Sound of Music pit

Mikebmiller

Sound of Music pit

Post by Mikebmiller »

I just signed up to play The Sound of Music this fall with my local theater. I looked at the official web site and the orchestration of for a huge bass section - 3 trumpets, 2 bones, 3 horns. Obviously, out local group has neither the pit size nor budget to pay for an orcestra that large. Is there a reduced score that they use for smaller shows? Our pit only holds about 12 people max.
Jmloudon

Re: Sound of Music pit

Post by Jmloudon »

Yes, although the reduction I’ve played was bigger than 12 people (brass section was 2 bones / 2 tpts / 2 horns). I imagine a lot of parts will be covered by keyboard in your case due to the size of the pit. Probably 1 bone and two trumpets, no horns?
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

I’ve played a touring version where the bone part was condensed to tenor/bass/tuba in the one book. The rest of the brass section was 2 trumpets and a horn.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Rusty wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:50 pm I’ve played a touring version where the bone part was condensed to tenor/bass/tuba in the one book. The rest of the brass section was 2 trumpets and a horn.
A few years back I did a similar line up , played the show on a large bore B/F
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I was looking forward to this until I got the book today. Holy cow - what a snoozefest. Most musicals run about 100 pages. This one is only about 65. Lots of tacets, long rests, and footballs, and very few actually interesting licks. I guess modern musicals are much more fun.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I have found lot of the "classic" Broadway musical trombone books are pretty boring. The fun comes in when you get asked to cover other parts, like horn, bassoon, or cello. One exception was "Anything Goes" where my book was thicker than the trumpet book and I got to play those soaring accompaniments normally given to the cello.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I enjoy "Anything Goes". Other classic shows that I have enjoyed include "Fiddler on the Roof", "Kiss Me Kate", "Kismet", and of course "West Side Story". Classic shows that I didn't enjoy are "Pippin", and I found Carousel to be a terrible part and I also didn't like the show (any of the 3x I've played it). Also didn't love "The Unsinkable Molly Brown".
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:06 pm I was looking forward to this until I got the book today. Holy cow - what a snoozefest. Most musicals run about 100 pages. This one is only about 65. Lots of tacets, long rests, and footballs, and very few actually interesting licks. I guess modern musicals are much more fun.
I always found R&H shows to be very unimaginative in the orchestration. Totally not true in other writers of the time, though.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Having had the privilege of playing a host of American Broadway Shows in the original orchestration, I really feel for the performers who have to endure the reduced scores that seem to be regular fare in today's theater. Oliver --- How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying --- Camelot --- Pickwick Papers --- The Boyfriend --- South Pacific --- Oklahoma --- Hello Dolly --- Gypsy --- West Side Story --- and so many others are true works of ART ! They may not be from the old masters but they are works of art, nontheless. The weak link in the Broadway Show format is when they are written for a particular time and modern audiences don't connect with contemporary references. I suppose the same could be said of most operas, oratorios and theatrical presentations. Somehow, curiosity prevails and overcomes the obstacle. Anyway, Jazz is not the only American contribution to the world of music !
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I think I will be rooting for the Nazis by the time this show is over.
76doublebass

Post by 76doublebass »

I’ve played Sound of Music in a pit 2 years ago and we used 1 trombone me playing on 3 parts 1st trombone, bass trombone and some tuba parts all on trombone. We had 1 French horn a flute switching to clarinet an additional clarinet; along with 2 trumpets and 4 string players , violin 1 an 2 , viola , drum set, and electric piano doing a lot of work . Oh forgot about bass
Electric guitar.
Ozzlefinch

Post by Ozzlefinch »

I've done a ton of theater pit orchestra. Yes, the music can be dull (especially when its not a musical) but you get in the show for free and get to go to the cast parties. Getting to build the network of connections, building the resume, and making new friends is worth sitting through an entire piece that only says "tacit". More often than not I also got souvenirs from the production in the form of promotional swag and sometimes bits of the stage props.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Almost 20 years ago I played a lot with a smaller German orchestra.
Repertoire was approx. 10-20% concert repertoire, 30-40% opera (loved playing La Boheme around 20 times) and the rest musical and light opera/operette stuff.

Within the musical field I played around 20 times each Les Miserables and Victor/Victoria. Both were with a relatively large orchestra although I cannot remember the details. All played in a classical opera house without much (or any?) amplification for the orchestra.

I enjoyed it, but wouldn't have wanted to do this kind of stuff for decades.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:06 pm Lots of tacets, long rests, and footballs, and very few actually interesting licks.
"footballs"?
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

officermayo wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:31 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:06 pm Lots of tacets, long rests, and footballs, and very few actually interesting licks.
"footballs"?
Whole notes?
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

tbdana wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:22 pm

"footballs"?
Whole notes?
Ah, I see (said the blind man).
I graduated in '78 so I'm not up to speed on some slang. :D
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

"footballs"?
Rugby or Association footballs?
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Well I made it through tech week and the first 3 SOM shows this past week. This dang show runs close to 3 hours with intermission. And the songs in the 2nd act are pretty much the same as the songs in the 1st act. I have been Do Re Mied, Goatherded, and Favorite Thinged to death at this point. I am playing 2nd bone and it does seem that the 1st book has a few more interesting bits than the 2nd.

But we have a great cast and they are selling the place out for every show.

I am looking forward to the sequel - SOM2, where the Von Trapps discover that is is a 150 mile walk from Salzburg to Switzerland.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

Vegasbound wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:07 am

"footballs"?
Rugby or Association footballs?
Depends on the notation style. Typically more like a rugby football; more elongated than an association football (soccer here in the States), but not as pointy on the ends as an American football.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:47 pm I am looking forward to the sequel - SOM2, where the Von Trapps discover that is is a 150 mile walk from Salzburg to Switzerland.
Of course in real life, the von Trapp family simply walked to the Salzburg station and took a train to Italy.

Somehow that didn't seem dramatic enough for a Rodgers & Hammerstein musical! :idk:

By the way, Maria's son, Johannes von Trapp and his son & daughter, are still operating the Trapp Family Lodge in a magical mountainside location outside of Stowe, Vermont.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:47 pm Well I made it through tech week and the first 3 SOM shows this past week. This dang show runs close to 3 hours with intermission. And the songs in the 2nd act are pretty much the same as the songs in the 1st act. I have been Do Re Mied, Goatherded, and Favorite Thinged to death at this point. I am playing 2nd bone and it does seem that the 1st book has a few more interesting bits than the 2nd.

But we have a great cast and they are selling the place out for every show.
It's good to hear that the show is doing really well! I have a dreadful feeling that many older musicals are regarded as outdated by many, thus spawning rewrites of which many, IMO, are downright bad.
Mikebmiller wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:47 pm I am looking forward to the sequel - SOM2, where the Von Trapps discover that is is a 150 mile walk from Salzburg to Switzerland.
Or Sound of Music 3, where they discover that the (Sugar) hills nowdays are alive with rap.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Last 3 shows this weekend! Do Do Do Re Re Re Mi Mi Mi.

I have enjoyed this run but will be happy to be done with it. Too many rests!

Return to “Performance”