3BF Lever modification

WGWTR180

3BF Lever modification

Post by WGWTR180 »

Has anyone had their F lever modified on a King 3BF to make it more comfortable to hold? I just bought a very nice playing one that I want/need to have modified. Thanks.
Matt K
Verified

Re: 3BF Lever modification

Post by Matt K »

All that I've done historically is add a little woodwind cork to the bracing and lever. Doesn't do much to change ergonomics, but is quite comfortable.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Matt K wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 6:53 am All that I've done historically is add a little woodwind cork to the bracing and lever. Doesn't do much to change ergonomics, but is quite comfortable.
Any Pics?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Unfortunately, not at the moment as my King is currently in the shop getting a Getzen bell added to it but I'll post pics when that's all done!
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

Thanks!
boneagain

Post by boneagain »

Have you considered bending a large paperclip (or chunk of copper 12 gauge wire) to mock up something you think will work? I suspect if you do you will find where there are not many examples of bell-brace-under-thumb triggers that pivot in the same direction as the thumb joint.

If you bend up something that looks feasible I bet you could find a tech to make it though. And it WOULD be nice if the direction of that pivot could change!

I suspect anchoring the pivot over the thumb and using the same kind of linkage seen on the Benge 175F would be the least challenging routing. Even with that. pivot placement and linkage bends to clear the thumb would be... entertaining.

Perhaps you could PM a couple of the (out of my league) techs on the forum, especially if you have a promising looking mockup?

Good luck on your worthy quest!

Dave
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Have you worked out exactly what makes the current arrangement uncomfortable for you? If not...

That said, a good option would be a string linkage with pivot above the thumb - basically the Holton TR150 or 159 arrangement, though with the string attachment bar landing behind the rotor (i.e. towards the tuning slide) because of the forward placement of the King rotor and in order to give the correct rotation direction.

This way you retain a short throw, but your thumb is further from the pivot point giving greater mechanical advantage and a much more linear feel to the travel. The thumb bar could even be made adjustable, but as you'd be doing this with a tech you might as well keep it all solid and just have them fit it to the paw in question.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

ithinknot wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:11 am Have you worked out exactly what makes the current arrangement uncomfortable for you? If not...

That said, a good option would be a string linkage with pivot above the thumb - basically the Holton TR150 or 159 arrangement, though with the string attachment bar landing behind the rotor (i.e. towards the tuning slide) because of the forward placement of the King rotor and in order to give the correct rotation direction.

This way you retain a short throw, but your thumb is further from the pivot point giving greater mechanical advantage and a much more linear feel to the travel. The thumb bar could even be made adjustable, but as you'd be doing this with a tech you might as well keep it all solid and just have them fit it to the paw in question.
boneagain wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 5:50 am Have you considered bending a large paperclip (or chunk of copper 12 gauge wire) to mock up something you think will work? I suspect if you do you will find where there are not many examples of bell-brace-under-thumb triggers that pivot in the same direction as the thumb joint.

If you bend up something that looks feasible I bet you could find a tech to make it though. And it WOULD be nice if the direction of that pivot could change!

I suspect anchoring the pivot over the thumb and using the same kind of linkage seen on the Benge 175F would be the least challenging routing. Even with that. pivot placement and linkage bends to clear the thumb would be... entertaining.

Perhaps you could PM a couple of the (out of my league) techs on the forum, especially if you have a promising looking mockup?

Good luck on your worthy quest!

Dave
Thanks to you both! Just saw your responses.

Return to “Modification & Repair”