Removing Oversleeves from a Conn Slide

Mamaposaune

Removing Oversleeves from a Conn Slide

Post by Mamaposaune »

Has anyone removed the oversleeves from a Conn 88H slide? What effect did it have on playability? Is it a difficult modification? Would it be sacrilege on a late Elkhart vintage slide?
My favorite horns have lightweight slides. Nickle outers on my Bachs; brass outers with no oversleeves on my Courtois bass. I just like the feel, response, and overall balance of the horn.
Recently I picked up a very responsive newer 88H bell section to pair with my vintage slide, and I like almost everything about it, especially the tone.
However it is a little slide-heavy, meaning it requires extra effort to hold it in a horizontal playing position. I even put a counterweight on it, which helps but it makes the horn heavier and (maybe my imagination) a bit less resonant.
In addition, there is quite a bit of wear on the oversleeves while the rest of the slide looks pretty good - cosmetically remiving the oversleeves will be a better match to the near-new bell section.
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Tue May 16, 2023 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
JohnL

Re: Removing ferrules from a Conn Slide

Post by JohnL »

Are you talking about ferrules or oversleeves?
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

JohnL wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:56 am Are you talking about ferrules or oversleeves?
Oversleeves, I would think.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

"there is quite a bit of wear on the ferrules while the rest of the slide looks pretty good"
Which is one of the reasons they're there... I have one old horn with no sleeves, and the brass tube is worn all the way through.

Sound, balance, and structural integrity are all important in their own ways
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

If you like the sound with it as it is now, removing the oversleeves will generally change the response a bit due to the reduced weight. Also depending on how much wear there is on the outer tubes, you could compromise the structural integrity of the slide.

There's also the question of whether the sound coming out of the horn is affected that much, or just whether it feels more "alive" to you less weight on the outer slide. Also there is a difference with Nickel Silver outers and Brass, regardless of whether there are oversleeves (soldered or drawn in) or not. It's a harder material and definitely does respond differently.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

Yes - the oversleeves are what I meant. Post corrected! I should have known better.
Last edited by Mamaposaune on Tue May 16, 2023 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mamaposaune

Post by Mamaposaune »

tbonesullivan wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:43 pm If you like the sound with it as it is now, removing the oversleeves will generally change the response a bit due to the reduced weight. Also depending on how much wear there is on the outer tubes, you could compromise the structural integrity of the slide.

There's also the question of whether the sound coming out of the horn is affected that much, or just whether it feels more "alive" to you less weight on the outer slide. Also there is a difference with Nickel Silver outers and Brass, regardless of whether there are oversleeves (soldered or drawn in) or not. It's a harder material and definitely does respond differently.
I think I would expect a change in sound, and I realize it's hard to predict whether I will like it more or less. I am sure that I will like the lighter weight and better balance.
I like my Courtois bass, which came with a lightweight brass slide (no oversleeves)
dj4eagle

Re: Removing Oversleeves from a Conn Slide

Post by dj4eagle »

For posterity, I had this done to my stock 88HO's .547 slide. The horn did feel somewhat different after the surgery, but I can't recall in what way (I was also using a different mouthpiece than I was used to at the time), and it plays great today when we'll adjusted.

100% worth it. Slide feels much closer to the LW one on my 48H. The tech also installed a smaller diameter outer slide grip which further reduced weight.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

Two things to consider. The slide-to-bell balance ratio is built into the 88h. Light bell, heavy slide is actually part of the success of the 88h. Most light slides are made from the stiffer nickel silver, which changes the sound, and is usually accompanied by a different bell design to balance those changes.

On the other hand, I have a 525 slide for my 88h with no oversleeves, and I love how it plays.

If you're having wear problems, you can try a leather wrap. Also consider asymmetrical oversleeves - long on bottom short on top or none on top. I've seen both.

I don't think this mod would ruin an 88h except maybe in the eyes of a collector. If you're playing the horn, i wouldn't worry about what other people think.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I found that on my setup that was closely resembling an 88, I found a shallower mouthpiece worked really well. I was using usually an E cup but sometimes C+. Megumi Kanda uses a D cup on her Greenhoe “C”, which is their take on an 88 style horn. The leadpipe on these tends to be fairly open, like a 2.5 in shires terminology, or so I’ve been told… so you can put a little more “resistance” or shallowness to lighten up the sound a little.

Return to “Modification & Repair”