Immigrating to Germany

Spin your yarns here.
Aspenforest

Immigrating to Germany

Post by Aspenforest »

I'm wondering if there are any users on this forum that have successfully immigrated to countries like Germany or other places within the EU. In order to obtain a residence permit from what I understand winning an audition or going to school will greatly help but if anyone has stories or advice/guidance it would be much appreciated.
Victoria
She/They
norbie2018

Re: Immigrating to Germany

Post by norbie2018 »

Do your ancestors come from an EU nation? It is possible to gain citizenship to an EU nation in this way, which would eliminate your need for a residence permit.

Michael
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

I haven't, but work in the EU a lot and have been thinking about it. Most of my colleagues have moved to Berlin in the last 6-7 years and there's a pretty friendly path to an artist visa. You basically need about six months of savings to prove you can support yourself until you get going, 3+ letters of support from musicians involved in the Berlin scene, and a few contracts to show upcoming work in Germany. From there it's not hard to get an artist visa that's good for 1-3 years that can be renewed until eligibility for residency comes (I think in 7 years). It's not nothing, but it's a lot less than most countries. If you go to Germany for school it especially provides a clear path to remain there if you're not moving with a more established career.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I’m an immigrant to Germany and my Nr1 advice would be to learn at least some German before you arrive, if you haven’t already. You can probably survive in Berlin with English but will miss out on a lot if you don’t put some effort into learning about the language and culture.

After 5y of holding a residence permit you can get the unlimited residence permit, subject to language and solvency criteria etc. which amongst other things allows more freedoms to live and work in other EU countries, and, you know, not having a time limit on your residency.

Citizenship is also possible after 8y, or after 7y if you do the integration course, even after 6y is you show an exceptional level of integration.

I can’t say much about the first few years if you are a non-EU National, coming from a former EU-country myself that was very easy thanks to the freedom of movement we had in the good old days so will keep quiet on that part, nobody wants to read a Brexit rant!
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

Very funny because many Germans try to leave the country. Maybe a swap is possible... :-)
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Trombonic wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 12:19 am Very funny because many Germans try to leave the country. Maybe a swap is possible... :-)
Well, in my opinion many out of those leaving (or talking about leaving) the country are a special category that has a very strange view on this world. Not too many countries that are at the same time more safe, more democratic, more wealthy or socially fair than Germany (if we ignore some with comparably very small populations). Some people just tend to blame others for their own misery without having a real idea how to do things better
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

More than 6 million US citizens left the US for greener pastures according to US government estimates. And over 5k US citizens renounce their citizenship each year accord to US government statistics - they even publish the list quarterly, https://www.federalregister.gov/quarter ... expatriate

I was one of those in 1977, having left the US for Switzerland to study, admittedly for only 1 year, at the Musik-Akademie der Stadt Basel with Ed Tarr. I was a trumpet player back then. Been here ever since, got my Swiss citizenship in 2004 and renounced my US citizenship in 2013 (after the US government tried to bankrupt me - long story. Think FACTA, FBAR and that income from pension plans are considered capital gains, not income, so are taxed at around 25% flat-rate. And yes, when you leave the US, you still must at the very least fill out US tax forms and possibly pay US taxes on top of German taxes or whereever you'll then be).

A friend of mine ended up doing similarly. Left the US came to Switzerland to study and ended up in Germany. Germany used to have an agreement due to WWII, that US citizens could, no questions asked, simply live in Germany. That expired in the mid-to late 1980's, so now US Americans fall into the immigration category of a non-EU national, meaning it's theoretically more difficult to actually legally live in Germany as a US citizen, than as a French citizen. So even with a job in Germany, you'll still have to register with the immigration authorities in Germany, apply for and get the permission to live there, which is not automatically coupled with the work permit. From the other way around, I know of several people who got the permission to work in Switzerland, but not live there, usually because they already had the permission to live in Germany or France at the time, so they could keep their commuter status (Grenzgänger).

