Ageing trombonists and other brass players?

Discuss the people that make the music here.
MStarke

Ageing trombonists and other brass players?

Post by MStarke »

Within the last weeks I somehow thought about how there are quite some trombonists and other brass players who seem to age extremely well.

Some examples that come to mind:
- Obviously Jay Friedman - principle trombonist with the Chicago Symphony since approximately 1820? ;-)
- Chuck Daellenbach - I heard him recently with the Canadian Brass and not only was his playing on the absolute highest level and he seemed physically quite fit, but he also presented large parts of the show. To my knowledge in his late 70ies?
- Some of the top LA studio players who I am very very fortunate to have some contact with - who are around 70, and continue to busily perform on the highest level and also are very open-minded and comparably modern (including technology-savvy) people
- Certainly many more, including people on this forum of course

I am not saying that they are total exceptions. And they certainly have physical ageing effects and challenges. But many other people I know in that rough age group are far less flexible and open-minded and in the end also far less active in their lives.

More a totally unscientific observation than anything else.

What are your impressions?
My guess would be that many musicians, especially on that level are just continuously exposed to new situations, new (including younger) people and groups and changing demands in their environment, which in the end forces them to stay on top of things.
Do you know of any studies on this aspect?
Markus Starke
https://www.mst-studio-mouthpieces.com/

Alto: Conn 35h, Kanstul, Weril
Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
Bass: Conn 112h, Greenhoe, Conn 60h
Burgerbob

Re: Ageing trombonists and other brass players?

Post by Burgerbob »

I think it's pretty common in people in have a job that requires their mind (teaching, playing, conducting, sightreading constantly) AND their body at a lower level (playing, conducting, etc) to have basically an extended lifespan.

There's also a reason they probably don't want to retire at a certain point (Jay, John Williams), because once they do...
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

I've had to come to grips with this in several ways. First, I run a couple of groups made up of primarily people over 60. So I get to see people at their best and maybe just short of their best. Second, I'm not in that age group, but I'm crowding it, and I'm always trying to see ways to keep music relevant. The quintet I recently started has been learning some styles outside of the traditional quintet canon. Quality music is what you do with the music that you have. A lot of the burden for that is on the performers. I gotta laugh when I see an 85 year old guy trying to get the feel of a Bieber tune (love yourself). He has to hear it a couple of times to get it, but eventually pulls it off. There is great music from all generations.

Also I think people have different ideas about what retirement is all about. Some people have a job just to have a job, and those people really need to retire early. Other people have a job because they love doing it. Musicians tend to fall into this second category, but I've seen some in the first as well. People in this category really shouldn't retire. Music makes a better hobby than a way to make a living, actually, so it's no wonder that a lot of retired people do it. In my area, I play with more retired people than young people. Young people have day jobs, kids, family, social life, etc. so they are hard to schedule around. Retired folks can rehearse any time of day.

My parents retired from jobs they disliked, and wound up taking other jobs just to have something to do. I don't plan on retiring until I'm no longer useful. In some ways retirement is over rated. It all depends on what you do with your time.
norbie2018

Post by norbie2018 »

MStarke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:19 am I am not saying that they are total exceptions. And they certainly have physical ageing effects and challenges. But many other people I know in that rough age group are far less flexible and open-minded and in the end also far less active in their lives.
My guess is that the creative mind leaves a person more open to changes and people unlike him/herself. An open heart is probably part of the equation as well.
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

I’ll be hitting 70 this fall. Still active in playing brass instruments and running a small farm, including annual hay making. Physical activity is what keeps me going. Main music is contemporary Christian, I’m the senior guy in the group, with my 17 year old grandson playing bass guitar and a 15 year old playing keys in the band. Yes, I’ve had to embrace changes in music styles and tech stuff, but I’m glad to be where I’m at. Local pro brass group has a trombone player pushing 80. Still plays in many groups, arranges, etc. Wife asked how long I was planning on playing, told her as long as I can continue to do it well. Same with maintaining the farm. Never had a problem being accepted by the younger generations.
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

Im 62 and justt decided to take up whitewater kayaking again this year after a 20 year layoff. I hope that was a good decision and I dont hurt myself. Brass playing-wise I am better now than I have ever been. Doing a solo with my community band this coming Sunday. Wish me luck!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

I am reassured by articles that say playing music reduces the risk of dementia.

