How to cut

Atherton98

How to cut

Post by Atherton98 »

I work for a small repair shop where we primarily do basic maintenance. I am taking on a personal overhaul project where I'm mashing 2 trombones together and and I need to make several cuts that are as thin and clean as possible to save material as I'm trying to keep cost cheap. I've made several cuts already with a hand saw that weren't too bad, but we're pretty sloppy. We have a band saw that our woodwind techs use, it works but the brass really wears out the bands. Does anyone have a recommendation on a different tool or stronger bands for the band saw? Thank you in advance!
JohnL

Re: How to cut

Post by JohnL »

A bi-metal blade intended for cutting metal would be a good start. Unfortunately, that's an added cost to a project that you're trying to keep on a tight budget.

Are you using any sort of saw guide with your handsaw?
baBposaune

Post by baBposaune »

For thin, and I mean thin clean cuts I use a jewelers saw.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Other choice is to learn how to use a cutting wheel with a Dremel handpiece. It's a skill that can be learned, but don't do your first cut on something you care about.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

baBposaune wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:54 pm For thin, and I mean thin clean cuts I use a jewelers saw.
This.

You would think a dremel style tool (or an angle grinder for big stuff) would be better but it hasn't been for me.
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Jeweler's saw! Learn how to use it on some scrap metal before taking to your beloved horn. Since the teeth are so small (I use a #2 blades), they do not catch on the metal and pull it in different directions.

Jeweler's saws are very cheap. You will need to make sure you keep many back-up blades in stock because the thin blades can break frequently. Just make sure your install the blades so that the teeth are facing towards the handle (the cutting motion is when you are pulling towards you). If you practice it, you can literally control the cut to the 1/100th of an inch.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast

Return to “Modification & Repair”