Tom Crown Straight Mute Aluminum vs Copper Bottom

StevenHolloway

Tom Crown Straight Mute Aluminum vs Copper Bottom

Post by StevenHolloway »

Random question about straight mutes. I’ve never tried a straight mute with the copper bottom. Which do you all prefer? The one that’s all aluminum or the one with the copper bottom? I’m guessing the copper one has more warmth? I’m in the market for a new mute. I’m not happy with my Jo Ral. Looking for something different. Thanks.
BGuttman

Re: Tom Crown Straight Mute Aluminum vs Copper Bottom

Post by BGuttman »

I have the copper bottom mute. Difference is pretty subtle. I like mine mostly for the looks.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
octavposaune

Post by octavposaune »

I use Tom Crown copper bottom straight mutes on large tenor and bass. I drill vent holes in all of them or some low notes will have wolf tones. The copper bottom actually adds zing and buzz to the tone not warmth. I like it because it adds a tone color that carries over an orchestra without being loud. So, IMO sizzly copper bottom straight mutes help being heard at soft dynamics....
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Copper bottom mutes have a bit more sizzle than the all aluminum and they are a bit heavier, making the horn a bit more front heavy when you are using it.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Before you eliminate all mutes except Tom Crown (which are quite good), check out the Denis Wick aluminum straight mute. I have a 50th anniversary model (gold anodized) that I am pleased with. I believe it's also lighter than the Tom Crowns.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I have sort of like the magic Tom Crown aluminum mute -- I've had it longer than any of my other gear. One day, a long time ago, I accidentally dropped it and the lip around the hole at top of the stem was dented pretty badly. I tried to get it round again for a few minutes, but I figured out that after dropping it, the sound was now the best straight mute sound ever.

FWIW, I think the aluminum one can be played "louder" without the audible volume overpowering the rest of the group.
StevenHolloway

Post by StevenHolloway »

If you had to play some muted passages at a professional orchestra audition would you use all aluminum or the copper bottom. There are loud and articulated passages and soft and legato. What’s your mute of choice?
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

One of these years I'll figure out what the differences are supposed to be, and why some companies also offer a "brass" bottom in addition to the aluminum and copper. All I read usually is that copper is supposed to be "darker" sounding than the aluminum bottom, sometimes being described as "powerful.". I guess the brass is supposed to be the happy medium?
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

I have all three (aluminum, brass, copper) of the Wick trumpet straight mutes, so I can describe their relative differences. How that might apply to trombone you'll have judge for your own situation. I purchased an aluminum Protec Liberty straight mute for bass trombone and have been pleased with it - no apparent wolf tones and it plays well in the lower register into the pedals. Not drilling was necessary.

aluminum - light and bright, with very percussive attacks. Color changes smoothly with dynamic, so no surprises.

copper - heavier, less "muted" character, color becomes "hot" at upper dynamics, very "thuddy" attacks, maybe because copper bottom is heavier than either aluminum or brass

brass - slightly less bright than aluminum, bright with less "hot" than copper at high dynamics, better, cleaner articulation than copper

Return to “Accessories”