Bach 36B mods

johntarr

Bach 36B mods

Post by johntarr »

Hello All,

I have two questions regarding some modifications to a Corporation 36B. This 36 is in decent shape and plays well. I noticed that there is some corrosion inside the lead pipe so the surface isn’t smooth, can that affect how the horn plays? If I were to replace the lead pipe, what would be a good choice? I’ve seen offerings from M/K Drawing and the Brass Ark, any recommendations?

The second question is about the two braces that hold the F attachment tubing to the bell. would it be worthwhile to have one or both removed, and in the later case have it moved to the space between the F tubing and the collar that holds the bell flare? Would the bell become more resonant, and is there any risk involved?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions or reports of experience,

John
brassmedic

Re: Bach 36B mods

Post by brassmedic »

The MV36 Brad Close/Brass Ark pipe that I make is great. But if you're just worried about the corrosion, you could always put a test tube stopper in the end of the leadpipe and then pour enough white vinegar down the slide tube to cover the leadpipe and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then dump out the vinegar and brush it out with baking soda to neutralize the acid, and rinse it out really well. That should remove any deposits that are inside the leadpipe. Or have a tech give it a chem cleaning. Not that I don't want to sell a leadpipe, but...
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

brassmedic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:09 am The MV36 Brad Close/Brass Ark pipe that I make is great.
The truth!...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
johntarr

Post by johntarr »

brassmedic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:09 am The MV36 Brad Close/Brass Ark pipe that I make is great. But if you're just worried about the corrosion, you could always put a test tube stopper in the end of the leadpipe and then pour enough white vinegar down the slide tube to cover the leadpipe and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then dump out the vinegar and brush it out with baking soda to neutralize the acid, and rinse it out really well. That should remove any deposits that are inside the leadpipe. Or have a tech give it a chem cleaning. Not that I don't want to sell a leadpipe, but...
Thanks Brad! What makes the MV36 Close/Brass Ark so great? This is an earnest question because I have considered buying one of your lead pipes.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

johntarr wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 1:02 am
brassmedic wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 12:09 am The MV36 Brad Close/Brass Ark pipe that I make is great. But if you're just worried about the corrosion, you could always put a test tube stopper in the end of the leadpipe and then pour enough white vinegar down the slide tube to cover the leadpipe and let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then dump out the vinegar and brush it out with baking soda to neutralize the acid, and rinse it out really well. That should remove any deposits that are inside the leadpipe. Or have a tech give it a chem cleaning. Not that I don't want to sell a leadpipe, but...
Thanks Brad! What makes the MV36 Close/Brass Ark so great? This is an earnest question because I have considered buying one of your lead pipes.
Well, I copied it from Noah's exceptional Mt. Vernon era leadpipe. It has a good open feel, lots of core and projection, and excellent slotting.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com

Return to “Modification & Repair”