In a couple of weeks, I will be performing Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis in the city’s most prestigious orchestra venue. This is the high point in my musical career to date. I turn 68 in a few weeks.
Last edited by Bach5G on Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

We saw Lindberg's recital last year, and he was 64. 2 hours of the most difficult but beautiful repertoire, and he really went for it. Maybe only 2 chipped notes. So many encores, including some swedish traditional melodies.

The audience was all trombonists and I'm sure we all left humbled.
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Burgerbob wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:49 am There's also a reason they probably don't want to retire at a certain point (Jay, John Williams), because once they do...
Yes, to a degree people that have the more classical shift from full-time work to retirement somewhere between 60 and 70 often seem to very rapidly lose much of their mental and physical agility at that point.
I am glad to see that e.g. my parents and parents-in-law try to keep up at least some part-time work which helps them staying on track a lot.
Markus Starke

Tenor: 3x Conn 6h, Blessing medium, Elkhart 88H, modern 88HT, Greenhoe Conn 88HT, Kruspe, Heckel, Piering replica
MStarke

Post by MStarke »

harrisonreed wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:51 pm We saw Lindberg's recital last year, and he was 64. 2 hours of the most difficult but beautiful repertoire, and he really went for it. Maybe only 2 chipped notes. So many encores, including some swedish traditional melodies.

The audience was all trombonists and I'm sure we all left humbled.
Christian Lindberg anyway has a higher energy level than practically any other person on this planet. Got to meet and hear him play a few times and while his playing is obviously fantastic, his personality is even more special.
Markus Starke

MStarke

Post by MStarke »

Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 pm Im 62 and justt decided to take up whitewater kayaking again this year after a 20 year layoff. I hope that was a good decision and I dont hurt myself. Brass playing-wise I am better now than I have ever been. Doing a solo with my community band this coming Sunday. Wish me luck!
That's a great challenge to go into kayaking again (did it only a few times, but it was a lot of fun). Good luck with the solo!
Markus Starke

fsgazda

Post by fsgazda »

I just saw Herbert Blomstedt conduct Bruckner 4 with the Philadelphia Orchestra at age 95. He needed help walking to the podium, and sat to conduct, but the music wasn't lacking at all.
Frank S. Gazda
Professor of Music, Delaware State University
Freelance Low Brass, Mid-Atlantic
www.firststatebrass.com
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

I played and/or studied with at least four trombone players who died between 40 and 50.
Jay Jay, Rosolino and Ake Person committed suicide.
Okay, all of them played Jazz, maybe this has something to do with it.
But: the job with the highest potential for desease is the job of a musician.
Mr412

Post by Mr412 »

Perhaps not so much as before. Jazz musicians used to be associated with heavy smoking, alcohol, drug use and unprotected sexual contact; all four of which puts a person into a much higher risk bracket for severe health problems. Now at least, the heavy smoking has diminished and there is a heightened awareness of using protection during sexual contact.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Trombonic wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:57 am But: the job with the highest potential for desease is the job of a musician.
I think some cobalt miners might disagree, but they're probably too busy to get in touch
Trombonic

Post by Trombonic »

You´re right...
Mikebmiller

Post by Mikebmiller »

MStarke wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:31 am
Mikebmiller wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:11 pm Im 62 and justt decided to take up whitewater kayaking again this year after a 20 year layoff. I hope that was a good decision and I dont hurt myself. Brass playing-wise I am better now than I have ever been. Doing a solo with my community band this coming Sunday. Wish me luck!
That's a great challenge to go into kayaking again (did it only a few times, but it was a lot of fun). Good luck with the solo!
Imm hitting the river (actually the Charlotte whitewater park) tomorrow for the first time. Should be interesting.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Among the list of long-livers musicians who have lived 100 years or more, there is one trombonist - Joseph Salemi (1902-2003). He played jazz. Maybe it had an effect? :idk:

Joseph "Pete" Salemi (September 15, 1902 – January 17, 2003) was an Italian American jazz trombonist.
Salemi was born in Corleone in Sicily on September 15, 1902. Salemi was the youngest of three sons and a daughter. He came to the United States in 1914 with his father.As a trombonist, Salemi played with Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland, but is best known for his recording work with the Gene Kardos Orchestra from 1931. He also played with various other big bands.
Salemi played at the inaugurations of both Presidents Harry Truman and Dwight Eisenhower.

https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy ... eph_Salemi

https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy ... c_patrons)
chromebone

Post by chromebone »

It’s a function of the fact people are generally healthier into old age than they were even 30 years ago. Combine that with better understanding and pedagogy of technique, breathing and better equipment and it’s much easier for a player to still be at the top of their game well past 60.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Yes, there are several jazz trumpeters, a horn player and a few saxophonists on this list.
Trumpeter Ray Anthony is now 101 years old! He is the last living member of the Glenn Miller Band.

