Post by Vegasbound »

Full details here

https://www.muvac.com/en/vac/guerzenich ... ln-a3788d7

Closing date May 25th

Audition date June 16th
MStarke

Re: Gurzenich Orch Kolne - bass bone job

Post by MStarke »

Great orchestra with a relatively large trombone and overall brass section.
We luckily have many great orchestras in Germany also outside the Berlin and Munich philharmonics.
Most larger cities have really great orchestras and many smaller ones are also to be considered.
Plus of course the radio symphony orchestras.

I studied trombone in Cologne for some time and thereby know the majority of the trombone section to some degree. My professor in Cologne (Uli Flad) had been solo trombone with the orchestra before that.

From my knowledge they play quite a lot of opera which includes a lot of the big repertoire and continue to also maintain a good concert schedule.
Here is for example a nice recording of Heldenleben:

They have been almost traditionally known for a loud, but good trombone section. In particular one person who is a really really great trombonist, but may sometimes have a different perception of dynamic ;-)

Also good to know, but maybe (?) not too important for an academy position:
On the one hand they are known to play quite a bit of programs on barogue and/or classical trombones (bass of course in F with a handle). On the other hand in regular settings the section typically plays German trombones.
I would think both is not a huge issue for academy, but may need a bit of adaption in playing.

Personally I am really looking forward to a summer music week/vacation with the family where one of the bass trombonists from the orchestra will be the brass tutor.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Gigs, Events, Jobs, & Vacancies”