Jazz trombone shopping with $500

Lankythedanky

Jazz trombone shopping with $500

Post by Lankythedanky »

I've been looking around for a jazz horn for solo/combo playing as a second horn. I've looked at some older Conn's (4h, 6h, director) which were either too ratty (4h, Director) or too expensive. I've looked around at some Olds models too, particularity the ambassador and super. Almost snagged a Recorder on ebay but someone (one of you lot probably) outbid me last second. I noticed a YSL-653 on ebay for $460, with a little lacquer wear (nothing too major) and some good photos. Only issue is it's in japan. I've never bought anything used from outside the states and am curious about customs issues or other shipping fees. Another concern is that I've never played this horn and I don't have anywhere to go to try one out as the nearest big music store (not guitar center or M&A) is a 2 hour drive and they don't carry any models I can afford (as a second horn at least). What do y'all think about the Yamaha? Anyone have any advice for what horns to look for at my price point? Does anybody have a king 3B that they just absolutely hate and need to throw away immediately? Thanks!
BGuttman

Re: Jazz trombone shopping with $500

Post by BGuttman »

For cheap you get bad lacquer or broken (or both).

Shipping from Japan is going to be expensive, although customs duties don't start until you spend $2000 (at least that was what it was last time I checked).

A horn with no lacquer that has a lot of tarnish can be polished up nicely. Pay less and work on it a little.

Student horns work fine for jazz, especially if you are still in school or in an amateur ensemble.

Small bore tenors are not as popular as they once were so horns like the Conn 4H will be a little cheaper than the nice ones.

Or save up some more money and get something better.

Btw, a 3B that someone wants to throw away is probably going to cost more to fix than you can afford.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Check out The Brass Exchange or Dillon Music. They have a few things close to your price range.
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

This would have been one for DJ (the trombone whisperer)
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Somebody was offering a Wessex Urbie copy for sale, which I happen to know is an excellent horn probably for cheap.
JLivi

Post by JLivi »

For your budget I would recommend a student horn. You should be able to find one in decent shape for $200-300. The two I think are good are the Yamaha ysl354 (I believe AKA YSL200AD) or a King 605 or 606.
King 2b+
King 3b
King 3b(f)
Conn 79h
Kanstul 1585
Olds O-21 Marching Trombone (Flugabone)
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

hyperbolica wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:21 am Somebody was offering a Wessex Urbie copy for sale, which I happen to know is an excellent horn probably for cheap.
That was me, thanks for the reminder. OP - have sent you an email.

Yeah, it's a solid horn. I have a real, first few years of production Urbie that plays great and is honestly more vertically in tune and even than a lot of modern boutique stuff. The Wessex doesn't have quite that level of ridiculous consistency, but it's an easier and more open blow, and the heavier rose bell gives it a pleasing phattitude that you don't get from the LW yellow original.
Lankythedanky

Post by Lankythedanky »

Good news! I snagged a deal from that ebay seller. Looks a little rough but no dents and he said the slide was 9.5
I talked him down to $350 (with free shipping if you could believe it)! Couldn't be happier. Thanks for all the advice it's great to see such an active community here!
sacfxdx

Post by sacfxdx »

What did you get?
Steve
Lankythedanky

Post by Lankythedanky »

It was a YSL-653
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Lankythedanky wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:52 pm It was a YSL-653
Nice horn and a great deal! :good:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Briande

Post by Briande »

There’s a conn 48h on eBay right now for $499. It will probably end up selling for more than that but since I got mine earlier this year it’s all I’ve played for jazz (replaced my 3B).
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
DaveAshley

Post by DaveAshley »

653 is a cool horn!!

That’s a solid buy.

Return to “Instruments”