More than two rotor valves?

Digidog

More than two rotor valves?

Post by Digidog »

Just for fun, and just because I've never heard of it: Are there any trombones that are not regular valve trombones (piston valved) with more than two valves? Like a three wrap bass trombone? Or a three wrap contrabass ditto?

I've never seen or heard about it, but what would the tuning of such a construction be? Would it even be playable? Or useful?

What says the knowledge and wisdom of The Trombone Chat?
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Burgerbob

Re: More than two rotor valves?

Post by Burgerbob »

Why?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:30 amWhy?
Just for the heck of speculating about it. Would there be any advantages with three valves and wraps?

Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

IMO, no. What would you gain?
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

More or less without any further specifics that's the superbone, including the Schagerl rotary version

https://schagerl.com/meisterinstrumente ... superbone/
Last edited by MStarke on Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 2x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, 88HT, Greenhoe 88HT, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h/62h, Greenhoe TIS, Conn 60h/"62h"
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Matthew Walker
Owner/Craftsman, M&W Custom Trombones, LLC, Jackson, Wisconsin.
Former Bass Trombonist, Opera Australia, 1991-2006
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

I recall a Greenhoe with three independent rotors, on the old forum. Can’t recall the tuning.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

The best instrument, and still useful as a trombone that has more than two rotors is a superbone. This is the modern variant
https://schagerl.com/meisterinstrumente ... e/?lang=en

/Tom
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Holton assembled a prototype bell section with 4 rotor valves (see Douglas Yeo's article on double valve bass trombones in ITAJ). Unclear if it was ever finished and fully functional; from the pictures the tuning looks like superbone + F.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

ImageI've never seen it in person, but there's a guy on the high-level amateur circuit around Boston who owns a Minick-modified Holton TR-180 with three valves. Here are some pictures posted by Jim Becker, formerly of Osmun Brass:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

I wonder if that's the same horn - when I was in High School, there was an annual Jazz Event for students with a visiting pro group that gave clinics in the day and gave a concert at night. One year, the guests were the Stan Kenton Band and the band had 5 trombones (2 basses - one doubled tuba). The 5th player was playing a 3-valve horn like that, and I know it was a Holton because there was a crashing sound in the concert while Kenton was introducing the next tune. Some soldering came loose on the horn, and a part fell off and hit the ground. Stan made a joke out of it, and after a word with the player, he held up the instrument and said "Ladies and Gentlemen, you might not want to buy a Holton trombone!" Luckily, the 5th player was the Tuba doubler, and he played the rest of the show on Tuba. The timing sounds right, because that would have been fairly early in the prime Minick years. I can't imagine that there are too many horns like that out there.

Jim Scott
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

I might be wrong but that looks like it can be played as a dependent or an Independent instrument. OR Minick added that 3rd valve and bypassed the original 2nd valve as there’s no tuning slide in the original 2nd valve??
bitbckt

Post by bitbckt »

The three triggers seems to imply that it's intended to be played as a three-valve horn, not as an independent with a vestigial dependent valve. The missing tuning slide is probably present, but unpictured for whatever reason.

What an oddity.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Something like say a Bb/F/G setup with a valve on the f warp giving you essentially Bb/F/D/G seems like it could be useful. Have the ability to prime the double valve similar to a dependent but get some of the ease a G valve gives sounds actually kinda nice. You’d never have to move past 3rd position. …you’d also most likely have a bum shoulder as well but that’s besides the point
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Superbone from Schagerl, yup.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

If my current bass wasn’t specifically built to fit in a somewhat compact screw bell case there is a non zero chance I’d have one. The benefit I see is that you can get the very useful G attachment, useful throughout most of the bass clef… the f attachment, which gives you positions roughly to that an octave higher… but then if you had say, a dependent valve that put C in 2nd or 3rd (when all 3 were engaged) you’d have a very easy C and B.

