Good Bass Trombones

CooperBayliff

Good Bass Trombones

Post by CooperBayliff »

So my previous post has devolved into the brass wet dreams of high schoolers among other things... But my main takeaway is that I would get more use out of a Bass Trombone, so now I want to know, what would fit my "wet dream" and what models of bass trombones should I avoid or gravitate for. I am very aware that no instrument is a 'one-size fits all' that's been apparent to me since 7th grade. I do play tuba as my main instrument, so any "air hogs" won't really bother me. I don't really know what makes a good bass trombone a good bass trombone. Any help or advice is welcome.

I should point out that I do intend to use this instrument quite often because, as a tuba player, I will always be put on the lowest part for trombone choirs and ensembles with my friends.
Vegasbound

Re: Good Bass Trombones

Post by Vegasbound »

Do yo have a trombone teacher? if not get one!

You will get well intentioned recommendations, but without knowing you, your playing or your budget again your trombone teacher should be your first port of call.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Vegasbound wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:18 am Do yo have a trombone teacher? if not get one!

You will get well intentioned recommendations, but without knowing you, your playing or your budget again your trombone teacher should be your first port of call.
I agree with this, BUT, does it really matter? He's just going to buy a Shires or an Edwards as 90% of most players do.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Budget ?
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

There is a lot to unpack in your post, but suffice to say, starting with a one size fits all bass, a used Conn or used Yamaha (though it pains me to suggest it) might not be so bad.

There are a lot of helpful knowledgeable people here, and they just need to know facts. Budget, experience, what kind of music you want to play.

I'm guessing you're a high school freshman, 7th grade was two years ago, you don't have a trombone instructor, and you want to play classical trombone music with your friends. If that's true, all that is great. Borrow your school's horn, or shell out $1500 for a used 62H or a Yamaha. Then get a teach. They can't help you if you don't got something to play on in lessons.

You need perspective on all this too. There is no way a 7th grade tuba player can know that there is no such thing as a "one size fits all" trombone. Also bring your air from tuba world, but learn to use it like a trombone player.

"As a tuba player, you will always be put on the tuba part"

The forum/world here is full of enthusiastic trombonists who won't let you take their part from them just cuz you think you've got air :D :cool: :tongue:
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The two main problems with high school kids are that they know everything and they don't have any experience. When you get more experience, you will understand how little you know, and how much you thought you knew was wrong.

I can remember calling my mother from the phone on the 3rd floor of the New England Conservatory dormitory and insisting "I am fully aware of everything that happens around me". Oh, jeez, cringe. Anyway, you'll find your own examples, I'm sure.

First step is maybe a little humility. Wide-eyed curiosity about the world. Find a way to go to a music conference and play a bunch of tubas or trombones. Take notes. Make video recordings. Don't pass judgment (good/bad) so much as find categories to rank things in (good range, very flexible, great valves, good low/difficult high range, etc...)

Don't eliminate an instrument from consideration until you've played it. Even if it doesn't look great. Even if it's a little out of price range. Even if it's being sold by someone who knows nothing about it or is clearly lying. The best horn may be the one with the most non-playing marks against it. Repairs usually cost less than a new horn. Don't let the cosmetics of stuff get tied up with your self worth.

Price will eventually occur to you as a driving factor. Cheap horns can be new or used. Lots of kids are drawn to cheap junk because shiny >> everything else. There are a lot of great used horns out there that look like junk but play great. Just remember looks doesn't have anything to do with how something plays, and most aspects of how an instrument plays are personal. My best playing horns are all old, and half of them don't have much lacquer at all.

A new bass trombone less than ~$800? Check it out so you know what to expect next time. New bass trombone over ~$6000? Check it out, but try not to fall in love with it. Used bass bone ~$2300? Check it out. That's a realistic price for something good. Might still be over priced, but check it out and compare.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Buy the Yamaha 613G for sale here. Done!
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:14 am Buy the Yamaha 613G for sale here. Done!
I've been playing my Shires bass for about 10 years now. I never really loved another horn, and I've tried more than a few, including other people's Shires.

The other day I tried a friend's 613H and it left me questioning everything. If I went back in time and could choose differently, I'm not sure I'd even have to think about it.
I understand the 613H and G differ mostly in bell size (9.5" v 10"), but I imagine you really couldn't go wrong with either.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

bassboy wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 1:47 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 10:14 am Buy the Yamaha 613G for sale here. Done!
I've been playing my Shires bass for about 10 years now. I never really loved another horn, and I've tried more than a few, including other people's Shires.

The other day I tried a friend's 613H and it left me questioning everything. If I went back in time and could choose differently, I'm not sure I'd even have to think about it.
I understand the 613H and G differ mostly in bell size (9.5" v 10"), but I imagine you really couldn't go wrong with either.
There's another thread about this, but the 613/613G (yellow and gold models) and the 613H are pretty different horns. Not sure why they used the same model number. They're all good, for what it's worth.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

I agree with what Aiden says. The 613 and 613G were models very much in the Yamaha mold and tradition. The 613H is a very different beast. I have heard a couple of people refer to it as the best Bach 50 that Bach never built.

A 613H came through my shop about a year ago for some basic work (chem clean and dents removed). I thought it was an exceptional instrument and it did have similar feel to a good Bach 50.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
bassboy

Post by bassboy »

Good tips Aidan and Brian! Thanks!
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

There are a lot of great horns out there that may not be the most "modern" design, but are definitely well made if you are looking for a double valve horn. Olds made some very nice horns like the P-24G, which was an improved version of the S-24 with bigger valves. You see them sometimes, and if they are in good shape, definitely worth it. The King 8B and Benge 290 are also worth a mention in addition to the previously mentioned Yamaha horns.

If you open up the discussion to include dependent double valve horns then there are even more possibilities to consider.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone

Return to “Instruments”