Too big vs. too small?

Fruitysloth

Too big vs. too small?

Post by Fruitysloth »

Hey all,

I'm primarily a tenor player, but have been called to double on bass more frequently than I'm used to. I'm currently going back and forth between a Stork 1.5 and a Marcinkiewicz 1.5G. With both of these mouthpieces, I'm having an easy time accessing my high register (G third line above bass clef and up), but popping some of the lower notes, D - C below the staff, are more of a challenge to pin, and I have to shift considerably to hit the pedals. I'm trying out a Schilke 60, which is WAY too big, but I don't have to shift at all for pedals. Thoughts? Other than practice, which I'm definitely trying to do more of in light of having to double as much as I have recently. Thanks in advance!
Trombone Forum User "Jhungate96"
BGuttman

Re: Too big vs. too small?

Post by BGuttman »

I found the Schilke 60 (and Bach 1G) too big and uncomfortable. I used a 1 1/4G for a while, then a Schilke 59, Warburton 3, and then I met Doug Elliott. He put me on a LB 114 L with an L8 shank. It was the depth of the 1 G but a smaller rim. Worked great. I think the Yamaha Yeo is also like this. Check out the Yeo, or talk to Doug.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Pezza

Post by Pezza »

1.5G is a pretty standard bass bone mouthpiece.
I use a wedge 1.5G on bass. My 3G euph also works on bass.
I went the "bigger is better" route obout 20 years ago, but have since scaled back.
Am I a trombone player who plays euphonium, or a euphonium player who plays trombone? :idk:
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

Practice is going to be necessary even with exactly the right piece. With that in mind, I'd recommend using the 1.5s for a bit longer but sinking a bit more into that bass concept. It's pretty easy to play them in a small way and have the horn respond like a tenor, which is not what you want.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
RustBeltBass

Post by RustBeltBass »

Plenty of choices in between 1.5 and Schilke 60 style mouthpieces.

However, 1.5 sized mouthpieces are popular with doublers and more important is a routine that strengthens your bass skills, so maybe try that first before experimenting with equipment. What materials are you currently using when practicing on bass ?
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

You can split the difference. I play 1 1/4 size stuff on bass. DE LB112K and Ferguson L. Yamaha 60, Schilke 59, Bach 1 1/4G also fit in that slot.
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Lots in between, and the Marc 1.5 is sort of an odd beast even among ~1.5-sized pieces.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

There's a big jump between 1.5G (1.08") and Schilke 59 / Bach 1.25G (1.12") and Schilke 60 (1.14"). That's like going from a 6.5AL (1.0") to a ~3G (1.04") or a 2G (1.06")... or going from a 12C (.96") to a 6.5AL or 4G (1.02").

I feel like the 1.10" size is underrated, and does a good job splitting the difference. As a doubler, I'm moving more towards the smaller end, but if I'm in good shape on that, I can switch over to 1.10" very easily if I want a little more of the low end.

I don't know what kind of depth you're talking about, but I find that paradoxically that somewhat shallower cups give a better low range. A lot of times I want something that sounds loud, maybe with a little edge. I'd been using an Elliott "L" for awhile, but have been switching to something shallower for most playing unless, again, I really want to focus on low range at the cost of high range and then I can pop the deeper cup in.
musicofnote

Post by musicofnote »

I have, after many, many years settled (more or less) on a Wedge 110g Gen2 with the .300" throat. It's a tad smaller than a Bach 1G and the rim is MUCH more comfortable.

I had a similar problem with larger mouthpieces except they didn't really "help" me below single-paddle f. I just didn't do the work. It's slow, painstacking work, but it is possible. After all, I started as a high trumpet player.

I now have a reliable, usable range from d below pedal b-flat (and growing still) up to c third space in treble clef.
I do NO buzzing at all - buzzing killed me as a trumpet player. I start every day doing the Vince Chichowiz Air Flow exercises - (for example https://www.gregwingtrumpet.com/uploads ... y_2013.pdf) only the exercises that start on the written g and only going up to the two-ledger line written c. I also extend them after reaching upper g to go down to first paddle register. Very important to stay with one line until the sound quality of each note is pristine before going on to the next line which extends rangewise the previous line.

I extend these exercises with similar exercises, slurring (real sloppy slurs, not tongued) start on low b-flat (an octave above pedal b-flat:
b-flat-a-b-flat .... b-flat-g-b-flat .... b-flat-f-b-flat... etc. going down as far as I can,, BUT ... only as far as the sound stays crisp, and doesn't get flabby. And I DO shift. Purposely. Where necessary. The shift point will (later) be a flexible point which depends upon dynamic, endurance condition, confidence. The goal is NOT to play without shifting. The goal is to play keeping the sound quality. And the shift I use is a jaw shift keeping the mouthpiece position, especially on the top lip the same. You jut the jaw out to go down, open the mouth cavity inside and transfer the anchor "pressure" from the top lip to the bottom without losing lip contact on either lips. It's taken me several months to get a solid single paddle register and a good pedal range from pedal b-flat down to pedal f and lower.

Then i drag out my Bordogni and do 4-5 of them as written but also an octave lower. There are some notes an octave lower that I cannot (yet) do or do well, so I don't try - I play those as written as temporary outliers. Lke pedal d-flat, c, b, double pedal b-flat. That's OK. I don't sweat that. I just try to get the same basic tone quality 8vb as at sounding pitch. Which also means getting more familiar with the positions "down there".

good luck!
Mostly:
Yamaha Xeno 822G with a Greg Black 1 3/8 medium or Wedge 110G Gen 2 (.300" throat)

Very seldom:
Rath R400 with a Wedge 4G

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it."
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

In performance, most people shift for the pedal notes. Even Phil Teele said that his “no shift” rule was primarily for the practice room. While it’s ideal to not shift at all, you do what needs to be done in performance.

Do you like the sound, flexibility, basic articulation, feel, etc. of either of your 1.5G mpcs? What don’t you like about them? Do you need pedal notes for the kind of bass doubling you will do? Is it something you can work on?

Several folks have already mentioned that there are plenty of mpc rim sizes between your standard 1.5G (whatever that is) and a Schilke 60. It sounds like you would benefit from guidance, and a good, objective set of eyes and ears to hear and watch you play. Doug?
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

It seems to me that Phil said to do whatever you have to on the gig.

Return to “Mouthpieces”