Your vacation/travel trombone(s)

How and what to teach and learn.
MStarke

Your vacation/travel trombone(s)

Post by MStarke »

As I come to this question multiple times a year?

If you are one of these crazy people who take their instruments on vacation - and have more than one to choose from - which do you pick and why?

I am in the lucky situation that within limits I get room from my wife and kids for some practice during vacation. And on the one hand I really enjoy doing it, on the other hand I just don't like the feeling of not playing for a certain time and then to whatever degree have to get back into it.

So before almost every vacation, I reconsider which trombone(s) to take.
Some aspects that play a role:
- I don't necessarily want to take my most expensive instruments. E g right now I left my Greenhoe bass home and took my Conn
- Obviously if I might be preparing for a specific challenging project this will influence the selection. E g taking the alto when there is something coming up that I want to specifically practice for
- Space and mode of transportation of course play a role. My smallest options would be just my alto or my bass trumpet
- I have once taken the bass trumpet to be able to practice in the car at night... sounds crazy, I know :-D

When these factors above don't limit myself, I would probably either choose my large tenor/88h as it's the most universal instrument or take bass and small bore for some variety that covers (almost) everything.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
Pezza

Re: Your vacation/travel trombone(s)

Post by Pezza »

I'm lucky, every time I've had to fly with an instrument I've been on cornet or flugelhorn.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I once took my F alto to Europe on a vacation, and never even got it out.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
JohnL

Post by JohnL »

If I'm just concerned with chop maintenance, I usually travel with an Olds compact marching trombone. Sturdy (both instrument and case) and compact.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

JohnL wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:54 pm If I'm just concerned with chop maintenance, I usually travel with an Olds compact marching trombone. Sturdy (both instrument and case) and compact.
Me too. That's exactly what I travel with, although that Yamaha 350c would be a close second.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

I usually take my 3B/F. Nowadays I'd probably take my 608F. I have a trip coming up this fall, and I think I may take the bass trumpet since I think it can fit in a suitcase.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
andym

Post by andym »

I have a beater bass trumpet that I took on a work trip to Japan where we were moving around a lot. I’ve also taken my alto, a small tenor, and a very small solo alto horn on various trips. As usual, it depended on the post-trip playing repertoire.
The user formerly known as amichael on TTF.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

If you just want something to warmup on occasionally to keep chops fresh, it's hard to beat the mini pBone (alto version.)

If you want something playable for a gig possibility, never know what might come up - well then you're not really on vacation, are you?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I made a Ralph Sauer F.A.R.T. and took it and a mouthpiece with me. Helps keep the lips working.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

timothy42b wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:22 am If you just want something to warmup on occasionally to keep chops fresh, it's hard to beat the mini pBone (alto version.)

If you want something playable for a gig possibility, never know what might come up - well then you're not really on vacation, are you?
This is what I've done for Christmas or Easter vacations w/family. I bring along a practice mute, and the pBone mini actually fits in my checked bag. Good for just enough playing to stay marginally in shape - do some good practicing before you leave and when you get back, and just do a short warm-up and some scales, etc. while you're out of town. Works pretty well.

Jim Scott
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

It probably depends on what kind of trip it is, how long it will be and what awaits you when you get back home.

On the beach vacation that was a month or two out from an audition I took my main horn and wandered up into the mountains behind the hotel every day for a full session. The day a Cuban family came by on their horse to critique my William Tell will live with me forever.

If the trip involves a lot of hotel switches and long sightseeing days then having a horn can be a pain. I learned than the hard way when I dropped a horn down an Egyptian elevator shaft. I still have the horn, and it still plays.

If you have time before you have to play when you get back, why not just relax and enjoy some time off?
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

VJOFan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 am when I dropped a horn down an Egyptian elevator shaft
seems like an opportunity that should not have presented itself
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

VJOFan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 am ...

If you have time before you have to play when you get back, why not just relax and enjoy some time off?
That's what Adolf Herseth used to do. He'd put the trumpet in its case under the bed as he was preparing to leave and tell it "Stay there!".
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:14 am
VJOFan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 am If you have time before you have to play when you get back, why not just relax and enjoy some time off?
That's what Adolf Herseth used to do. He'd put the trumpet in its case under the bed as he was preparing to leave and tell it "Stay there!".
:good:

The horn will still be there, waiting for your love, when you return from your relaxing vacation.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Not an option for everyone... if I have a playing engagement a day after I get back, I'm not going to take a week off the horn.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Burgerbob wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:29 am Not an option for everyone... if I have a playing engagement a day after I get back, I'm not going to take a week off the horn.
True enough - especially for you full-time professionals.

For me, I guess time off is one of the benefits of retirement. I can now fully kick back and enjoy my (sometimes) extended vacations. [I plan to take a month-long trip this fall. Hope all my ensembles can survive without me!]