Here he is 95 years old:

And here he is young:

harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Doc Severinsen was sounding and looking pretty good at 95 for his retirement concert.
Cmillar

Post by Cmillar »

The late great Dave Robbins (Harry James favorite lead trombone, LA studios, etc etc,) said during a lesson when I was a student of his in Vancouver:

“Trombone players are lucky…we go through our mid-life crisis in our early 20’s and then get down to work”
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

Cmillar wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:26 pm The late great Dave Robbins (Harry James favorite lead trombone, LA studios, etc etc,) said during a lesson when I was a student of his in Vancouver:

“Trombone players are lucky…we go through our mid-life crisis in our early 20’s and then get down to work”
:good:

Dave Robbins was the wisest man. As it is accurately noted. I went through this period of my life at the age of 23.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

That Ray Anthony video lol. Guy knew Big Bands were ancient history even in the 1950's when that video appears to have come out.

That's pretty crazy though, even today a lot of the big band shows we do are under the premise of preserving "the" American art form. And he was doing that ... Right as rock and roll was coming out. Writing on the wall, man.

Also caught Frank Rosolino taking the bone solos in that same video. His mid life crisis definitely happened later than 23, so that theory can't be right.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

harrisonreed wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 4:34 pm That Ray Anthony video lol. Guy knew Big Bands were ancient history even in the 1950's when that video appears to have come out.
Also caught Frank Rosolino taking the bone solos in that same video. His mid life crisis definitely happened later than 23, so that theory can't be right.
George Roberts (1928-2014) is also featured in this video. And then everything was fine with him. He lived for 86 years. By the way, his birthday was March 22.
In general, we are all very far from Frank Rosolino. He was a genius (IMHO). Geniuses have their own troubles, different from ordinary people. They do not fit into any theory.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

Not a brass player, but Carol Kaye turned 88 today.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I hit 70 last December. I retired from my day job, IT-Support/SysAdmin at a local university in 2014. Left my semi-pro orchestra in 2018 and 6 days later had my heart attack - 4 stents, cardio rehab, low-carb diet and I'm doing much better. Still, stopped playing in public the end of May last year due to a sporadic age related lip tremor. Comes and goes, but I thought I'd rather step back from public playing BEFORE others notice it and start saying stuff like "Nice guy, but too bad his health isn't up to it." I'd rather hear, as I did when I announced it to my playing buds "NO!, you sounded great. Too bad you're stopping."

But I've also been fighting a degenerative neurological condition, idiopathic peripheral polyneuropathy since 1999. For those who don't know, this is a 24/7 pain condition, primarily in the extremities. In my case, although thoroughly tested, they can map the damage, but cannot nail down the cause. They can only say what's NOT causing it. While it's degenerative, it's not fatal, so there's that. But putting up with the pain, sometimes less, sometimes more is mentally and physically taxing. I can do an hour of playing at home if I do so sitting, but can't stand for long periods, and concentration for a 3-4 hour rehearsal block is really tough.

No sympathy, please. I can now actually spend more quality time musically working on my technique and enjoying what I play and I've actually never played better, because before I "retired" I had to practice, prreparing from gig to gig, program to program, doing what's necessary to get the next job done. Now I can take my weaknesses and iron them out while still enjoying my strengths.

And there are other things to make up a good quality of life:
family
friends
my dog Jares
bass trombone
travelling - I do a LOT of that
even have some plans for some more research and writing (behavioral sciences)
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
blast

Post by blast »

Well, this topic got me thinking and I realised that I am the oldest trombone player in a regular orchestra gig in the UK. Not just bass but tenor too. Phew ! I guess people give up sooner over here. Playing is the easy bit...eyes, ears, night driving...those will get me in the end.
Hanging in there....
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

blast wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:44 pm Playing is the easy bit...eyes, ears, night driving...those will get me in the end.
Hanging in there....
Yes. Accumulated aches and pains, overused joints, night navigation and parking - the friction from being older may be worse than any decline in playing. Although, memory can be a struggle too.
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

Surprised I haven’t seen him mentioned yet but Dave Taylor is still out and about, gigging, teaching and playing. I’ve seen him do 2 recitals this year alone and he’s traveling to Europe and then playing at Brevard this summer and he’s nearly 80.

