Anyone have experience Mercer & Baker MB2G “Phoenix”

JimR

Anyone have experience Mercer & Baker MB2G “Phoenix”

Post by JimR »

Saw on FB the MB2 G “Phoenix” is a new 2G sized mouthpiece from M&B which is the general size I use on a Conn 72H (do not need a Remington shank size).

Currently using a Rath 2B. Always interested in new options in that size.

Anyone have any familiarity with this piece or experience with this line of mouthpieces?
Thanks
Jim
WGWTR180

Re: Anyone have experience Mercer & Baker MB2G “Phoenix”

Post by WGWTR180 »

This won’t be much help with the 2 size but I tried their 1 and 1/2 size piece during the height of Covid. For me it was too big and too heavy. Wondering if their “2” size is closer to my 1 and 1/2 size piece. Still probably too much mass for my tastes.
JimR

Post by JimR »

Thank you. Actually very helpful since it points to a style of design. Cheers.
Rob1662

Post by Rob1662 »

I have been using the Symington 2 for sometime and found it to be the best 26.5mm ish mp by far, I've used MV's Rath , Wick etc
I've recently tried the M&B 1.5 and found it not to work for me at all, it felt smaller than the Symington (although it isn't) and very stuffy in the valve register to low B.
The extra weight seems to make it very bright sounding, to the point where it became quite edgy very easily when pushed.
To confirm my feelings, I put my Rath 1.5 and 1.5W into the bone and they worked spot on, nicely centred, plenty of core and nice colour to the sound
I was testing on my Kanstul 1662 which is a commercial sounding instrument so the M&B may suite an Edwards or similar slide euphonium 😉 of course it's very personal but I'll stick to the Symington 2 or Rath 1.5 when I feel the need.
BTW anyone else with the Symington 2 notice how the internal cup diameter is larger than the rim a few mm into the cup? Maybe this is why it works so well from low F downwards?

Return to “Mouthpieces”