One thing that's different in the EU as opposed to the states is, there is a legal requirement that 1) have ID at all times on your person. 2) you must register with the local Einwandererbehörde (immigration authorities??) as to your legal address. At least in Switzerland, this is how one is 100% sure that only citizens can vote and only citizens get the ballots, which are sent by mail. Because when you register, your immigration status is also recorded. Meaning citizen or long-term-immigrant or short-term-immigrant or foreign student, etc. I'm not sure if it's the same in Germany, but if you decide to move to another community, you must Abmelden (de-register) with the old one, paying all taxes before you're leagally de-registered and Anmelden (register) at the new one. BUT ... if you're a foreigner, you have to apply for new status in the new community or state, which is not 100% certain you'll get. By doing so, any accrued time-in-country towards becoming a citizen may or may not be applied at the new residency. This might be different in Germany, I know how it works in Switzerland because I was lucky when this happened to me and the time was applied, but that was changing my place of residence from Basel Stadt to Baselland.

As to language, do be aware, that in all German speaking countries, there is the so-called "Hochdeutsch" or "Amtsdeutsch" and the local dialects, some of which are radically different from Hochdeutsch. Here's looking at you Plattdeutsch, Berlinerisch, Kölsch, Bayerisch etc. not to mention the myriad numbers of Swiss, Austrian and Südtirol dialects. You can very easily get the feeling you're wasting your time learning Hochdeutsch when no one actually speaks it. In Germany you'll have a better time of it, but there are many people here in Switzerland who will only begrudgingly speak Hochdeutsch with you, because ... their Hochdeutsch (Schwiizer Hauchdüütsch) is painful for them themselves to speak. And wherever you live and deepen your ability to speak Hochdeutsch, you'll stamp yourself as now "being from there" much like someone who learns English in Texas will obtain a Texas accent. This happens to me all the time when I travel to Germany. They can't quite work out if my accent is American or Swiss or some strange Swiss dialect. Cute. Some immigrants have tried to just learn the local dialect, but then travel to some other region and find, the folks there can't understand them, so it's best to get a good speaking grip on Hochdeutsch and try also to get a passive understanding of whatever dialect you have where you live/work. At one point I was living in Riehen (outside of Basel), married to a woman from Bern, teaching in German Rheinfelden and Freiburg im Breisgau (Germany) - a total of 4 different dialects.

Well, it's all not so straightforward and simple, but it is doable. Will take some effort, time, flexibility, patience. Just remember, the first reaction will be "Why do they have to do it THAT way, when my way would be so simple?". Later, as time goes on and you get more familiar, you may switch that 180 degrees to "This is so good, why can't that be like that in the US?". They say, if you survive the first 3 years in Switzerland, you won't want to leave. Probably similar in Germany. Good luck.
Last edited by musicofnote on Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
LeTromboniste

Post by LeTromboniste »

Aspenforest wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:25 pm I'm wondering if there are any users on this forum that have successfully immigrated to countries like Germany or other places within the EU. In order to obtain a residence permit from what I understand winning an audition or going to school will greatly help but if anyone has stories or advice/guidance it would be much appreciated.
Winning an audition for a full time orchestra makes it almost automatic you'll easily get a work and residence permit. Going to school will give you a residence permit, usually with limited or no right to work. Some jurisdictions have easier paths for freelancers to get a work and residence permit, that's the case in France and Germany. Others make it virtually impossible, like Switzerland. Most countries are probably somewhere in-between. Sufficient knowledge of the language is usually a prerequisite.

Bottom line though is, to get a permit, you must already have a reason for it. I.e. you're enrolling at a university, you won a position, you're married to someone who livea there, or, for a freelancer permit, you already have gigs that show you're active there and make enough. The last is not so common when you haven't studied there and don't already live there on other grounds. Typically people will study there or in neighbouring countries, start gigging, and at the end of their studies, be able to get a permit as a freelancer. In Germany, you need to prove not only that you've been gigging there and/or have enough projects lined up, but also that at least some of your activities have a local importance to the state you're applying to live in (for example, you teach at a local school, or you frequently gig with a local group). The exception is Berlin, because its status as "cultural capital" means all work anywhere in Germany is considered local.
Maximilien Brisson
www.maximilienbrisson.com
Lecturer for baroque trombone,
Hfk Bremen/University of the Arts Bremen
HowardW

Post by HowardW »

musicofnote wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:27 am More than 6 million US citizens left the US for greener pastures according to US government estimates. And over 5k US citizens renounce their citizenship each year accord to US government statistics - they even publish the list quarterly, https://www.federalregister.gov/quarter ... expatriate

I was one of those in 1977, having left the US for Switzerland to study, admittedly for only 1 year, at the Musik-Akademie der Stadt Basel with Ed Tarr. I was a trumpet player back then.
Hi Buzz!
A friend of mine ended up doing similarly. Left the US came to Switzerland to study and ended up in Germany. Germany used to have an agreement due to WWII, that US citizens could, no questions asked, simply live in Germany. That expired in the mid-to late 1980's,
This is not true. There was no such agreement (except possibly for Berlin). Your source, whom I of course knew, was prone to making things up, and often really didn't know what he was talking about.

