Tuning B-Flat

How and what to teach and learn.
AlexBassBone

Tuning B-Flat

Post by AlexBassBone »

Hello! I have a problem, the trombone is all tuned in the whole register, but it is in the first position, the high and low B flat, there are always high pitches :idk:

I play relaxed and etc, but there is no way. I always have to pull out the tuning slide a lot!

Someone else happens? What solution would you implement?

Thaaaaanks! :good:
JeffBone44

Re: Tunning B-Flat

Post by JeffBone44 »

It could be a mechanical issue with your playing. Recently I was having a problem with my pitch being very high, and I was also pulling out my tuning slide more than usual. After a lesson to correct my embouchure and mouthpiece placement my intonation improved, and now I can play with the tuning slide in its regular spot.

With some trombones 1st position is too high. Are you playing right up against the bumpers? I never play 1st position all the way in, there's always a little bit of wiggle room in case I need to adjust. This is also so that I can play a slide vibrato in 1st position.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

What trombone and mouthpiece?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:23 pm What trombone and mouthpiece?
Hi!

I play with Yamaha YBL830, and the mouthpiece is a MST STUDIO (27'7 rim, and 7'7 bore).

Thanks!
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

JeffBone44 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:09 pm It could be a mechanical issue with your playing. Recently I was having a problem with my pitch being very high, and I was also pulling out my tuning slide more than usual. After a lesson to correct my embouchure and mouthpiece placement my intonation improved, and now I can play with the tuning slide in its regular spot.

With some trombones 1st position is too high. Are you playing right up against the bumpers? I never play 1st position all the way in, there's always a little bit of wiggle room in case I need to adjust. This is also so that I can play a slide vibrato in 1st position.
hi!

Yes, I'll review all this, and see if it's placement in general, embouchure, body, etc...

It may also be that today was not a good day hahaha

Thanks!
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

AlexBassBone wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:20 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 2:23 pm What trombone and mouthpiece?
Hi!

I play with Yamaha YBL830, and the mouthpiece is a MST STUDIO (27'7 rim, and 7'7 bore).

Thanks!
830 is built pretty short. Even with a larger mouthpiece I was pushed out on the tuning slide 25mm or so.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Push in your tuning slide. Play first position 1.5 inches off the bumpers.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Alex, I hope it's not our mouthpiece :-) Would be surprised if that's the case. As Aidan states the trombone might be comparably short.

And thanks a lot for your IG message! Happy that you enjoy the mouthpiece!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
AlexBassBone

Post by AlexBassBone »

MStarke wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:08 am Alex, I hope it's not our mouthpiece :-) Would be surprised if that's the case. As Aidan states the trombone might be comparably short.

Hi Markus!

no way! Of course not, it won't be because of the mouthpiece, always. This has happened to me with this trombone.

Great mouthpiece! :good:
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

harrisonreed wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 7:19 pm Push in your tuning slide. Play first position 1.5 inches off the bumpers.
For me it's easier to play an instrument in tune if Bb is off the bumpers especially since the A varies a lot over here. I just played with an organ tuned A=443 :-) last sunday. In that case Bb is not THAT much off the bumpers. You do what you have to, you just need to adopt. To play the Bb off the bumpers also allows for an intune high D on first in closed position but it only works if A=440 or if I have cut the tuningslide :wink: . That high d is what settles it for me, because I need that more than the low b in seventh position. I often tune Bb so much off the bumpers to barely have a 7:th pos. My Bb is about 2.5 cm off the bumpers.

Bb off the bumper is also how we teach trombone in Sweden since it is how teachers under education are taught to teach their students. We teach "off the bumper" and how much this really is is for the student to discover.

One reason to play with the tuningslide pushed in is that
In Europe we often play A=442 or even higher.
A=442 is often how pianos are tuned here and is also how classical symphony orchestras tune to the oboe or higher. For us trombones from USA are usually built too flat for this. I had to cut the tuningslide on my Conn 88h when I had those gigs.

To make a long story short I guess your bass is built to be played in A=443 to also satisfy the European market. In US you pull to 440 and then the trombone works world wide.

/Tom
Last edited by imsevimse on Sat May 06, 2023 9:25 am, edited 14 times in total.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

AlexBassBone wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 5:34 am
MStarke wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:08 am Alex, I hope it's not our mouthpiece :-) Would be surprised if that's the case. As Aidan states the trombone might be comparably short.

Hi Markus!

no way! Of course not, it won't be because of the mouthpiece, always. This has happened to me with this trombone.

Great mouthpiece! :good:
Thanks Alex!
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Teaching & Learning”