Olds/Holton same?

Bassposeur1

Olds/Holton same?

Post by Bassposeur1 »

Hello all,
I'm eyeballing an Olds f-trigger on Marketplace. closed wrap, Copper bell or red brass, mostly no lacquer left. Definitely bigger than 8 inch bell. Has tuning in slide. Marked 158 on rotor cover. Unknown if that's part of the serial or a model #. Any idea what im looking at here? Played something similar in high school. Same wrap but no TIS and no copper bell. Are Olds and Holton related? Thanks for the wisdom, Poseur
JohnL

Re: Olds/Holton same?

Post by JohnL »

I know of no relationship between Olds and Holton.

Any chance you can post a link to the specific instrument?

Many Olds rotors carry assembly numbers on some of their parts. As far as I know, these were used to keep the mating parts together during the manufacturing process.

An Olds with a 9" or larger reddish bell with a traditional wrap and tuning in slide would most likely be a "first version" S-22 bass trombone (the "George Roberts" model).
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

If it has an 8½" red brass bell, it could be an Olds O-25 large-bore tenor (0.554" bore, 0.565" bore closed-wrap F-attachment, single rotor, tuning in bell).

A photo will reveal.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Probably just a number for the part like mentioned. A somewhat unlikely possibility is that someone had a 158 rotor put on it aftermarket
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Sounds like an Olds Super Bass Trombone.

Return to “History of the Trombone”