Otherwise, everything else you've written here is spot on!
Liebe Grüsse,
Howard
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

Hey Howard!

Ok, I stand corrected. I thought I got that from you, but I guess if I did, you'd gotten this from that other source. BS, like a stone thrown into water, also forms wider and wider circles.

Und Dir auch Liebe Grüsse aus dr Schwiiz

Buzz
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

At the risk of taking certain statements too literally, not every immigrant is always leaving for perceived "greener pastures." My spouse is an immigrant to the US because of me and did not intend to live here after their master's degree in the states before meeting me. Now, they like it here a lot. Probably more than I, even as a native. But they (and I) would have no reservations about moving back to their home country if our family situation differed. We're teaching our children both languages, aspects of both cultures, etc.

Similarly, their parents emigrated from one country to another for economic reasons when they were very young. They would have been unlikely to do so without those conditions and still feel more "at home" in their country of origin. I suppose that is technically "greener pastures" if one means purely for economic reasons. But that move was quite different than when my great-grandparents immigrated here from Italy in the early 1900s. They absolutely 110% considered greener pastures to the point where they would scold their children for not speaking English and tried as much as possible to eradicate any vestiges they had of their Italian heritage. Anecdotally, of the people I know who have emigrated from one country to another, I tend to see more of the former than the latter.

Which is just to say that a lot of immigrants move out of necessity or for personal reasons, not because they are chasing "greener pastures," which I typically think of as people who are not leaving out of need, but of want. And to be clear, there's nothing wrong with either, in my opinion.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Matt K: Just in case part of your answer is a response to my comment above. I just wanted to point out that there are certain parts of the society who blame the German state for everything that seems to go wrong in their lives and think all would be better somewhere else. typically people who have never lived and/or worked elsewhere. of course there can be numerous good reasons to migrate, such as following your significant other, a specific job or education or maybe simply interest in a specific culture.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

I was particularly referring to the comment about emigration away from the US, merely indicating that I might one day do so myself and therefore be lumped in with the "greener pastures" group, even though my reason would have little to do with seeking a better life.

That said, regardless of whether or not a feeling is objectively or relatively correct, the one thing people can never be wrong about is what they feel. There was an attitude of intense animosity toward my ancestors when they left Italy, right or wrong. They were incredibly happy to be here, despite working in the coal mines for a meager amount; barely enough to put a roof over their head. In other words, much in the same way someone can be incorrect about the mechanics of how their embouchure works and can still play at a high level, someone may emigrate to a place you may perceive as being worse for them, and yet they may be happier. I would, therefore still consider seeking "greener pastures" a "good reason" as the people actually doing the emigrating probably have a much different perspective than yourself. Emigrating is one of the hardest things a person can put themselves through in life, even in situations where there is a large potential reward for the move, and so I would not so easily discount the opinions of someone doing so, as staying put is almost certainly easier.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

There must be someplace that would take in the US Republican/GOP nutjobs, 'Q' believers, and Tea Party looney's.

They're hell bent on destroying the country in every way possible by making sure there's absolutely no universal health care, Medicaid/Medicare, by trying to dismantle the government, by allowing more and more guns so every citizen can just shoot anyone they want, by throwing the US Constitution under the bus and making a mockery of it, and by believing that anyone is above the law and can get away with whatever they want.

Maybe there's a nice place 'where the sun don't shine' they can all move to?
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

We have the same idiots here in Europe. But the folks who leave the countries, esp. Germany, are scientists, architects, engineers, doctors, craftsman, ..the folks who make all kind of problems do not have the required education to move to Canada, Switzerland, US...
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

I don’t have first hand experience of recruitment in all of those fields but I’m pretty confident to say the the largest number of engineers leaving the German workforce are going into retirement, not abroad. For those still working and emigrating, some go abroad for a few years then come back, a few stay abroad longer term but they are significantly outnumbered by engineers of other nationalities moving to Germany. It doesn’t mean we don’t need even more engineers to come to Germany btw., there are a lot of people here quickly approaching retirement!

