R.I.P. Don Sebesky

Discuss the people that make the music here.
WGWTR180

R.I.P. Don Sebesky

Post by WGWTR180 »

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/D ... y-20230429

Accomplished trombonist and brilliant orchestrator Don Sebesky has passed away. If you ever had an opportunity to perform anything that he orchestrated you were fortunate. May he rest in peace.
mattmce

Re: R.I.P. Don Sebesky

Post by mattmce »

What a great talent. He'll be missed.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

An old friend who played in the Kenton band in the 50s adds a little story:

...Sebesky joined the Kenton band in 1959 while they were in LA and beginning to go on a tour. ...Sebesky needed a way to get to NY so that was his reason to join. When they got to NY the band recorded the album STANDARDS IN SILHOUETTE. When the recording was finished he quit the band and stayed in NY.

He told a similar story about Jimmy Knepper joining the band. Brings new meaning to "hitching a ride".
Last edited by baileyman on Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

baileyman wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:25 am An old friend who played in the Kenton band in the 50s adds a little story:

...Sebesky joined the Kenton band in 1969 while they were in LA and beginning to go on a tour. ...Sebesky needed a way to get to NY so that was his reason to join. When they got to NY the band recorded the album STANDARDS IN SILHOUETTE. When the recording was finished he quit the band and stayed in NY.

He told a similar story about Jimmy Knepper joining the band. Brings new meaning to "hitching a ride".

Yes but not uncommon in that era.
baileyman

Post by baileyman »

Return to “Musicians”