21 trombones on Tár the movie

Pictures, video, etc.
alkay

21 trombones on Tár the movie

Post by alkay »

These days it's not often to have 21 trombones on a movie soundtrack! I got a call while on vacation this summer from the director of Tár (featuring Cate Blanchett as a conductor and composer) to help re-create the 1960's Urbie Green 21 Trombones sound on the tune Here's That Rainy Day. I had four days to borrow a trombone, transcribe the solo and find a studio for the recording (I would be in Calgary, Alberta in four days). They had already contacted The New Trombone Collective in the Netherlands to arrange the session for 20 bones plus rhythm section (they had recorded the tune years before). I had borrowed a .525 bore Yamaha in Saskatoon, then my ex student in Calgary got me the horn model I usually play, the YSL 697Z (which I helped develop). When I showed up at Studio D in Calgary the engineer already had the New Trombone Collective track and I played 2 or three passes on top of it. It sounded really good, Urbie would have been proud! The movie opened in North America last month and the soundtrack is available on Apple Music, Spotify, and others. I hope you get a chance to hear it or see the movie. I'm going to see it on Friday! Image
Doug Elliott

Re: 21 trombones on Tár the movie

Post by Doug Elliott »

I actually thought it was the original Urbie recording, and then I saw your credit at the end.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Looks like Universal uploaded the soundtrack to YouTube or YouTube Music (I have a subscription and it's oddly common to have trouble distinguishing what is what):

That's is a really fantastic transcription, I didn't even notice that it wasn't the original !
alkay

Post by alkay »

Hello Matt K, I can't remember how to upload pdf's (the transcription), a bit of help from anyone? Thanks! Al.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Beautiful Al! Glad that you found some help while you were in town here, and that you were able to make this happen. Urbie would be proud!

Jim Scott
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

alkay wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:14 pm Hello Matt K, I can't remember how to upload pdf's (the transcription), a bit of help from anyone? Thanks! Al.
You need one more post. I can override that once I have my coffee this am. I’ll send instructions over. Very much appreciated!!
Vegasbound

Post by Vegasbound »

Fantastic Al!
Bonearzt

Post by Bonearzt »

So incredibly beautiful!!!

In my next life I want to try to play like you guys!!!

Great playing Al !!!
Eric Edwards
Professional Instrument Repair

"If you must choose between two evils, choose the one you haven't tried yet."
"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud." -Sophocles
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

:good: "Tasty" playing ! Congrats !
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I removed you from the "new member" list. We typically make people do 3 posts before they are automatically removed and unfortunately, there are a few things with permissions that make this tricky so uploading things is something you can't do until you're a full member.

You should now see something like this when you make a post:
how_to_upload_files.jpg
If you don't or it gives you any problems, don't hesitate to contact me and I'll help get it sorted out!

-Matt
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alkay

Post by alkay »

IMG-2256.jpg
The New Trombone Collective Tár session this summer in the Netherlands, and me in Calgary a short time later at Studio D. About 4 days before this session I had to find a music store in a small town we were travelling through to get some manuscript for this transcription! Many thanks Matt, much appreciated. Al.
HTRD_0001.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

Beautiful!
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Joebone

Post by Joebone »

Wow - great playing! Just saw the film, and thought it was Urbie. I understand that Writer/Director Todd Field once was a trombonist. Great to see such things on Mx. Tar's at-home playlist...classical at the office, but quality jazz, in the nest...
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

I tried to watch that the other night and the first 30 minutes was just Cate Blanchett being pretencious. Does it get any better?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Mikebmiller wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:37 pm I tried to watch that the other night and the first 30 minutes was just Cate Blanchett being pretencious. Does it get any better?
That's... The most surface level way to see it.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
tbdana

Post by tbdana »

Matt K wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:47 pm Looks like Universal uploaded the soundtrack to YouTube or YouTube Music (I have a subscription and it's oddly common to have trouble distinguishing what is what):

That's is a really fantastic transcription, I didn't even notice that it wasn't the original !
Beautiful job, Al.

Return to “Media”