Are there any jazz trombonists that double on tenor/alto. Just curious, would like to know.

Discuss the people that make the music here.
Doug Elliott

Re: Are there any jazz trombonists that double on tenor/alto. Just curious, would like to know.

Post by Doug Elliott »

I do
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
EriKon

Re: Are there any jazz trombonists that double on tenor/alto. Just curious, would like to know.

Post by EriKon »

Wouldn't call myself a great alto player but I already played it in jazz concerts too
Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

I've been under the impression that ML played alto exclusively. So let me restate this question. Are there any renowned jazz trombonists that double on tenor and alto AND have released any recordings readily available for purchase?
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Conrad Herwig did, as best I can tell, a single track in alto trombone. I owned his Conn 36H for awhile that he used to record. It was on an Eddie Palmeri album. Something to the effect of “Bach goes Bata”.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

There are not many trombonists playing tenor and doubling on alto for commercially released jazz albums.

The above post aside, I was aware of zero. I bet James Morrison could but I couldn't find any evidence of him doing it.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

To be fair, the alto had a reversed valve, so it was in Bb/Eb - work done at the factory as best I can recall, when he was a Conn-Selmer artist otherwise playing NY Bachs. I still kick myself for selling that alto to this day...
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

As I wrote in another thread, there was a Czech trombonist Zdenek Pulec (1936-2010), who played classical and jazz at a high level on tenor and alto.

Trombonjon

Post by Trombonjon »

Thank you guys for the info.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Wow Pulec is sounding pretty great in that first video. Guy was a beast.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

I double on tenor and alto, both for orchestral and improvisational purposes.

I have written Big Band compositions and arrangements with alto lead, or alto solo feature, that's been played with my band - should anyone be interested.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Trombonjon wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:42 pm:?:
I do. A lot.
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

Digidog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:05 pm I double on tenor and alto, both for orchestral and improvisational purposes.

I have written Big Band compositions and arrangements with alto lead, or alto solo feature, that's been played with my band - should anyone be interested.
The main problem I have had playing lead on alto is that I don't have mutes that fit...
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Neo Bri wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:51 pm
Digidog wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 2:05 pm I double on tenor and alto, both for orchestral and improvisational purposes.

The main problem I have had playing lead on alto is that I don't have mutes that fit...
Flugelhorn mutes fit alto generally. I have a Wick straight mute (says. Flugelhorn/Alto. Trbn.) that is great on the alto (also works well on some bass trumpets). I have a JoRal harmon that fits the alto (I think there are a couple of contemporary solos that need harmon). I also have an old Robertson (?) cup mute that someone shaved down the corks - probably to fit an extra small tenor, but it fits my alto. It works well, and I had an alto part on a modern arrangement that asked for alto w/a cup mute and this worked well. H & B makes a Flugelhorn/Alto cup as well.

Jim Scott
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

I know that Michael Dease doubles on bari sax, so I would bet he plays at least alto, too.
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
Neo Bri

Post by Neo Bri »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:47 pm
Neo Bri wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 5:51 pm

Flugelhorn mutes fit alto generally. I have a Wick straight mute (says. Flugelhorn/Alto. Trbn.) that is great on the alto (also works well on some bass trumpets). I have a JoRal harmon that fits the alto (I think there are a couple of contemporary solos that need harmon). I also have an old Robertson (?) cup mute that someone shaved down the corks - probably to fit an extra small tenor, but it fits my alto. It works well, and I had an alto part on a modern arrangement that asked for alto w/a cup mute and this worked well. H & B makes a Flugelhorn/Alto cup as well.

Jim Scott
Thanks for the tip - I'll look into that!
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

You're welcome!

JS
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I have a H&B flugel cup mute that doesn't fit my alto at all. The bell throat of a flugel is much larger than an alto bell.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

It might depend on which alto. Also, as I remember, that mute didn't work as well as the other cup that had shaved down corks. The Wick straight mute works very well on the alto, and I also used it in the Getzen Bass Trumpet that I used to own.

JS
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:34 pm It might depend on which alto. Also, as I remember, that mute didn't work as well as the other cup that had shaved down corks. The Wick straight mute works very well on the alto, and I also used it in the Getzen Bass Trumpet that I used to own.

JS
Absolutely, altos are very different in bell size and throat. My kanstul and voigt are both quite small and difficult to find suitable mutes. My Weril is much larger and works well with most flugelhorn mutes. The difference seems to be more than between my 6h and 88h which all work well with the same tenor mutes.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"

Return to “Musicians”