouthpiece, then once I get to D and up, I have to push my lips into the bowl. Very uncomfortable and inefficient. I feel like I need a Tuba mouthpiece lol. Bowl depth isn't the issue its the rim. Or maybe I need to work on a new embouchure. I don't know yet.

I have went through some threads/discussion here already and I am seeing some people talking about maybe a Bach 4C or 3C. I don't have a knowledgeable music store here on mouthpieces so I came to the forum for help. The Doug Elliot comments have been great knowledge and reading.

Thank you!
BGuttman

Re: New Member and Mouthpiece Question

Post by BGuttman »

While Doug's mouthpieces are really great, you probably aren't yet at the point where the expense is justified.

I assume you are playing a small bore instrument so recommending a large shank mouthpiece is not a good idea (unless you have access to a good sledge hammer ;) ).

A 4C or (if you can find it) a 3C may work. Also look into the Denis Wick 4BS, which is the largest small shank mouthpiece I've ever played.

Most of the good large rim mouthpieces are somewhat expensive and I've never seen a cheap large rim small shank mouthpiece.

You can set up a Skype session with Doug Elliott, who will evaluate your embouchure and make suggestions about what size works. He won't push his mouthpiece on you unless he determines that is the only possible solution. Especially if you tell him you are a recent returnee.

You may find that as you recover your chops, your need for the very large mouthpiece will go away and your lips will swell less. Don't toss the 12C just yet.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Burgerbob

Re: New Member and Mouthpiece Question

Post by Burgerbob »

I'd say some fundamental work should be in order first.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher

Return to “Mouthpieces”