screw bell case roundup

jbeatenbough

Re: screw bell case roundup

Post by jbeatenbough »

BTW, shires has the Marco Magi screw bell case On Sale for $400 at the moment. I just got one, and so far, I think it is awesome.
John

Tenor:
King 2B Silvertone-DW 12CS
Shires 1Y,T47,Dual Valve-DW 6BL
Shires 7YLW screw bell, T08-25YC-DW 6BS
Kanstul 1555-DW 6BS

Alto:
Thomann TEB480L-Schilke 45B

Trumpet:
King Liberty Silvertone AB-Schilke M2C
King 600-Bach 7C
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

jbeatenbough wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:12 am BTW, shires has the Marco Magi screw bell case On Sale for $400 at the moment. I just got one, and so far, I think it is awesome.
Not sure if I noted this above, but I do have one of these for bass, and I like it, kinda.

Slide only works with Shires or Edwards length and width slides. No exceptions. No really, they just won't fit.

Bell section area is great. Does hold on my finger valve a little when I put it in the case, but not enough to cause any issues.

Still want to make something else, but never enough hours in the day to do something better.
Andy
Druidman

Post by Druidman »

Does anybody have any theories why Protec hasn't gotten into the screw bell game? Seems like they'd be a solid option based on the quality of their current lineup.
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Druidman wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 8:46 am Does anybody have any theories why Protec hasn't gotten into the screw bell game? Seems like they'd be a solid option based on the quality of their current lineup.
and Bam, SKB, gator, Eastman...most all of them already make screw bell French horn cases. ;)
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Chatname wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:18 am Maybe already mentioned above, in that case I missed it:
Marcus Bonna also has a “baby” detachable bell case. Looks very compact. Does anyone have any experiences with it? How does it compare to Bonnas regular detachable bell case?

I have the bass version! It’s great, crazy small and dense. I was gonna make a separate post comparing it here after my graduation
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

pompatus wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:56 am Ooh, that MB baby case for detachable bell is new! I wish they had a bass version listed.
Jlandress has or had a posting, I’m pretty sure I bought the only one they had
Jbeckett

Cut bell bass case

Post by Jbeckett »

What are the best options and any non-standard options? Bonna, Bags, just looking for something different
Burgerbob

Re: Cut bell bass case

Post by Burgerbob »

Bonna is the best.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Is it possible to just merge and sticky this topic?

viewtopic.php?p=70297#p70297
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:01 pm Is it possible to just merge and sticky this topic?

OK. Done.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

BGuttman wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:10 pm
harrisonreed wrote: Sat May 20, 2023 4:01 pm Is it possible to just merge and sticky this topic?

OK. Done.
Like a boss. Thanks Bruce!
TexHipp

Post by TexHipp »

A diversion on this thread motivated me to investigate a perceived issue with my Marcus Bonna screw bell tenor case. While the materials and construction quality seem excellent, in my short time with this case, I have felt anxious about how close the slide and the F-attachment thumb pad come to each other. Thankfully, I have not experienced any damage, but in that thread bbocaner reported damage that they attributed to the case design.

This motivated me to take a more critical look at how the trombone parts fit into the case. The Marcus Bonna screw bell case uses a system of re-positionable foam blocks secured by Velcro-type strips. This allows us to customize the way the bell section is cradled. Until this morning, I had the bell flare as close to the end of the case as possible, under the idea that the flare would move less if the case fell on that end. However, the consequence of that position is that the bell flare raises the bell section higher in the direction of the slide compartment. Adjusting the bell flare+cover an inch towards the right means that it intersects the bell stem where it's narrower. This allows the bell section to sit lower in the base of the case. This also further lowers the thumb pad, giving more clearance to the slide.

The slide is held about 1/2" deep within the lid, and now the F-attachment thumb pad peeks over the rim by only the smallest amount, I'd estimate <1/8". With the bell section secured by the sturdy Velcro strap, any jarring that would decrease that margin would probably result in more widespread damage than merely the thumb paddle denting the slide.

I also asked the manufacturer about my concerns, and André Bonna quickly and kindly addressed my concerns. He confirmed my observation that the slide is inset within the lid and the bell section is inset within the lower portion of the case. He also pointed out that the case design intentionally places the lever near the midpoint of the slide tubes.

All in all, after adjusting the bell flare so the bell stem section sits lower, I've gained some confidence in the design of the Marcus Bonna screw bell case. I will be sure that each time I place the bell stem section in the case that it's snuggled down to the floor as far as possible.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

Jumping on TexHipp's comment, I've made a few mods to the Bona case that, to me, make it feel a bit more secure. Agreed with above comments that it works great but I also find it's got a bit of (quite correctable) wiggleroom. Disclaimer of I've had no issues of my horn getting damaged through a ton of travel and really love the case, also just ever paranoid about damaging my horn.

On the bell flair side, I don't really love that the bell flare is just sitting there empty and could potentially move, so I cut a piece of foam to fit around it to keep it more stable. It also allows a rubber plunger to fit under the flair with everything still fitting flush. Feels more secure to me to have the flair filled and one more thing I can keep in the case.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2SyMJvwVvapEXRxr7

I also find the slide has a decent bit of side to side wiggle room, at least for my fairly narrow conn slide, so I added a small Velcro strip that holds it more tightly flush against the foam stopper that's there.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bmpwu7t8iiQKrPST8

Apologies for the general dirtiness of my case- partially a suit case on the road and a cat bed at home!

