Shank length

bcschipper

Shank length

Post by bcschipper »

Is there a website that lists the length of trombone mouthpieces?

One problem I face with a Holton TR 258 (I guess with any trombone similar to Conn 88H trombone) is that with a standard Bach mouthpiece for instance, the trigger is too close to the cheek. My embouchure cannot function properly because microadjustments become difficult. I am a bit surprised that I do not read much about because it must be a common problem. My face is not big.

I understand that some makers offer longer shanks and this would solve the problem. But except for mouthpieces by Bach (not all), makers do not list the length of their mouthpieces. It is quite difficult to make informed choices.

I read about long shank Schilke mouthpieces and also Hammond mentions long shank but there are no further details about the length. Maybe a Remington shank mouthpiece would stick out more due to the different tapper of the shank.
Burgerbob

Re: Shank length

Post by Burgerbob »

I would probably have a different lever mounted instead.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:17 pm I would probably have a different lever mounted instead.
Thanks. I just checked again to see how it would work. It is actually the bulge on the valve cap (and not the trigger) that it interfering with the lower jar.

Others in the trombone chat also noted that mouthpieces seem to insert deeper than normal into Holton large bore trombones.
bcschipper

Post by bcschipper »

I got a old Schilke 50 mouthpiece with a “long shank”. It works very well on the Holton TR 258, both in terms of ergonomics and sound-wise. I am always surprised how much the choice of a mouthpiece depends on the trombone.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Even different length mouthpieces can fit into the receiver at the same length to your face, so getting the lever changed is a much better idea.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic

Return to “Mouthpieces”