Anyone know how many musicians are coming and going? Based on a small sample size I know of more British musicians here than I ever knew German musicians back home in the UK. One or two of the British musicians I know here have suggested to me that they’d really be struggling to make a living doing the same job in the UK, and whilst they might never get stinking rich here, it is at least possible to do the job they enjoy and have some degree of financial security, allowing time to also explore their own artistic interests without having to supplement their income with side-jobs.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

MrHCinDE wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:35 am I don’t have first hand experience of recruitment in all of those fields but I’m pretty confident to say the the largest number of engineers leaving the German workforce are going into retirement, not abroad. For those still working and emigrating, some go abroad for a few years then come back, a few stay abroad longer term but they are significantly outnumbered by engineers of other nationalities moving to Germany. It doesn’t mean we don’t need even more engineers to come to Germany btw., there are a lot of people here quickly approaching retirement!

Anyone know how many musicians are coming and going? Based on a small sample size I know of more British musicians here than I ever knew German musicians back home in the UK. One or two of the British musicians I know here have suggested to me that they’d really be struggling to make a living doing the same job in the UK, and whilst they might never get stinking rich here, it is at least possible to do the job they enjoy and have some degree of financial security, allowing time to also explore their own artistic interests without having to supplement their income with side-jobs.
I know 2 musicians who, along with their respective families, moved to the US citing 'raising their children" as the issue for leaving. I didn't ask for an explanation.
MrHCinDE

Post by MrHCinDE »

WGWTR180 wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:37 pm I know 2 musicians who, along with their respective families, moved to the US citing 'raising their children" as the issue for leaving. I didn't ask for an explanation.
That’s a good point, I know quite a few German families (non-musicians) who have moved to an English speaking country for a couple of years so their kids can immerse themselves in mother tongue English and just generally have experience of a different culture. I can also think of several (amateur) musical colleagues who went to the US for a year during high school (without the whole family, staying with a host family) or university for similar reasons. There’s quite a big value here put on speaking excellent English in some professions, some time abroad seems to give a bit of a head start (not that it’s necessary in a lot of cases, many people who never went further than high school English already speak superb English, it always astounds me how good).
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

My last day job was as IT-Support/SysAdmin at the Ethnological Seminar of the University of Zürich. The influx of German academics in Switzerland has been a major issue for a couple decades. Why? because the move into extremely well paid professorships, hire their own staff for their institute and Swiss student studying under them have no way to climb the academic hiring hierarchy to get their own professorships. Not even Swiss Universities can exist solely on foreign student being taught by foreign professors. My case was pretty typical. When I was hired (naturalised Swiss at the time), the temporary head of the institute was a German emeritus professor, holding the place for a German professor to share the reins with an Indian co-chair of the institute. She left a couple of years later to state a departent at a Graduate Institute in Geneva, so they hired 2 other professors, both German to fill her shoes. The full assistents were all non-Swiss. The highest ranked Swiss academic was a temporary "external" lecturer.

We lived at the time in a village outside of Basel, which has a huge chemical industry. One landlord owned a row of houses he couldn't sell, so he rented them at great (high) prices to foreigners working in the chemical industry. The chemical companies of course "help" their foreign employee find housing, so these houses weere alway filled with high-paying renters, usually from the UK. My son-in-law is Swiss and got his PhD from the University in Basel. He had a devil of a time getting a job as a chemist in the Basel industry, not because of his language skills (French and Spanish mother-tongue, Hochdeutsch and can understand local dialect plus English as the normal academic language in chemistry). Being Swiss, his name is simply not as attractive on their lists of employees. After 10 years in one small firm specialising in bio-genetic midcations, he finaly got a shoe-in with a next-level company, but not with the top-level (Roche, Novartis, which still is his dream). Dont' feel bad, he's still doing fine as is my daughter, who is an MD, so they're not hurting.

With the various Schengen agreements, there is a continually flowing of personnel between EU countries and non-EU countries in the Schengen area. There was a half-hearted stop in Switzerland for non-Swiss applying to music jobs, but Karma can be a bitch and Swiss were finding doors shut in the EU to them as an unoffical retaliation. So that seems to have stopped. A Bousfield student, from Portugal got a gig in Zürich in one of the orchestras there - played my last public performances with him before retiring. I won't say, that no Swiss play as well, but he did play very well, and was a nice guy to boot.

My only direct experiences with immigrants in a professional work situation here, besides my own.
Mostly:

Very seldom:

Return to “Tangents”