Pickett Bass trombone "S" cup

JBone

Pickett Bass trombone "S" cup

Post by JBone »

Has anyone had experience with the S (shallow) cup for Pickett's self-branded bass trombone mouthpiece models? Particularly on one of their rims between 1-1.5 in their in-house sizing system?

What sort of experience have you had? Is the cup TOO shallow for real bass trombone work and more of a doubler's cheater piece for high stuff? Or is it, as intended, an efficient and brilliant sounding cup and backbore? Does the cupsize work on the larger rim sizes? Or is it imbalanced in some way?

Interested in any experiences (or suggestions on anything else that might fit the same niche... efficient >29mm rim sized bass pieces).
JonTheCadet

Re: Pickett Bass trombone "S" cup

Post by JonTheCadet »

I don't play a Pickett but I have something similar to your description. I have a Klier 02DL-R.

Something that works, oddly and surprisingly, is the 6.0mm throat. It's tiny. Smaller than my tenor 55L, which has a 7.11mm throat. Everything is smaller than the 55L except for the super comfy wide 29mm rim.

I find that mouthpiece very responsive. Klier blanks might seem light, but they aren't. I can play up to a high C down to a pedal G with ease. Makes excerpts like Hary Janos much easier. As you noted, it is a very efficient mouthpiece, especially in trigger range. It is, however, an EXTREMELY bright mouthpiece. It takes a very small push in air and dynamics would go 'boom' like a Saturn V.

I remember playing Creation with this mouthpiece and a special tenor-bass leadpipe. It works very well, especially on No.27 where there are jumps up to a G above staff. My teacher, who was playing next to me, said it was an appropriate sound, but it lacked 'front' and 'attack'.

Best regards,

Jon
MTbassbone

Post by MTbassbone »

I played a Pickett bass piece a while back, but I don't remember the size. I currently play a wider rim smaller cup bass trombone mouthpiece. It's a Doug Elliott with a mW112 or 113 lexan rim, J cup, and J8 shank. I find it very comfortable, and I don't have to work to hard to get the sound I want. I also have a Mt Vernon 1.5G that I enjoy too. The Pickett mouthpieces are very well made.
JBone

Post by JBone »

JonTheCadet wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 am I don't play a Pickett but I have something similar to your description. I have a Klier 02DL-R.
I had forgotten about Klier somehow, which is a fantastic suggestion since I'm unsure about dropping $200+ on a probably unwise experiment off the hop, anyway.

Unfortunately, neither Steve is unwise enough to stock something with specs like the ones I'm looking at, so it'd be some manner of custom order.
JonTheCadet

Post by JonTheCadet »

JBone wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:55 pm
JonTheCadet wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:54 am I don't play a Pickett but I have something similar to your description. I have a Klier 02DL-R.
I had forgotten about Klier somehow, which is a fantastic suggestion since I'm unsure about dropping $200+ on a probably unwise experiment off the hop, anyway.

Unfortunately, neither Steve is unwise enough to stock something with specs like the ones I'm looking at, so it'd be some manner of custom order.
Their custom order price is exactly the same as their exclusive price, 95 Euros I think with German VAT and without shipping. Sorry to disappoint but I don't think I will be selling mine. It was made for Matyas Veer, and he sold it to me for a very good price.

Klier mouthpieces also has an unorthodox, round (Slokar?) rim profile. The inner diameter is 29mm but the outer profile is a lot wider than a 60.
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Zombie thread alert...

I was perusing Dillon Music and noted they have a (used) Pickett 1.5S mouthpiece in stock. Since this topic was posted, has anyone given this depth (in any rim size) a shot? How does it compare to, say, a Bach 1½G in depth? I imagine the D cup is more like a 60 in depth (or maybe deeper?) and the M cup is somewhere in between.

For those that play this brand's 1.5, what would you compare it to? I've read that Pickett's specs may be misleading. As I transition away from tenor I'm looking for a bass trombone mouthpiece in the 1¼ or 59 (~28.5mm or so) range (60 is too big and thin for me) that isn't too deep; I only play bass for big band work.
Kevin Afflerbach
'57 Conn 6H, Warburton 9M/9D/T3★
'62 Holton 168, Bach 5GL
Getzen 1052FD Eterna, Pickett 1.5S
F. Schmidt 2103 BBb Tuba, Laskey 30G
Wessex Tubas TE360P Bombino
John Packer JP274MKII Euphonium, Robert Tucci RT-7C
Kevbach33

Post by Kevbach33 »

Bumping this thread by saying that I purchased the 1.5S at Dillon Music last week, and it arrived today.

Impressions:
  • It's a weighty piece, more mass to it than either long Schilke I own. Very nicely made.
  • The rim is super comfy, neither round nor flat, and with enough bite to keep my lips secure.
  • The diameter of this piece is greater than my 58 (and Getzen 1½G), but may not be as big as they specify (1.127"). It "feels" smaller than my 59 which has a fairly soft bite.
  • If this is supposed to be the "shallow" piece, there's nothing shallow about it. It's like a 59 in depth, a little deeper than my 58. I shudder at how deep the medium and deep cups must be...
  • A great match for the Getzen, as it gives a bit more depth of sound than the Schilke pieces do. Could be a combination of multiple factors though, including me.
I'll say more after a few rehearsals on it, including tonight. It's a great piece so far.

Return to “Mouthpieces”