New HAAG Handbrace

slipmo

New HAAG Handbrace

Post by slipmo »

I just got a shipment of new HAAG handbraces in stock and they are very slick. Price is going to be $275 each. Machined steel with minibal linkages and leather pad and shims for various size crossbraces.

Here are some nice shots!
haagbrace_1.jpg
haagbrace_2.jpg
haagbrace_3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2bobone

Re: New HAAG Handbrace

Post by 2bobone »

After reading the threads on Lexan valve caps, lightweight slides and use or non-use of a rubber slide bumper, is it realistic to add the weight of that device to the main bell brace ? If it is made of "Unobtainium" and has near-zero measurable weight it still will make a difference in the playing characteristics of the horn on which it is installed. A similar brace that I once tried could be marketed as a miracle "Timbre Alteration Device" with "Enhanced Grip Reinforcement". I know that Tomer Maschkowski uses a similar device but I think he needs it to tone down his monstrously huge sound !
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

if it helps you play without pain, it's probably worth it
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

Yes, but the Neotech is much cheaper and works great
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Photos of one mounted on my Leuchter Fuchs model and my Bach/Brasslab 50 Thayers for reference. There are two size 3D printed shims that slide over the brace to make a solid connection on the mount. It should fit most bass trombones, I'm working with Fabian to confirm. It's ultra secure on the Leuchter (which has very thick braces) and it is secure enough on the Bach 50 where it doesn't move during playing but I can slide it around with a bit of force which helps me reposition if I need to move it to get it in my case (bonna soft case, pivot it up and it rests on top of the mouthpiece compartment)

While not as adjustable as the more expensive Hagmann brace, it does work well and with the minibal connection adjusts well to the back of the hand. You can move it side to side by loosening the tubular connection and slide it to the desired position. Fit and finish is decent, it does look handmade, because it is, which I kind of like! but its not as refined as the Hagmann version in this regard.

Leuchter Fuchs
IMG_9982.jpg
IMG_9983.jpg
Bach 50T
IMG_9984.jpg
IMG_9985.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Really looks (and more importantly works) like the Rath handbrace. Is it more expensive than the Rath or less?
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Elow

Post by Elow »

I have the Rath brace, it’s very wobbly and not very supportive as it doesn’t stay in one position. Does the HAAG have the same problem?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Elow wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:29 pm I have the Rath brace, it’s very wobbly and not very supportive as it doesn’t stay in one position.
It should, assuming the correct shim sizes, but you need to balance the forces across the four main screws quite carefully - if you crank things down in the wrong order, you stop it being able to tighten properly elsewhere.
slipmo

Post by slipmo »

Back of the hand style braces:
Neotech $26
Rath Handbrace $165
HAAG Handbrace $275
Hagmann Handbrace $380

Rath is aluminum I think? The HAAG is much more substantially constructed and since it has minibal pivot points I feel like its more comfortable than the rigid mount on the Rath, my 2cents. Not as adjustable as the Hagmann, which is the rolls royce of hand braces and has all the adjustments you could ever want (plus it screws off to go in a case). Finish on the HAAG is unpolished steel and leather is glued on, but I do think this is an improvement over the less expensive non adjustable or semi adjustable hand braces and a good option for players that want a well made comfortable back of the hand brace but don't want to spend the extra money on the Hagmann.

Someone on facebook compared the HAAG to the neotech, so I bring it up since it is a somewhat similar style. I personally find the Neotech very uncomfortable and its a bit cumbersome with the plastic mount you need to install on your slide to get it to work. Makes sense in concept but I think execution is a bit unelegant... although it is significantly less than these other options and I know some players absolutely love them, so I won't knock them too hard.

So far I've tested this HAAG on these two bass trombones here at my house and it doesn't flop around. I'm going to try it on a Conn 62H when I have a moment. Fabian said he can 3D print any additional sizes for shims as well, so fit should be snug.
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

How much does it weigh?
dbwhitaker

Post by dbwhitaker »

Elow wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:29 pm I have the Rath brace, it’s very wobbly and not very supportive as it doesn’t stay in one position. Does the HAAG have the same problem?
I'll throw my $0.02 on this and say I've been using Rath braces daily for a couple of years on both a Bach 50 and a Holton TR-180 and I've had zero problems with wobble. They stay exactly as I put them. (I pivot them when I put the horns in a case and then pivot back to playing position when I take them out.) I wish the part that touches the hand had more padding and was a bit bigger so that it would lessen the pressure on the back of my hand. I've taken to wearing a fingerless glove to relieve the pressure. I'd like to try a Hagmann brace but so far haven't been willing to spend the money. The HAAG looks nice but I'm surprised that the distance from the cross brace can't be adjusted. That seems like an important adjustment on the Rath brace (because the distance between cross brace and the thumb trigger varies from horn to horn).

I tried Neotech and couldn't get it to work for me.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Sorry but unrelated to the brace, looks cool and any form of aid for those who need it is a good thing.

Very random, how is the throw on your second valve? I’m thinking of getting the geometry reworked on my horn and the slender look of that seems practical/quick

Return to “Accessories”