Bach 36 Bell - Compatible Slide Options?

LimpTrombone

Bach 36 Bell - Compatible Slide Options?

Post by LimpTrombone »

For context:
I’ve been looking for a medium bore quintet/ jazz lead horn with an F attachment to replace my raw brass, (.508 bore,) Yamaha 691 since I find myself wanting a valve rather often in a chamber music context, and my custom shires w/ Thayer takes far to much air for smaller ensembles and my current endurance capabilities. (Band director chops.)

A trumpet player in my quintet has a Bach 36 with a trash slide he’s willing to let go for cheap.

The question:

Does anyone have experience with what slides may be compatible with a Bach 36 bell? I could always and likely will pay to have the slide repaired but I like the idea of a dual bore frankenbone, or at least the option of a slightly tighter than .525 slide & leadpipe if I need to play lead for an extended period.

Thoughts? Wisdom? Rude remarks?
Burgerbob

Re: Bach 36 Bell - Compatible Slide Options?

Post by Burgerbob »

Only a Bach 36 slide, realistically. Having a new one built with some parts of your old slide isn't the hardest thing in the world, though.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I’ve been responding to your other thread off and on and forgot that you have the large shires. Another option is to get a 525 or 508/525 for your Shires. Maybe an 8” bell too if you want a little more pep. That would let you maybe keep the Yamaha as-is for lead and I think still fit in your budget if you’re looking for pre owned.
MichaelMedrick

Post by MichaelMedrick »

I had a slide built by Eric Edwards that was .508-.525 using a King 3b lower tubes because other .508 tubes are too short. I liked it and used it for years. I eventually sold it because I never found a mouthpiece compatible to me and the horn.

Your quickest route to what you want might be to try to find a Yamaha 356. Those are .500-.525 are are greatly under-appreciated as in it should not cost an arm and a leg to find one. I have had several students plating 356s F attachments or 353s, the straight models for versatile playing. I had the same above mouthpiece problem with the 356 I had for a while.

Bon chance!!
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I have a Bach Mercedes with 8” bell and as accurately S I can tell a .525” slide. I have been wondering recently if it would fit a 36. I’d say it’s about 50/50 chance and if I get a chance to try one I’ll pass the message on. The Mercedes seems to have some nice chromed out parts on the hand brace etc. and they go for pretty cheap. I was thinking of sinking a bit of cash into getting my slide tidied up a bit, I’m more likely to do that if I know it would fit a 36. Your post was a good reminder I planned to check this out.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

MrHCinDE wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:36 am I have a Bach Mercedes with 8” bell and as accurately S I can tell a .525” slide. I have been wondering recently if it would fit a 36. I’d say it’s about 50/50 chance and if I get a chance to try one I’ll pass the message on. The Mercedes seems to have some nice chromed out parts on the hand brace etc. and they go for pretty cheap. I was thinking of sinking a bit of cash into getting my slide tidied up a bit, I’m more likely to do that if I know it would fit a 36. Your post was a good reminder I planned to check this out.
I'd be very surprised if it didn't fit. All Bach trombones 36 size and below fit the same connector.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Interestingly, I have a Bach Liberty which is an 8” bell (also appears to be two piece, fwiw) but has a Bach 42 slide connector. I’m actually figuring out what I want to do to sell it so if someone wanted a Bach 42 compatible bell section for a medium bore… hit me up.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I don’t think I tried that Mercedes slide on my 42 bell section, must test that also just in case!

The tuning slide from the Mercedes is a perfect fit on my 42 btw., which I believe is also the same as a 36.

As an aside, originally I had in mind to get that (2-piece) Mercedes bell set up to use on my modular 42. Matt’s liberty bell section would be a nice alternative without having to let a tech loose on it.
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

MichaelMedrick wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:09 am Your quickest route to what you want might be to try to find a Yamaha 356. Those are .500-.525 are are greatly under-appreciated as in it should not cost an arm and a leg to find one....
If you can get past the Bach 36 requirement, this is a great suggestion. I recently got a Yamaha 455 (nearly identical to the 356), and - I'm not typically a Yamaha fan - I love the thing. The 455 has no F attachment, but a 456 does. 500/525 bore, 8" bell. There are several on eBay direct from Japan right now. I'm kind of addicted to mine. I'd love to get the F attachment version.

Another option would be the Yamaha 350C - kind of an odd horn, but its similar to the 455, and fulfills the need for an F attachment, dual bore 8" bell. Interesting little horn. Mine is for sale. Just thought I'd mention that.
Thrawn22

Post by Thrawn22 »

I had the receiver on my 36G bell adjusted to take my Conn large bore slides.
6H (K series)
6H (early 60s)
4H/5H custom bell
78H ('53)
78H (K series)
78H/36BG /2547 slide
8H
88HN
71H (dependant valves)
72H
35H alto (K series)

Return to “Modification & Repair”