There was even a review about one of his shows in a local paper calling it “a breath of fresh air”
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Phil Teale - phenominal well into his 70's. I think dementia caught him at the very end? I miss his playing. As has been mentioned already George Roberts too - he was still doing his Saturday mrornings in the coffee shop, not that long before he passed and well into his 80's... Doug
blast

Post by blast »

It may be harder to keep going in a professional orchestra. As they say, you are as good as your last gig. The ears are always out , as it should be in a high level ensemble and any drop in standards will not be tolerated. Bearing that in mind Jay Friedman is a GOD.
Trombo

Post by Trombo »

There was a similar tpombonist in the former Soviet Union. Akim Kozlov (1908-1992) for more than fifty years (from 1937 to 1989) was a soloist - concertmaster of the trombone group of the best symphony orchestra of the USSR - the Leningrad Philharmonic Symphony Orchestra under the direction of Evgeny Mravinsky (1903-1988). He had been a professor at the Leningrad Conservatory since 1946. Mravinsky and other conductors greatly appreciated Kozlov for his unique sound.
Unfortunately, after Mravinsky's death, the new conductor sent Kozlov into retirement. He did not live long in retirement...
https://translated.turbopages.org/proxy ... kim_Kozlov
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

As we age our ears get larger.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1865310 ... 20collagen.

There may be a point at which they interfere with the gooseneck or valve linkages.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Blast Wrote...
Well, this topic got me thinking and I realised that I am the oldest trombone player in a regular orchestra gig in the UK. Not just bass but tenor too. Phew ! I guess people give up sooner over here. Playing is the easy bit...eyes, ears, night driving...those will get me in the end.
Hanging in there....
So Chris... when you're ready - we can form the geriatric trombone ensemble called "The oldest Sliders in Town"... I thought maybe "The oldest Swingers in Town" but since I cant swing and I'm not happy about the other conotation, Sliders it will be! Actually on a serious note you are so right about the eyes and ears, I made 69 recently and still dont use glasses but the last few rehearsals and concerts I have inextricably hit the wrong note - full of certainty and confidence only to find I had miss read the stave and on top of that my family are now telling me I am going deaf. This doesent of course worry me because I know the real problem is I live in a family of mumblers, if they only spoke normally and articulated better there would be no problem!... Doug
sf105

Post by sf105 »

And Frank Matheson was playing (non professionally) into his 90s.
sf105

Post by sf105 »

blast wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:44 pm Well, this topic got me thinking and I realised that I am the oldest trombone player in a regular orchestra gig in the UK. Not just bass but tenor too. Phew ! I guess people give up sooner over here. Playing is the easy bit...eyes, ears, night driving...those will get me in the end.
Hanging in there....
Possibly because the UK orchestras drive their players harder than other countries?

I used the lockdown to fix some technical problems (not perfect but better), but now lung capacity seems to be shrinking.

S
craign

Post by craign »

Related article in the ABC (Australian) news: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-04-05/ ... /102184038
heldenbone

Post by heldenbone »

It's my perception that trumpet (and maybe horn) is harder on one's health than the other brasses. An article came out a few years ago describing trumpet players as more susceptible to heart attack, and horn players to heart arrhythmias. The same article did not identify any such risks with playing trombone or tuba.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

DougHulme wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:53 am Blast Wrote...
Hanging in there....
So Chris... when you're ready - we can form the geriatric trombone ensemble called "The oldest Sliders in Town"... I thought maybe "The oldest Swingers in Town" but since I cant swing and I'm not happy about the other conotation, Sliders it will be! Actually on a serious note you are so right about the eyes and ears, I made 69 recently and still dont use glasses but the last few rehearsals and concerts I have inextricably hit the wrong note - full of certainty and confidence only to find I had miss read the stave and on top of that my family are now telling me I am going deaf. This doesent of course worry me because I know the real problem is I live in a family of mumblers, if they only spoke normally and articulated better there would be no problem!... Doug
Hi Doug, can I audition to join your "Oldest Sliders in Town"?
I will be 80 at the end of this year and am still active in local amateur (community) orchestras and big bands. I will be doing a couple of gigs at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in London later this summer with the Mike Westbrook Big Band and have numerous orchestral gigs on the first chair for Brahms 1&4, Schumann 3, Khachaturian, Spartacus and Stravinsky's Firebird. Also, the 4 of us who share the playing in the orchestra mentioned above have just started a trombone quartet and we are busy creating a variable play list.
On the health side, I have just got some new glasses and have ordered my hearing aid, but on the down side, my knees are much older than I am and I seem to regularly misplace my memory.