If I didn’t like the G attachment so much, I’d probably use Bb/F/Db tuning. I seldom use 1st position with both valves engaged, so I don’t lose much by having D be in first, and I get a lot from Db, C, and B being on the first half of the slide.
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:29 pm I might be wrong but that looks like it can be played as a dependent or an Independent instrument. OR Minick added that 3rd valve and bypassed the original 2nd valve as there’s no tuning slide in the original 2nd valve??
I think that slide is out because it's mid-service.

And yes, it has an independent 2nd valve and a valve that's dependent on the first valve tubing.
Last edited by GabrielRice on Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

TheBoneRanger wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:13 pm I recall a Greenhoe with three independent rotors, on the old forum. Can’t recall the tuning.
Yes, there was a Bach 36 with 3 valves. It had the same tuning as a regular 3 valve instrument, operated with thumb an 2 fingers.

It started as a 2 valve horn, in Bb/Ab/G/F. That was a cool horn!! The owner wanted the additional half step valve added. Kind of lost the cool factor at that point, IMO. I used to have photos of it...
Matthew Walker
TheBoneRanger

Post by TheBoneRanger »

How about this wizardry from Gustafson Custom Horns?

Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:30 amWhy?
This is a good answer I think. Yes Superbone exists, but maybe there's a reason it's not used lately. It's probably too heavy and useless.
WGWTR180

Post by WGWTR180 »

GabrielRice wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:01 pm
WGWTR180 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:29 pm I might be wrong but that looks like it can be played as a dependent or an Independent instrument. OR Minick added that 3rd valve and bypassed the original 2nd valve as there’s no tuning slide in the original 2nd valve??
I think that slide is out because it's mid-service.

And yes, it has an independent 2nd valve and a valve that's dependent on the first valve tubing.
:good:
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

A 3 valve horn might be annoyingly heavy to hold.
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

The funny thing about the superbone is that despite 3 valves and a full-length slide, it still doesn't have a low B. All the valves together gives a sharp E, which isn't enough length. Not to mention that only the Schagerl superbone has the valves integrated into the bell section so that the handslide is in the normal position...on the Holton or Chinese copies of the Holton, 1st position is a lot farther away so you don't even have 7th.

Of course, the point of the superbone is to be able to improvise with the advantages of both valves and slide, and it's really fun to use that way. But you'd need a 4th valve to have a fully chromatic instrument.
TheBoneRanger wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:16 am How about this wizardry from Gustafson Custom Horns?

F, Gb, and a 2nd bell? Now that's a way to make 3 valves useful. Useful for what, who knows...probably avant-garde contemporary stuff. But useful nonetheless!
whitbey

Post by whitbey »

When I was in high school in the 1970's, I real bass trombonist visited our school. This was about when I got my own bass bone. He had his horn set up with Bb/F/ E and Eb. He said it was cool because he could get a D with all three valves. But the horn was stuffy to me when I tried it.
I bought a Bb/F/E horn as that was what the sold then. I got 2 sets of extension tubes and got C out of the E valve. Later I had it remade into C with bigger tubing. I think bigger tubing is better then a open wrap.
The tree valves was amazing just because the horn had so much plumbing. Very impressive to a young student.
Edwards Sterling bell 525/547
Edwards brass bell 547/562
Edwards Jazz w/ Ab valve 500"/.508"
Markus Leuchter Alto Trombone
Bass Bach 50 Bb/F/C dependent.
Cerveny oval euphonium
Full list in profile
trombonedemon

Post by trombonedemon »

Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 am IMO, no. What would you gain?
I'm thinking he has that shires double valve tenor in mind, would the concept work for an independent bass!?
Conn 112 H w/bored out rotors w/heavyweight caps, Sterling Silver Edward's B3 and Shires B3 leadpipe w/62H slide. Long Island Brass Comp Dimensions 29.5 inner rim .323 backbore solid silver lefreque
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

It would be interesting to hear Maynard Ferguson weigh in on this question. I suspect he answered many like it.

Here's a bass player who has something to say about it though.
(Be aware, there's a four letter word in there--actually seven including the "ing".)

I wouldn't go as far as he does, but he might also tone his position down a bit in a more analytical context.

Here's another who might have something to say as well.

