Greg Black #1/.277" vs Regular Throat/Bore

Arendsdale

Greg Black #1/.277" vs Regular Throat/Bore

Post by Arendsdale »

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had experience/comments on the difference between Greg Black's #1/.277" combo vs. the regular option. Thanks!
Bach 42B w/Olsen Rotary Valve - Hammond 13MLs
'58/'59 Olds Special - Elliott 102.5/C+
H.N. White “The King”
bassclef

Re: Greg Black #1/.277" vs Regular Throat/Bore

Post by bassclef »

I love Greg's mouthpieces, tried them for the first time a couple years ago. I honestly didn't want to like them as much as I do because I could buy 3 or 4 new examples of what I was playing before for the cost of one GB. Now, I play his mouthpieces on everything from bass to small bore and am really happy with them all. Just bought another one last week.

In my opinion, the regular options for throat size and backbore on the Symphony Tenor mouthpieces feel and sound like small bass trombone mouthpieces. When I need to play large bore tenor, I personally don't require a sound which is produced by using that much air. The #1/.277 option brings those things back to the tenor side for me.

I play a 5GL #1/.277 and a 4.5G-5GL #1/.277. It's actually remarkable how different those two sound.

I did recently get the small-shank mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe on my Yamaha 321 euphonium replaced with those parts from the 621 model. I quickly found that I do need to use the standard throat & backbore on that horn now to get a good sound.
Arendsdale

Post by Arendsdale »

bassclef wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:00 am I love Greg's mouthpieces, tried them for the first time a couple years ago. I honestly didn't want to like them as much as I do because I could buy 3 or 4 new examples of what I was playing before for the cost of one GB. Now, I play his mouthpieces on everything from bass to small bore and am really happy with them all. Just bought another one last week.

In my opinion, the regular options for throat size and backbore on the Symphony Tenor mouthpieces feel and sound like small bass trombone mouthpieces. When I need to play large bore tenor, I personally don't require a sound which is produced by using that much air. The #1/.277 option brings those things back to the tenor side for me.

I play a 5GL #1/.277 and a 4.5G-5GL #1/.277. It's actually remarkable how different those two sound.

I did recently get the small-shank mouthpiece receiver and leadpipe on my Yamaha 321 euphonium replaced with those parts from the 621 model. I quickly found that I do need to use the standard throat & backbore on that horn now to get a good sound.
Thanks a bunch! I'm trying a 4.5g-5g #1/.277 right now, and I think the rim is just a little too small for me. I saw the NY5.5 is the same diameter, but have heard that it feels larger due to the rim contours. Have you ever tried any of the NY models?
Bach 42B w/Olsen Rotary Valve - Hammond 13MLs
'58/'59 Olds Special - Elliott 102.5/C+
H.N. White “The King”
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

Arendsdale wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:16 am Have you ever tried any of the NY models?
No, and I can't see a reason why I would. I'm sure a lot of people like them but I can't see how I'd be one of them. Not only do those all have the oversized throats & backbores I mentioned above, but there are so many models each carefully designed for the fine tuning of a specific sound/application for a specific person whose needs are drastically different from my own.
StevenHolloway

Post by StevenHolloway »

The NY series has standard throat size and #1 back bore.
JeffBone44

Post by JeffBone44 »

I have a 1 1/4G medium weight, it's marked with a "0" on the shank. What does that mean? "0" backbore? Is that larger than usual? Just by eyeballing it, it looks very big. The mouthpiece plays great in the lower register, but takes some serious chops to make it work in the upper register.
bassclef

Post by bassclef »

JeffBone44 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:20 am I have a 1 1/4G medium weight, it's marked with a "0" on the shank. What does that mean? "0" backbore? Is that larger than usual? Just by eyeballing it, it looks very big. The mouthpiece plays great in the lower register, but takes some serious chops to make it work in the upper register.
The stamp on the shank does indeed indicate the backbore.

I'm not sure of that's the biggest or the tightest, but I think that is the tightest-feeling shape. Not 100% sure about that because unless I can't find it, there isn't a list of the backbore options and their characteristics on their website for some reason.

Even if that is the tightest backbore, the upper register is still going to be a challenge with an 8.03mm opening at the top of it!

Return to “Mouthpieces”