Has anyone tried the new MB screw bell case that's a bit smaller?
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
Bassix

Post by Bassix »

SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

I don't have a lot of experience with screw bell cases. But I thonk those coming with the Y-Fort trombones are really good:

I'll gladly take more pictures if you want to see more.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
SamBTbrn

Post by SamBTbrn »

SwissTbone wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am I don't have a lot of experience with screw bell cases. But I thonk those coming with the Y-Fort trombones are really good:

Any Chance of posting a full review of the Y-forts?
It's been hard to find any information about them besides the website and Aidan's video on them.
Best
Sam
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

SamBTbrn wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:41 pm
SwissTbone wrote: Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am I don't have a lot of experience with screw bell cases. But I thonk those coming with the Y-Fort trombones are really good:

Any Chance of posting a full review of the Y-forts?
It's been hard to find any information about them besides the website and Aidan's video on them.
Best
Sam
I have played on an Y-Fort yellow brass screw bell exclusively since October. It's definitely a really nice horn. Plays a little clearer than what I'm used from my Bach 42's, but the sound is very malleable - I like that. The valve is really good. No stickiness at all. Not as open as a Thayer, but a good compromise of openness and resistance. I'd like the throw to be a little shorter. But you can get used to it.

The slide is ok. A little noisy, but when clean and well lubricated it's still very good.

Bonus points for projection: I really have to be aware of that. Work smarter, not harder.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

What is the smallest case a available? Just got a Yammy 891z with a screwbell.. looking for a case made for a straight small jazz horn.
If anyone knows of a non standard case I'm all ears too
EZ
muschem

Post by muschem »

EZSlider wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:51 am What is the smallest case a available? Just got a Yammy 891z with a screwbell.. looking for a case made for a straight small jazz horn.
If anyone knows of a non standard case I'm all ears too
EZ
Not sure if it’s the smallest, but the Marcus Bonna for small tenor is great: https://mbcases.com/portfolio/cases/tro ... z-trombone
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

jacobgarchik wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 am The smallest cases I believe are the Lawler soft case and the Holton flat case.
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

muschem wrote:
Not sure if it’s the smallest, but the Marcus Bonna for small tenor is great: https://mbcases.com/portfolio/cases/tro ... z-trombone
Thanks Mike.. yeah the jazz screwbell looks pretty small, but looking to get out of it a bit cheaper and a bit smaller..
EZ
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

jacobgarchik wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:23 am
jacobgarchik wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:43 am The smallest cases I believe are the Lawler soft case and the Holton flat case.
Thanks but I guess maybe I needed to clarify looking for something that can actually be purchased
EZ
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

EZSlider wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:25 pm
Thanks but I guess maybe I needed to clarify looking for something that can actually be purchased
EZ
Bonna baby case may smallest and easily purchasable on the market
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

I think those cases from Peru are cheaper than Bonna and around the same size...I have heard it's relatively easy to order from him but have not done so. I think you will need some Spanish language skills. Maybe a good way to save a $100 or so! his cases look cool.
https://www.facebook.com/estuches.Jonny.Villena
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1022999752?pid=502581
Strongly considering one of these for my 891Z.. will keep y'all informed if I do
EZ
SamBTbrn

Post by SamBTbrn »

Alibaba sold copy of the Marcus Bonna screw bell. Maybe this is the company that makes the cases for Y-fort?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... arent=true
pbone3b

Post by pbone3b »

muschem wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:47 am Not sure if it’s the smallest, but the Marcus Bonna for small tenor is great: https://mbcases.com/portfolio/cases/tro ... z-trombone
I like mine. It was kind of a splurge, price-wise, but once you've decided to go with a cut bell, you're already pretty invested, so why not? I did have the pleasure of fitting it into one of those weird over-head spaces where they store the first aid gear and other stuff. None of the rollie-bags fit, but my case tucked right in.
"You blow in this end of the trombone,
and sound comes out the other end and
disrupts the cosmos."
Roswell Rudd

Check out Pat's music
http://pbone.org
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

From Littin comes a viola shaped case with a glossy exterior.
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 2.58.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2024-02-07 at 2.58.17 PM.png
https://www.littin-musik.de/littin-bags/?lang=en
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Man, I’d love one of those in Bass trombone. Hard case, latches, tiny. Darned near perfect.

Cheers,
Andy
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

elmsandr wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:19 am Man, I’d love one of those in Bass trombone. Hard case, latches, tiny. Darned near perfect.

Cheers,
Andy
And you might get misidentified as a violist.
What could be better? :idk:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I currently have a prototype from a big maker... Stay posted
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

Thein has these viola shaped cases too, apparently made by DAC

https://fb.watch/qv0_gq22x1/
bassbone1993

Post by bassbone1993 »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:40 am I currently have a prototype from a big maker... Stay posted
Oooooo 8-)
EZSlider

Post by EZSlider »

bassbone1993 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:26 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:40 am I currently have a prototype from a big maker... Stay posted
Oooooo 8-)
We're listening
EZ

Return to “Accessories”