New To Large Bore Bones

officermayo

New To Large Bore Bones

Post by officermayo »

I play peashooters and use a Bach 17C. I recently picked-up a generic Chinese large bore pretzel bone and need to find a large shank mp. Not keen on adapters, so I'm looking for advice on what size large shank mp would be good for my normally playing lead chops. I obviously won't use this big hoss on lead, but I need a comfortable transition from my usual mp.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
BGuttman

Re: New To Large Bore Bones

Post by BGuttman »

You can get a Schilke 47 in large shank. It's not as small as what you play now, but it's one of the smaller large shank mouthpieces. You really don't want to go too small on a large bore horn.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I bet a Doug Elliott ST95/E/E8 would at least feel okay.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Large shank 6.5AL is a good spot to start.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

If you really feel like you need a small rim, I have 11C copies in ST, MT, and LT. LT would probably work best.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Thanks to all who gave advice and a special shout out to Doug Elliott for going out of his way to hook me up with just what I needed. Can't thank him enough!
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:22 pm Large shank 6.5AL is a good spot to start.
I agree, a 6 1/2AL would still allow some comfort and not induce the feeling of falling into the horn. (BTW this = 2nd post.) Phil B
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I started as a small-bore tenor player (King 2B), mostly big band. Then I was invited to join a symphony orchestra, which required me a play a large-bore tenor. As I recall (dimly) in the 1970s, large-bore trombonists were encouraged to play a Bach 6½AL. (There were few options in those days. And I never got along with the Remington 5CL that came with my Conn 88H.) I dutifully played the 6½AL for a few years, then switched to a Schilke 51. Haven't looked back.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

The Bach 42B I bought in 1978 came with a 6 1/2 AL.

Return to “Mouthpieces”