Apparently a non-playing break worked for Herseth. I never heard him sound bad.
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

ithinknot wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:01 am
VJOFan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:51 am when I dropped a horn down an Egyptian elevator shaft
seems like an opportunity that should not have presented itself
It was an old elevator. The door was accordion metal lattice work the user closed before pressing the go button. The walls were a metal cage like a shark cage but with wider bars- about the width of a trombone bell it turns out.

Squished to the side in a crowded car, my gig bag caught on something at about the third or fourth floor and fortunately (in terms of life and limb) slipped off my shoulder and summersaulted gracefully to the bottom of the shaft. I saw it all the way down.

Just a slight bend in the bell was the result. Getting access to the non-tourist residential portion of the building to retrieve it is a different story entirely.
marccromme

Post by marccromme »

British 3-valve compensated Bariton. Compact for transport, takes same mouthpiece as tenor trombone. Fine for keeping chops in tune ...
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I'm on vacation now. No instrument with me, no mouthpiece. Nada. It's called VACATION.

When I was a trumpet player, I used to take my C, my picc and my C/D Baroque. Right before my trombone exams in 1996, I took my tenor to Croatia - we'd rented a house on Hvar overlooking the harbor. I played in the olive orchard.

Now I never take an instrument. I usually need about 3-4 days to get back into shape when I return from vacation. This time it may take a little while longer as I was sick with a cold just before this vacation, so total I'll have been off playing for about 5 weeks.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

musicofnote wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 3:12 pm I'm on vacation now. No instrument with me, no mouthpiece. Nada. It's called VACATION.
And, amazingly enough, the pleasure of making music will still be there when you return.
Perhaps even more after missing it for 5 weeks.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

As someone who doesn’t do this for a living, a nice relaxing vacation to me is being able to play every day for a few hours!
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

BGuttman wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:14 am That's what Adolf Herseth used to do. He'd put the trumpet in its case under the bed as he was preparing to leave and tell it "Stay there!".
The story goes, as related by Bud himself, that 4-5 days before the end of his vacation, he would start buzzing the mouthpiece a bit at random times during the day. Most of buzzing seemed to happen on the golf course, just as someone else in his party was hitting off the tee.

:shock:
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

One of the perks of having an orchestra job is that you know exactly when you are returning to work and what you're playing. Most people won't take too much time off before Zarathustra or Bolero, but a week of playing a few notes on a pBone w/a practice mute isn't a big problem before a New Year's Day gig with waltzes and polkas. I'm sure Herseth enjoyed his holiday time off, but he would get back on his horn a few days before Mahler 5th.

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:50 pm I'm sure Herseth enjoyed his holiday time off, but he would get back on his horn a few days before Mahler 5th.
The best concert I've ever heard:
Chicago Symphony Orchestra - Mahler 5th (led off by Bud Herseth) - Boston Symphony Hall, ~1971 or 1972.
The CSO brought their A-game that night!
At the conclusion of the symphony, the audience sat in stunned and absolute silence for nearly a minute - before exploding into riotous applause.
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

Matt K wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 5:57 pm As someone who doesn’t do this for a living, a nice relaxing vacation to me is being able to play every day for a few hours!
Same here. I have a trip later in the year I'm looking forward to that I'll definitely take a trombone on. We drive there, so I won't be limited on horn size. I wake up earlier than most of my friends, so I plan to step outside in the mornings and have some good practice time. I'll look forward to being able to practice if I take any time off but don't travel too. ITF will even be a vacation of sorts for me. I'm sure it will be busy, but I won't have to work and I'll see a bunch of cool trombone stuff on a trip so I count it.
rizzo67

Post by rizzo67 »

p-bone and silent brass - the only way the plastic thing sounds good.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I take my mouthpiece and my spirometer. The horn stays home.
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

Mouthpiece and a piece of garden hose (about 10" long). Horn stays home.
Last edited by boneberg on Wed May 24, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

36H. It travels well, you can put a practice mute in, and I've got a mouthpiece that gives it the same blow as a 3B.
kingtempo504

Post by kingtempo504 »

JohnL wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:54 pm If I'm just concerned with chop maintenance, I usually travel with an Olds compact marching trombone. Sturdy (both instrument and case) and compact.
Yep same here. It's a perfect space saver.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Been thinking about taking my alto.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Doug Yeo took a Yamaha 350C on vacation. The case fit perfectly on the luggage rack in the cabin of the aircraft.
ATXBassBone

Post by ATXBassBone »

If I'm on vacation? I don't take it.
I've gone to auditions overseas with two horns.
Both Edwards tenor and bass in MB cases. I out the bass on my back tenor on my front , backpack on left side and small suitcase on the right hand.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Going on a 3 day trip by train on Sunday. I hope I will have some time these days, but still not sure if I am taking just the mouthpieces, alto or large tenor... Also dependents if my son is coming along or not.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”