And here's another (on another Godzilla bass)?
Last edited by BaronVonBone on Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

trombonedemon wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:43 pm
Burgerbob wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:46 am IMO, no. What would you gain?
I'm thinking he has that shires double valve tenor in mind, would the concept work for an independent bass!?
I doubt that's what was the point. I would like to try a Shires Quadder but I don't think it would fit on a gooseneck.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

I have two concepts I’d like to try in brass… if I have parts.

Three dependent valves: G/F/D. With two actuators so that it functions like a Bb/F/G/D horn. This could be fun and not difficult to build and hopefully not crazy heavy.

Four valves: bass superbone with a dependent valve on the first valve to make it F. Gets you a full length of bass attachments but also some superbone fun. This is gonna be heavy and need crazy levers to make it work.

Will either be useful? Dunno. I think I have enough parts for the three now, but not the time to figure it out just now.

Cheers,
Andy
Finetales

Post by Finetales »

elmsandr wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:02 pm I have two concepts I’d like to try in brass… if I have parts.

Three dependent valves: G/F/D. With two actuators so that it functions like a Bb/F/G/D horn. This could be fun and not difficult to build and hopefully not crazy heavy.

Four valves: bass superbone with a dependent valve on the first valve to make it F. Gets you a full length of bass attachments but also some superbone fun. This is gonna be heavy and need crazy levers to make it work.

Will either be useful? Dunno. I think I have enough parts for the three now, but not the time to figure it out just now.

Cheers,
Andy
Now you have to combine the two, attaching the 4-valve section to the triple dependent bell section!
HawaiiTromboneGuy

Post by HawaiiTromboneGuy »

hornbuilder wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:27 pm
TheBoneRanger wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:13 pm I recall a Greenhoe with three independent rotors, on the old forum. Can’t recall the tuning.
Yes, there was a Bach 36 with 3 valves. It had the same tuning as a regular 3 valve instrument, operated with thumb an 2 fingers.

It started as a 2 valve horn, in Bb/Ab/G/F. That was a cool horn!! The owner wanted the additional half step valve added. Kind of lost the cool factor at that point, IMO. I used to have photos of it...
Used to belong to a local guy here in Hawaii. I believe he ended up selling it a few years back. I’ll see if I can dig up the old photos I have of it and post them up here.
Drew A.
Professional bum.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:02 am

Used to belong to a local guy here in Hawaii. I believe he ended up selling it a few years back. I’ll see if I can dig up the old photos I have of it and post them up here.
That would be cool to see!

This thread has shown some interesting takes on what can be done to a trombone.

mahlertwo

Post by mahlertwo »

HawaiiTromboneGuy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:02 am

Weird vintage horn belonged to a Hawaii guy who wasn't you? How the hell did that happen?
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

Fine, since nobody else saves pictures around here…

(I won’t do it like this, I want to use less neckpipe and I have some thoughts. Also, thoughts on levers for days.)

Cheers,
Andy
ADF202F9-1034-4A70-B2D5-827400FB74E7.jpeg
7ADFEDFB-9FA0-4CB9-B95C-5348798B369C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

See, looking at this all I can think of is "wouldn't it be easier to just put a slide on a Cimbasso?" It just looks like an ergonomic nightmare, and I think if it was designed to be played sitting down with some type of stand, a far better valve setup could be made.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:01 am Fine, since nobody else saves pictures around here…
Tangent, but I've never understood the Greenhoe insistence on using the tight U bend even on G-wraps. Seems needlessly fussy, barely saves any length, and I can't believe that with a modern rotor a 180-port plus offset bend is 'worse' than a 90-port immediately followed by a tight 180.

(I'll probably cope, though)
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Then they'd have to have two rotor designs. Or would have had to. If everything is a 90, then you can get away with having a .562 and .593 rotor in one port configuration.
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 9:16 amTangent, but I've never understood the Greenhoe insistence on using the tight U bend even on G-wraps. Seems needlessly fussy, barely saves any length, and I can't believe that with a modern rotor a 180-port plus offset bend is 'worse' than a 90-port immediately followed by a tight 180.
This is exactly what I thought when I first saw the Conn 88HNV "New Vintage". 90 90 valve followed on one side by a tight U bend, and on the other side by an S-tube followed by a ferrule and another tube.

