New Horn Day - Sort Of

officermayo

New Horn Day - Sort Of

Post by officermayo »

A few months ago I snagged a pretty beat up 48H Constellation for $100. Lots of dents and dings and a crushed tuning slide that matched the smashed slide crook. The case? Well it went straight to the dumpster as it wasn't a Connstellation tweed case and it was falling apart. I took the poor horn to my local repair tech. He wasn't positive he could rejuvenate it, but was willing to try.

Today (two months later) I picked up the horn and I'm totally amazed at the transformation. There are still scratches and some lacquer loss, but once I've saved up the dough I'll have it fully reconditioned back to a brand new appearance. Then again, with my OCD being what it is, I may just leave it as is. That way I won't be overly worried about getting that first ding.

I wish I'd thought to take a "before" photo so y'all could fully appreciate the magic my tech worked out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When in doubt, blow out" - MGySgt M.A. Mayo, Marine Band

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
jonphilpott

Re: New Horn Day - Sort Of

Post by jonphilpott »

beautiful!
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

Very nice work.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Conn 48H Connstellation is indeed a beautiful trombone, with its nickel-silver bell and trim.
The 48H that I've played is a pleasure, with more "presence" than the similar 6H.
But I find the 6H to be easier to play - warmer, gentler, and "sweeter."
I think they both have their place in a big band.

OfficerMayo, is this acquisition a chink in the armor of your Olds collection?
Enjoy your lovely new 48H! :good:
EriKon

Post by EriKon »

Curious, how does it play? :)
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 am
OfficerMayo, is this acquisition a chink in the armor of your Olds collection?
Enjoy your lovely new 48H! :good:
Nah. Just trying to replace the one my Dad got me in '74. Like an idiot I sold it when I was in my 20s and needed some fast cash.

The contest entry form said "Void where prohibited", so I peed on the Captain's desk.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

EriKon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:33 am Curious, how does it play? :)
Speaks quite forcefully with little effort. I'm going to have to hold back a bit while using it. Also, I forgot how heavy they are compared to my Kings and Olds (or is that "Oldses"?).

EriKon

Post by EriKon »

officermayo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:41 am
EriKon wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:33 am Curious, how does it play? :)
Speaks quite forcefully with little effort. I'm going to have to hold back a bit while using it. Also, I forgot how heavy they are compared to my Kings and Olds (or is that "Oldses"?).
Oldies? :D
gbedinger

Post by gbedinger »

You have my “new favorite hobby room”.
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

gbedinger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:11 pm You have my “new favorite hobby room”.
Thanks!
There's more to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Digidog

Post by Digidog »

officermayo wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:18 am A few months ago I snagged a pretty beat up 48H Constellation for $100. Lots of dents and dings and a crushed tuning slide that matched the smashed slide crook. The case? Well it went straight to the dumpster as it wasn't a Connstellation tweed case and it was falling apart. I took the poor horn to my local repair tech. He wasn't positive he could rejuvenate it, but was willing to try.

Today (two months later) I picked up the horn and I'm totally amazed at the transformation. There are still scratches and some lacquer loss, but once I've saved up the dough I'll have it fully reconditioned back to a brand new appearance. Then again, with my OCD being what it is, I may just leave it as is. That way I won't be overly worried about getting that first ding.

I wish I'd thought to take a "before" photo so y'all could fully appreciate the magic my tech worked out.
Wow! Cool! Nice!
officermayo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:31 am
gbedinger wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:11 pm You have my “new favorite hobby room”.
Thanks!
There's more to see.
Wow! Cool! Nice!
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Thanks!
There's more to see.
Too bad we don't have basements in our area! ;)
officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:56 am
Thanks!
There's more to see.
Too bad we don't have basements in our area! ;)
Yes, we lucked out when buying this house 2 years ago.
The basement is just shy of 1000 sq ft and has AC and heat.
Took a long time to paint the ceiling black due to having to rush our move in.
With all my stuff already in the room, spray painting was out of the question. I ended up doing it all with a roller and a long pole. I had just had shoulder surgery before the move, so I had to just do a small piece at a time. Took six months to complete it, but I'm very happy with how it turned out.

officermayo

Post by officermayo »

Had my first big band gig with the 48H last night. Two hours of nothing but Basie. Taking a ride on "Switch In Time".

GACMoose

Post by GACMoose »

I still love my 1967 48H. I stepped up from my Conn "Director" in Junior High either in '72 or '73. Must have been sitting on the shelf for a while since it was new. Still play it and never felt it was heavy. Of all the horns I've played, though, it has the lightest and smoothest slide I ever tried. My uncle also played one for years and I tried his after he passed away. Felt the same about his. I'm still trying to justify buying it from his son, but really, does that make any sense? On the other hand, it's a trombone, so does it really need to be justified?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Why not buy your uncle's trombone. Some day you will have an accident and need to put yours into repair and it's nice to have a backup.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:15 pm Why not buy your uncle's trombone. Some day you will have an accident and need to put yours into repair and it's nice to have a backup.
And this would make GACMoose one of the few trombonists with two 48Hs in his stable!
(I have a 6H and a 48H - love them both - regularly alternate playing them in big band, jazz, and Dixie groups!)
GACMoose

Post by GACMoose »

I'm still considering my uncle's 48H...just one of those festering things!

Return to “Instruments”