Has anyone here ever donated an instrument to The MIM?

Spin your yarns here.
JohnL

Has anyone here ever donated an instrument to The MIM?

Post by JohnL »

The MIM as in The Musical Instrument Museum in Phoenix, Arizona, USA?
harrisonreed

Re: Has anyone here ever donated an instrument to The MIM?

Post by harrisonreed »

I tried donating my trombone for historical preservation under the "exceptionally historic and culturally significant works of art" clause, but they couldn't find me in the system. I and my 2016 Edward's were turned away.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:55 pm I tried donating my trombone for historical preservation under the "exceptionally historic and culturally significant works of art" clause, but they couldn't find me in the system. I and my 2016 Edward's were turned away.
In this case, it's a USQMC-marked Lehnert Bb/F bass trombone that's about a century older.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That sounds awesome. They probably would love to have it
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

harrisonreed wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:49 pm That sounds awesome. They probably would love to have it
Waiting to hear back from them; it's been a little over six weeks. Kinda why I was asking. I was wondering if anyone here had had any dealings with them.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

Decades ago I sent a Conn "G" Bass Trombone to their collection through a friend at The Smithsonian Institution. I don't recall any other communication with them. I never checked to see if it was put into the collection or traded off for more interesting items.
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

2bobone wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:36 pm Decades ago I sent a Conn "G" Bass Trombone to their collection through a friend at The Smithsonian Institution. I don't recall any other communication with them. I never checked to see if it was put into the collection or traded off for more interesting items.
If it was decades ago, are you sure it was MIM in Phoenix and not the National Music Museum in Vermillion, SD? The MIM has only been around since 2010.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

You are absolutely right ! It was in Vermillion SD. I mis-read the original post. As Roseann Roseanna Danna used to say, "Never mind" !

Return to “Tangents”