I look forward to receiving a copy of the audition list. :good:

Thanks

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Stewbones... could be the audition list is what is that car registration number from here? How many lines and how many spaces do you see on thiis sheet of paper? Can you manage these 7 steps to the platform? if you succesfully pass this audition ... youre in!!

My knees are older than me too! Apparently I aged them playing semi professional basket ball, I should have stopped at 21, my coming of age. Its not my fault someone stole those other 3 bars of that 4 bar phrase, they caught me unwares... Doug (chairman of The Odest Sliders In Town).
StephenK

Post by StephenK »

I'm hitting 70 this week, playing in Manchester RNCM for NCBF on my birthday! Still going ok, but have long needed glasses specifically for music, and the family say my hearing is going, but of course I say they mumble!
I love the variety of groups to be honest, a good brass quintet, concert band, big bands and good orchestra, all amateur. Pandemic did it for a couple of my groups though, including a trombone quartet.
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

At nearly 68, my knees are acting up too.

We did Missa Solemnis last night. 3 hour rehearsal Friday night, 2.5 hours Sat am, and a performance last night.

I’m totally exhausted today.
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

MStarke wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 9:19 am Within the last weeks I somehow thought about how there are quite some trombonists and other brass players who seem to age extremely well.

Some examples that come to mind:
- Obviously Jay Friedman - principle trombonist with the Chicago Symphony since approximately 1820? ;-)
- Chuck Daellenbach - I heard him recently with the Canadian Brass and not only was his playing on the absolute highest level and he seemed physically quite fit, but he also presented large parts of the show. To my knowledge in his late 70ies?
- Some of the top LA studio players who I am very very fortunate to have some contact with - who are around 70, and continue to busily perform on the highest level and also are very open-minded and comparably modern (including technology-savvy) people
- Certainly many more, including people on this forum of course

I am not saying that they are total exceptions. And they certainly have physical ageing effects and challenges. But many other people I know in that rough age group are far less flexible and open-minded and in the end also far less active in their lives.

More a totally unscientific observation than anything else.

What are your impressions?
My guess would be that many musicians, especially on that level are just continuously exposed to new situations, new (including younger) people and groups and changing demands in their environment, which in the end forces them to stay on top of things.
Do you know of any studies on this aspect?

Great topic !!! A thought important to keep in mind for you as a German is that unlike in Germany there is no mandatory retirement age in the USA (at least not like in Germany where it is, I believe, 65 ?) Not only does that allow for people to plan their career in a more individual way, but I think it also allows for a wider mindset when it comes to where a player’s peak may be, and at what point one heat feel they just have found the balance to continue doing the job in a routine sort of way.

You brought up Mr. Friedman. This is only my theory but I genuinely believe that he is only able to do what he does on the level he does it on, because he remains incredibly curious, tries out things, writes about them on his website and continues to passionately teach students who all come with individual skill sets as well as weaknesses.

In Germany I remember highly reputable teachers and performers saying that you peak around you late 20s-to early 30s and from there on out it supposedly only is plateauing for a while until slowly one’s playing goes downhill and it becomes a game of adjustment to be able to do the job. Maybe that was only my individual experience but again, this was highly regarded conservatory level “wisdom”. As a side note, I also personally believe that mindset was what put people in shock and awe about Stefan Schulz and his amazing career. At a point where it was easy to say he has reached as much as you can in Central Europe, he started to do things nobody had done before, setting new standards.
stewbones43

Post by stewbones43 »

DougHulme wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:25 pm Stewbones... could be the audition list is what is that car registration number from here? How many lines and how many spaces do you see on thiis sheet of paper? Can you manage these 7 steps to the platform? if you succesfully pass this audition ... youre in!!

My knees are older than me too! Apparently I aged them playing semi professional basket ball, I should have stopped at 21, my coming of age. Its not my fault someone stole those other 3 bars of that 4 bar phrase, they caught me unwares... Doug (chairman of The Odest Sliders In Town).
Thanks Doug, The audition list was going well until I reached the last item. Could you clarify, please; "Do the 7 steps up to the platform have a ramp so that I can take an 80 year old's run at it?" Or, preferably, "Do the steps have a stair lift?"

Doug, on a completely different tack, do you know an old SA trombonist by the name of Mike Parker? He was from Southsea Corps and I played alongside him at SA Band Camps in the late 1950s/early '60s, under the baton of Dean Goffin and Norman Bearcroft.

