Reeaally Long Shot

Discuss the people that make the music here.
BaronVonBone

Reeaally Long Shot

Post by BaronVonBone »

I'm trying to get the name of one of my favorite people. All I have as a lead is the horn he sold me back in the day, on the Online Trombone Forum, and the fact that he said he was retiring at the time.

In what I expect is the highly unlikely event anyone can actually ID this guy from the available info, I'd really appreciate it. But if folks can toss some names out that fit that description, please toss away--pretty sure I'll recognize his name if I see it.

I've really enjoyed the horn over the years, and I'm trying to nail down the history of my favorite instruments. And if he's still around I'd like to express my gratitude and see how he's doing these days.

Thanks!
ParLawGod

Re: Reeaally Long Shot

Post by ParLawGod »

If memory serves (I could be wrong) the OTJ Forum didn't have a classifieds section...that was done as a separate area of the main site. Do you know the month/year you made the purchase? Perhaps Archive.org caught a screenshot.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230000000 ... assifieds/
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

That's a great angle! But the best I can do is it was probably in the late '00s(ish).

Covid has really messed with my sense of time, particularly in the Before Time--heh.

But maybe that'll help someone remember players who were retiring around then ... ?

I think you're right about no classifieds too--For Sale/Trade?

Much appreciated in any case!
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

After reading all of your previous posts, it looks like we're talking about the old "The Trombone Forum" and not "The Trombone Journal". TTF is the forerunner of Trombone Chat, and it did have a classified section. You can access it by clicking on "TTF Archives" on the home page when you sign in to Trombone Chat. The TTF classified archive goes back to 2012. Maybe you'll get lucky and spot your horn there.
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

Thanks Charlie!

If the archives only go back to '12 I'm not gonna find what I'm after. I thought TTF crashed before '12?

Bummer, but it's good to know. Much appreciated!
CharlieB

Post by CharlieB »

Yup, reeaally long shot.
You're going to keep hearing chirping crickets here unless you can furnish more details about "one of my favorite people."
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

I wasn't being facetious about the odds not being good. He may not even be with us any more. I got some good angles from you guys, but some answers just aren't available. So it goes.

He did seem like a solid, likeable guy, but he's one of my favorite people because he gave me a generous deal on a great bell section that makes me happy, and I appreciate it. I'd just like to know about its history. I'll pull though though.

And I do very much appreciate the help.
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

Over the years I bought a Getzen tenor with both slide and valve sections and a mouthpiece from people on either OTJ or TTF. I still play both but have no memory of who they were and there's nothing findable in email or archives.
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

I know my bass is an "actual" OE Thayer horn--i.e. designed/made by him/the O.E. Thayer Company--but I'm not sure how to verify it. It has no markings other than the ones that are on all Thayer valves. But mostly I just like to know where my used horns have been and what they were used for before I got them. I'd like to know where the seller was playing the thing before he retired, who he played it with during his career--that kind of thing. I thought he mentioned the gig he'd retired from in our commo, and I thought it was in email until I decided to dig it back up ... hence this topic, which is more than likely at its end.

Although I think the seller was from Oregon/that the O.E. Thayer Company was local (at least relatively so). So there's another piece of the puzzle--again, for whatever it's worth, assuming it's correct/that it's not just edited memory (one of the vagaries of human brain ownership). In any case I have adequate info to satisfy (almost/close enough), because the cosmos isn't going to maneuver in order to accommodate my sensibilities, so I make peace with what it's provided.

I guess there's also just how one can verify the authenticity of an O.E. Thayer Company horn with no apparent distinctive markings. That alone would be a win.

Should this thread now be moved back to the "Instruments" topic?
sungfw

Post by sungfw »

BaronVonBone wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:05 am Although I think the seller was from Oregon/that the O.E. Thayer Company was local (at least relatively so). So there's another piece of the puzzle--again, for whatever it's worth, assuming it's correct/that it's not just edited memory (one of the vagaries of human brain ownership). I
Hmm ... Oregon, Thayer bass, TTF, retiring in the late '00s: Norman Rowe?
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

Thanks sungfw! Doesn't ring a bell though.

And I have a friend named Rowe (which, as I understand it, would have connected the seller's name to a well established neural pathway and made it much less likely I'd forget it) ... just a side note.

Return to “Musicians”