Trombone section

How and what to teach and learn.
Adamthelemonite

Trombone section

Post by Adamthelemonite »

As section leader, it's supposed to be my job to work with my section, but they just think I'm trying to show off and won't listen. I'm good at music, but not social skills. How do I get my trombone section to grasp musical concepts without coming off as bossy, hot headed or cocky?
BGuttman

Re: Trombone section

Post by BGuttman »

Has anybody in authority explained to them what your role is? It may be that they think you are just bossy and a know-it-all. The BD should explain to all students that the Section Leader is responsible for helping them play properly.

Of course this is no invitation to go on a power trip. Shouting and intimidating are two ways to make sure nobody wants to follow you.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

First, it's not your section. You are all the section together.

If it's high school, don't worry about it. Play it cool, lead by example if you got the chops. Social interaction and having fun and making good friends is 10000x more important than you telling your section what they should be doing.

If everyone is good friends and there is someone who people want to emulate (might not be you even), people will emulate them, even subconsciously.

If they want to do better and they think you can help and trust you as a friend, they'll ask.

If they don't really want to do better but are having fun and trust you as a friend, they'll improve through osmosis through the whole section.

If they think you are bossy or don't trust you, they won't do what you say even if you know what you're talking about.

Don't discount the power of asking: "guys, I'm having trouble fitting in with everyone here. How can we make this more interesting in this one part here?"

There are so many non verbal ways to lead the section too. Always bringing your horn up one measure before the end of a long period of rests. Jokingly and playfully pointing to the new set of rests when a new phrase starts in a series of tons of multi rests. Always indicating where the articulation is at the start of a phrase, subtly with your slide. Always indicating where the end of a long note is, especially in a big band, with the end of your slide (in conjunction with lead trumpet). Playing phrases clearly, so you are literally setting the example to follow. Leaning ever so closely towards the player next to you when you are playing a phrase together, and cueing into them physically so you are actively adjusting tuning and listening. Having fun.
Last edited by harrisonreed on Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
imsevimse

Post by imsevimse »

You have to make the sektion a team. Don't be tempted to "tell" everybody how to play just make everybody comfortable. I focus on making everyone to know and feel I really appreciate them, and it isn't hard because I really do.

/Tom
Adamthelemonite

Post by Adamthelemonite »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. At a certain point, it is just high school band and it's okay if not everyone shares my drive for excellence. Imma try to schedule a sectional, not really for practicing, but more for uniting the section so we can have fun and improve together, rather than it being "my section" that I "tell" to do better.
afugate

Post by afugate »

Spend time in your sectional listening together to trombone sections playing the kind of music you're working on.

One way to build section camaraderie is to have a shared vision of what you're trying to achieve. Once everyone has a basic idea, as a group you can begin to identify things to adjust to see if they get you closer to your shared vision.

--Andy in OKC
VJOFan

Post by VJOFan »

"I'm not sure what's happening in bar 3, but it feels hard to tune that chord. Could be me. Can we try it to see if we can fix it?"

"I wasn't with the section in that fast part there. Can we go through it a little slower for me?"

The art of section diplomacy is to include yourself in the problem and ask the section to be part of the solution... to the thing "you" are screwing up. Even if they see through what you're doing, they can't really get too bent out of shape if you are always humble and collaborative in how you address them.

AND once you take this verbal tack it can become your attitude. Suddenly you may start to realize that a chord is out of tune because of your note or you really are the one rushing or slowing down, playing too softly or too loudly...

With calling sectionals, be mindful of the culture of your program. If the MD asks all section leaders to do that, then go ahead, but try out the style of speaking I model above. If no one else is doing sectionals then you will have to more or less get permission from the rest of the gang and convince them to buy in to the idea.
Kbiggs

Post by Kbiggs »

I think a lot of us have been exactly where you are, and are suggesting these things because (a) the school of hard knocks and (b) this what our more successful peers and our teachers/mentors have suggested.

Along the lines of what Harrison said: lead by example. Play more, talk less. The more you try to persuade them, the less likely they are to take you seriously and do what you tell them to (as opposed to asking them to do something).

A man convinced against his will
Is of the same opinion still.
Kenneth Biggs
I have known a great many troubles, but most of them have never happened.
—Mark Twain (attributed)
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I studied with Karl Rucht for a couple of years. Karl was the first trumpet of The Berlin Philharmonic when in his late teens and later became the conductor of The Heidleberg Symphony. I acquired many solid ideas on playing the trombone simply from his observations of what a good trombone player needed to do. He once made a good point of how important it is to establish a camaraderie within your section by grasping my shirtsleeve and touching it to his. The idea was that if you each go your own way, then there is NO section --- just a gaggle of trombone players ! "Adamthelemonite" has to realize that there must be a reason that HE was chosen as the section leader and it is probably because of his competence as a trombone player. Don't lose the musical awareness you described because those are the keys to a great musical future ! Social interactions are difficult in any situation when you are in high school so don't discount yourself over trivial matters. Once you become comfortable with your musical improvement, everything will fall in line socially as others recognize your talent. Really ! Hang in there !
Bach5G

Post by Bach5G »

How do I get my trombone section to grasp musical concepts without coming off as bossy, hot headed or cocky?

You can’t so don’t overdo it. In fact, keep it to a minimum.
TrryReynolds

Post by TrryReynolds »

You’ve received great responses. VJOfan’s suggestions will go a long way towards improving your relationship. You asked about musical concepts following his reply. Along the lines of his response, listen for ways your section mates can be “the example” of something you want to improve. Listen for anything you hear from one of the section, perhaps a crescendo, even if it’s less than called for, but at least towards your goal. Use them as the example- ask everyone to do it like them, even if you exemplify the concept better in your playing. You can always ask for more or less later on. Another idea, perhaps if you’re wanting staccato- “do you think we should be playing our notes as long as Emily was playing them or more like John?” A bit of positive attention to things your section players are doing might generate more enthusiasm from them to listen towards playing together.
Long-time school band director- hoping to get my face back into shape.

Bach lt42bofg 5g
Bach 12 Hammond 12m

Return to “Teaching & Learning”