Removing residue from an aluminum mute?

Kbiggs

Removing residue from an aluminum mute?

Post by Kbiggs »

I have a Wick cup mute that's about 25 years old. The felt strips at the bottom of the removable cup fell off, and I want to remove the old glue/adhesive before I use new felts. I tried fine grit sandpaper and Goo-Gone, but it's still there. What do you suggest for removing old residue from aluminum?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
BGuttman

Re: Removing residue from an aluminum mute?

Post by BGuttman »

Any glue that resists the Goo-Gone and sandpaper probably won't be an issue in gluing your new felts on. I'd just get to a reasonably smooth surface (a little roughness helps the glue adhere) and just put the new stuff on.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Regular valve oil will break down any adhesive. It may take several applications and/or several days, but it will eventually work. We used this method at the repair shop routinely, usually for the horribly stubborn bumper stickers that kids would put on rental instrument cases. Every morning, someone would check the “sticker cases” and would reapply valve oil if the sticker(s) would not come off. Many times the adhesives would dissolve in just one day. Sometimes it would take 7-10 days if the adhesive was stubborn.

This topic was discussed on a thread a few months ago. The OP was getting frustrated because none of the advice was working. The OP tried valve oil and replied that it had worked within a couple of days. Just be patient with it. You will know that process is complete when the adhesive pulls away from the mute with no effort.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Thanks guys. I’ll give the valve oil a try. If that doesn’t do it, there’s always Bruce’s way to just let it be.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I got a free harmon mute recently. I removed most of the old cork and adhesive, and just used a normal file to get rid of the rest. Very harsh but left a nice surface for glue.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Splendour

Post by Splendour »

I've also used a fine file to remove residue and provide a suitable surface to stick new corks on.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Kbiggs wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:51 pm I have a Wick cup mute that's about 25 years old. The felt strips at the bottom of the removable cup fell off, and I want to remove the old glue/adhesive before I use new felts. I tried fine grit sandpaper and Goo-Gone, but it's still there. What do you suggest for removing old residue from aluminum?
If you're impatient a Dremel tool with a sufficiently fine grit sandpaper wheel or buffer on it would do the job quickly. Wear a mask and eyepro
wayne88ny

Post by wayne88ny »

You can remove almost any adhesive (even super glue) with finger nail polish remover. If you want something even stronger you can use acetone, but I wouldn't recommend it; it's really nasty stuff.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

wayne88ny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:20 pm You can remove almost any adhesive (even super glue) with finger nail polish remover. If you want something even stronger you can use acetone, but I wouldn't recommend it; it's really nasty stuff.
I believe that acetone is in fact the primary ingredient in most fingernail polish removers.
Be very careful with it - it is indeed "nasty." Use only in a well-ventilated area.
Its use is strictly regulated in industrial settings.
Briande

Post by Briande »

WD-40 will remove a lot of sticky stuff. Spray a bit on it or on a rag and rub.
I’m not a collector, I just have too many trombones….
King 2B. King 3B. King 3B+ w/F attachment and gold brass bell. King Duo Gravis. Getzen 1047FR. Conn 6H. Conn 48H.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The problem is not sticky residue. It's dried up glue. The OP's concern is that the remaining dried on glue will not be a suitable substrate for the new glue to attach the felts.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Update:

I tried spraying it with WD40 once daily for 3-4 days. No good.

I resorted to lacquer thinner (with LOTS of ventilation), a Stanley knife blade, and ultrafine grit sandpaper. I used new stick-on felt to keep the cup in place. It’s as good as new.
Kenneth Biggs
—Mark Twain (attributed)

Return to “Modification & Repair”