Mouthpiece weights

JeffBone44

Mouthpiece weights

Post by JeffBone44 »

I've tried many different mouthpieces since I started playing trombone. I've mostly focused on which sizes work best for me, but I'm realizing that the weight factor is just as important as anything else. It seems like different instruments respond better with the correct weight mouthpiece.

In general, I find that lighter mouthpieces increase my endurance, and articulations are crisper and clearer. The drawbacks are that they don't seem to slot as well, and the sound can spread too wide rather than project forward, and they can brighten up considerably at louder volumes. Heavier mouthpieces decrease my endurance, but what I like about them is that they seem to slot better, I can control them more easily, and the sound holds together much better at greater volumes.

For the past few years I've had a rotor on my large bore tenor. I always preferred the lighter to medium weight mouthpieces. Heavier mouthpieces just didn't seem to mesh, there was something off and they never felt right. Last week my new axial-flow valve arrived, and the heavier mouthpieces that I didn't like feel and sound great on the new valve.
Danitrb

Re: Mouthpiece weights

Post by Danitrb »

I agree with you. Personally I feel that the weight of the mouthpiece affects the sound. I think it's a very personal thing. If you are a player who naturally tends towards a very broad and warm sound perhaps having a Bach/Yamaha style mouthpiece can help you balance very well. Otherwise if you naturally tend to a bright sound, a mouthpiece with some weight can really help you with the tone. Have you tried something slightly weighted like Griego Artist or Greg Black Lightweight? In particular these two lines add weight on the rim but not so much on the cup.
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

I also think that lightweight gives me more resonance in the sound and immediate front of the note, but as you said you have to control more the sound's compactness and avoid get too brilliant. More weight means the opposite, it tends to give more compact and dark sound, but maybe you need more work on resonance and attacks.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

It seems that the mouthpieces that weigh right in the middle of the spectrum are the best compromise, for me anyway. No matter what I try, I keep returning to Doug Elliott's mouthpieces, especially his new designs. They're just a little bit heavier than before, and the backbores are more open, yet still efficient.
Danitrb

Post by Danitrb »

JeffBone44 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:54 pm It seems that the mouthpieces that weigh right in the middle of the spectrum are the best compromise, for me anyway. No matter what I try, I keep returning to Doug Elliott's mouthpieces, especially his new designs. They're just a little bit heavier than before, and the backbores are more open, yet still efficient.
You have the answer!
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

Danitrb wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:16 pm
JeffBone44 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:54 pm It seems that the mouthpieces that weigh right in the middle of the spectrum are the best compromise, for me anyway. No matter what I try, I keep returning to Doug Elliott's mouthpieces, especially his new designs. They're just a little bit heavier than before, and the backbores are more open, yet still efficient.
You have the answer!
That’s what everyone keeps telling me!
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

I have a naturally dark tone so the heaviest mouthpiece I play on is Doug Elliot. Most of my playing is on Marcinkiewicz these days, for lively response and tone (also, they have most comfy thin rims ever made).
But on bass trb, a medium or heavier piece is almost mandatory I think.
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Macbone1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 am Most of my playing is on Marcinkiewicz these days, for lively response and tone
(also, they have most comfy thin rims ever made).
:good:
tbonesullivan

Post by tbonesullivan »

Macbone1 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 am I have a naturally dark tone so the heaviest mouthpiece I play on is Doug Elliot. Most of my playing is on Marcinkiewicz these days, for lively response and tone (also, they have most comfy thin rims ever made).
Their mouthpieces were designed using those very light designs though, and I remember reading that the internal design takes that into account. I will say that playing bass trombone with a Marcinkiewicz Phil Teele can be an exciting experience. It can liven up just about ANY bass trombone.
David S. - daveyboy37 from TTF
Bach 39, LT36B, 42BOF & 42T, King 2103 / 3b, Kanstul 1570CR & 1588CR, Yamaha YBL-612 RII, YBL-822G & YBL-830, B&H Eb Tuba, Sterling 1056GHS Euphonium,
Livingston Symphony Orchestra NJ - Trombone
Macbone1

Post by Macbone1 »

. I will say that playing bass trombone with a Marcinkiewicz Phil Teele can be an exciting experience. It can liven up just about ANY bass trombone.
[/quote]

I actually use a George Roberts on my bass! Lol. Makes me a hypocrite? Maybe...😉
King Jiggs 2BL
Olds Opera
Besson Sovereign Bb/F bass
Holton bass trumpet
B&H Imperial shepherd's crook cornet
Savio

Post by Savio »

Mouthpieces again? weight? I fell into that trap. Try to get out! :good:

Leif
Posaunus