My History of listening to Jazz

Grah

My History of listening to Jazz

Post by Grah »

I am starting to get a bit long in the tooth and at the present time, following a fall, I am not able to play. This has enabled me to listen to my record collection. I am finding that I just love the bands I listened to as a young man. One of my favorites is Kenny Ball and his Jazzmen. I used to follow them around the London suburbs jazz clubs and attend broadcasts. I think they played a very swinging style which they always said was based on the Chicago Style. That's not surprising because Eddie Condon was a huge Favorite of mine and I have a huge collection of his recordings. He does indeed Swing and had some great players in his band.

Anyway, has a listen to this Kenny Ball broadcast because it demonstrates all the great playing abilities of his band:

Of course, Louis Armstrong was my absolute favorite jazz trumpet player. One of my recordings of Kenny and Louis playing together is just the greatest!
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Posaunus

Re: My History of listening to Jazz

Post by Posaunus »

Grah,

So sorry to learn that you're not playing now. Hope that's temporary.

Kenny Ball's Jazzmen were a great ensemble - don't see that any more. Sort of the British Dukes of Dixieland, with class!

Can't forget the original:

Best wishes on your recovery. Don't forget us at TromboneChat!
Grah

Post by Grah »

You are quite right about the "great ensemble". Historically, Kenny had a fantastic list of trombone players over the years. The very best in British jazz!
Grah

(Transcribing jazz solos is fraught with difficulties because exact rhythmic notation is well-nigh impossible. So listen carefully because it's the only way to learn how to play jazz trombone so that we can return to the Golden Age.) 8-)
Grah

Post by Grah »

This is just one of the bands and the mates I want to get back with:

https://redlandcitybands.org.au/smith-street-stompers/
Grah

Return to “History of the Trombone”