Then I look at french horns, tubas, rotary trumpets, and my wonderful Bach LT36B and stop caring.

Then I look at the Stephens "Brass Ark" trombone with a pancake wrap and Caidex valve and chuckle. I bet it plays incredibly open.
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Yup... that greenhoe is still dumb. Haha!
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 am Yup... that greenhoe is still dumb. Haha!
All the weight, expense, mechanical complexity, and response trade-offs of 3 valves... and (if Superbone-style tuning as it appears to be) still without a chromatic scale! Deeply stupid contraption.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:47 am Then I look at the Stephens "Brass Ark" trombone with a pancake wrap and Caidex valve and chuckle. I bet it plays incredibly open.
Oh sure - I've been playing a TR159 with the same sort of wrap (and antediluvian valve) and like it a lot. The Greenhoe thing is just goofy to the eye, all to save on making a very simple brazing fixture....

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:48 am Yup... that greenhoe is still dumb. Haha!
but at least it was incredibly expensive
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:19 pm
but at least it was incredibly expensive
And so good that the original owner sold it
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:21 pm
ithinknot wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:19 pm but at least it was incredibly expensive
And so good that the original owner sold it
cue Elton
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

spencercarran wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:16 amAll the weight, expense, mechanical complexity, and response trade-offs of 3 valves... and (if Superbone-style tuning as it appears to be) still without a chromatic scale! Deeply stupid contraption.
Yes, especially considering the spacing that the open curving knuckles of the valves require, which means bye bye gooseneck on the basses, and on that horn means pretty much negative gooseneck.

I do wonder if any company has made an inline bass with valves designed to be both open but also designed to allow for maximum gooseneck length.
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:02 pm
spencercarran wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:16 amAll the weight, expense, mechanical complexity, and response trade-offs of 3 valves... and (if Superbone-style tuning as it appears to be) still without a chromatic scale! Deeply stupid contraption.
Yes, especially considering the spacing that the open curving knuckles of the valves require, which means bye bye gooseneck on the basses, and on that horn means pretty much negative gooseneck.

I do wonder if any company has made an inline bass with valves designed to be both open but also designed to allow for maximum gooseneck length.
What valve makes that design o you? It’s pretty much a trade-off. You could say progressive Hagmann have that… maybe the Caidex…. But what would you consider open but maximum gooseneck?

Cheers,
Andy
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

elmsandr wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:25 pmWhat valve makes that design o you? It’s pretty much a trade-off. You could say progressive Hagmann have that… maybe the Caidex…. But what would you consider open but maximum gooseneck?

Cheers,
Andy
Well, I mean more that the space taken up by the valves themselves is less to allow for more gooseneck. I was looking at the recent Kühnl & Hoyer offerings, and their standard inline bass trombone has valves located very close together, with a pretty long gooseneck. I know that a lot of makers mount the valves at an angle, which allows them to use less bends in the attachment tubing, but this also could be somewhere that the length of the valves could be reduced by having the connecting knuckle minimized.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

tbonesullivan wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:02 pm

You can see they had to cut into the tuning slide leg to make room for the third valve, and whaddya wanna bet all three rotors (and valve sections) are the same size as each other?

One certainly could build, eg, a Thayer valve with a taper in the open side passage, similarly to the progressive Hagmanns Andy mentioned, either of which approach would more closely mimic the response of an instrument with a proper gooseneck. It might have some unintended consequences (good, bad, or just different) for response on the valve's engaged side.
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

spencercarran wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:16 am
... Deeply stupid...
Perfect description. :lol:
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns
hornbuilder

Post by hornbuilder »

Yes. That 36 ended up being a bit of a "what's the point" horn. It could have been something really special and innovative, but that was what the client wanted.

If only there was someone who had worked in that shop, who saw/was aware of the issues being discussed here, opened their own shop to design and make trombones correcting said issues, and more...
Matthew Walker

Return to “Instruments”