Cheers

Stewbones43
Conn 36H(Pitched in D/A)
B&H Sessionair
Besson 10-10
Conn 74H
Yamaha YSL-641 with Yamaha Custom Slide
Conn 88H Gen II with Conn SL4747 Slide
Besson Academy 409
Rath/Holton/Benge Bb/F/G or Gb/Eb or D Independent Bass
BrassSection

Post by BrassSection »

Age is just a number, so they say. During the Covid days I had plenty of downtime…newly retired, and church was virtual so no playing there. Throw in 2 total knee replacements and I could have thrown in the towel. Nope, wanted to keep the chops in shape, and since my trumpet playing grandson had no band for the better part of a year due to virtual school, we played over his school music together and also expanded his playing with more advanced studies. Good bonding time with him, and made us both better players. Before knee replacements I had to be seated for playing, but went back to standing after recovering. My skills have improved with age on all my horns, upper range still there and with new euph mouthpiece low range greatly improving on that horn and actually gets occasional use. Tried to encourage some others in the congregation to pick up their horns again and join me, but no takers for weekly improv playing, and most admit they don’t want to make the effort to get back in shape for ensembles. Sad to see people hanging it up just because they think they’re too old.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Depending on what your body does, you can play a brass instrument as long as you can manage to tote it to the gig (and hold it up).

I used to play with a guy who was 95 years old. He was not able to cut the lead parts any more, but he did fine in the 3rd or 4th trumpet parts in our senior Big Band. Incidentally, he had COPD. My GP said that playing a brass instrument was actually good for the COPD!

I also played with an ex HS music teacher who played trombone but had developed some kind of palsy that made holding the horn steady almost impossible. He managed by using and Ergobone that hooked into the harness that goes over the shoulders (much like new Bari Sax straps). He managed to keep playing almost to the time he passed away in his 80s.

For a number of years I was unable to climb stairs without handrails. Many of the groups I played for would find a spot for me next to the riser I was supposed to be on. Unfortunately now I can't climb steps even with hand rails and am confined to a nursing home. I still play for my own enjoyment (and occasional entertainment of the other inmates here). The doctors like what my playing does for my breathing and lung capapcity.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

“Unfortunately now I can't climb steps even with hand rails and am confined to a nursing home.”

I’m very sorry to hear this Bruce.
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

Stewbones43 wrote...
Doug, on a completely different tack, do you know an old SA trombonist by the name of Mike Parker? He was from Southsea Corps and I played alongside him at SA Band Camps in the late 1950s/early '60s, under the baton of Dean Goffin and Norman Bearcroft.
Hi Stewbones... indeed I do, very well. I was persuaded (by him) to take his chair in the Fellowship Band when he moved to The Canary Islands. He's since moved back and now lives in Manchester. Despite prodding from me he refuses to pick the horn up! He donated his Bass Trombone to Juiliard, I think in recognition of the enjoyment he got playing with the students when he lived in New York. The reason he always sights for not resuming playing is his lung capacity since he cant do 4 bars flat out on the bass anymore he would rather leave it now. PM me if you want to get in touch with him... Doug
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I am reminded at this juncture of a delightful conversation I had with Phil Teal back in about 2006 or so. The maths might not stack up in my recounting the story but the gist is completely accurate. I was in my mid 50's or thereabouts and there was a tradition in my band of retiring from playing around about 58 or so. Certainly my predecessor on Bass Trombone went at 58... so my mind was considering how I should play this 'age thing'. I was with Phil for a few days and he gave a masterclass that ended with 'any questions'. So I said to him something like 'Phil your probably 15 -20 years older than me and your playing is phenominal, I'm considering what the future is for me as I get older - when do you think it will be time to hang your horn up - do you have any plans?' to which he replied (& heres where the maths might not stack up) 'I'm 72 now and am quite happy playing at the same level I have always done, when I am 80 i shall retire from paid employment, I'm building a log cabin at the bottom of my garden and I shall retreat there with a few of my friends every day and we will jam until its time to go home'

I last saw him at his home about 5 or 6 years ago and he was still playing well and taking paying gigs he was I think about 75 so was still on track. I am told that dementia paid a part in Phils eventual demise but he was still playing really well until then and was an inspiration for anyone considering when to retire or do less. I did a warm up with Phil back in 2006 and I had to go for a lie down after and wait for my lip to recover!... Doug

Return to “Musicians”