Newb questions regarding using the forum features

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
OldWetOneCanoli

Newb questions regarding using the forum features

Post by OldWetOneCanoli »

Ok, my second post. I've looked through FAQ and user CP. here are some questions.

1. How do I create a signature block in the User CP? I found an option to activate a signature block, but can't find an option to create the block.

2. I don't see a search engine link on the forum. Is there one? How do you search (other than external searches via google or safari)?

3. I would like to ask the moderator a question privately. Is there a way to do this?

Please let me know if any of these features activate once I have a few posts approved by the moderator.

thanks - OWOC
BGuttman

Re: Newb questions regarding using the forum features

Post by BGuttman »

Hi. Glad to have you here.

First -- Signature Block. Click your name at the right side of the header. Then select User Control Panel. One of the top tabs is Profile and when you open that one of the side options is Signature Block. Hope this gets you where you want.

Second -- Search Engine. You need three approved posts to use the Forum search. It used to be two, but we ran into some spammer problems and had to make that change. Meanwhile, the Forum search is pretty lousy. Better off using a conventional search with the delimiter "TromboneChat". There are a few posts from Matt K on how to do that.

Third -- Moderator Question. Again, you need 3 approved posts to use the internal messaging app in the Chat. However, Doug Elliott has his own Web Site with a "Contact Me" link. If you want to talk to me, use "[email protected]". Some of our other folks have encoded e-mails in various sales posts in the Classifieds.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
OldWetOneCanoli

Post by OldWetOneCanoli »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:41 pm First -- Signature Block. Click your name at the right side of the header. Then select User Control Panel. One of the top tabs is Profile and when you open that one of the side options is Signature Block. Hope this gets you where you want.
3 must be the magic number. Signature block turned on after my third approved post.
-----0-----
Jeff Morris

The Boneyard:
Bach 36
Bach 42B "Corporation" (~1980)
Conn 18H Coprion (55X,XXX)
Conn 88H (~1976)
D.E. Getzen Caravelle (beater horn)
Olds Ambassador
mselva

Post by mselva »

OldWetOneCanoli wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:23 pm Ok, my second post. I've looked through FAQ and user CP. here are some questions.

1. How do I create a signature block in the User CP? I found an option to activate a signature block, but can't find an option to create the block.

2. I don't see a search engine link on the forum. Is there one? How do you search (other than external searches via google or safari)?

3. I would like to ask the moderator a question privately. Is there a way to do this?

Please let me know if any of these features activate once I have a few posts approved by the moderator.

thanks - OWOC
I am a newcomer and I have the same questions. The lack of access to the Search function is a source of frustration.
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

-
Can I edit my corral? Or is that even a thing beyond just signing up (which I gather is kind of a human/legitimacy check)?

Also, is there a particular n00b/Newb intro topic I just haven't found?

Thanks!
-
Last edited by BaronVonBone on Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Some Forum features are not active until you have 3 approved posts.

You should be able to edit your Stable in your Profile. I'm not sure whether you need 3 posts to do this.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

No, there's very little that you can do before you have those three posts. Even with captchas, bots have managed to abuse just about every facet of features that you can have access to as a full member.
BaronVonBone

Post by BaronVonBone »

-
Much appreciated!

I guess after my next post I'll dig into the back stage stuff--see what's what.
-
tepposal

Post by tepposal »

Please give me also these features by accepting this third post of mine.
SamBTbrn

Post by SamBTbrn »

This should be my third approved post, "fingers crossed" so I am also hoping that these features become available to me.
Best
Sam
brumpone

Post by brumpone »

Matt K wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 am No, there's very little that you can do before you have those three posts. Even with captchas, bots have managed to abuse just about every facet of features that you can have access to as a full member.
Hi Matt, I noticed that the "Forum Rules" in the Classifieds forums still mention that two approved posts are required.
Thanks for everything you and the mods do to keep this place going!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

brumpone wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:22 am
Matt K wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:28 am No, there's very little that you can do before you have those three posts. Even with captchas, bots have managed to abuse just about every facet of features that you can have access to as a full member.
Hi Matt, I noticed that the "Forum Rules" in the Classifieds forums still mention that two approved posts are required.
Thanks for everything you and the mods do to keep this place going!

Still trying to figure out where that setting is :(

Someone very helpfully found the text but I can’t seem to find where I put it. I might have an idea if it’s actually set in the php files which evidently it might be… I’ll have time later this week to check. I didn’t even think it would be there so I don’t look. I should be able to grep for the text recursively to find it. Thanks!!
calgarytrainnut

Post by calgarytrainnut »

This looks like a safe place to put that third post since I guess I haven't had anything to say but just lots of lurking. I think this might be it since I don't see certain things in classified so here's hoping this does it. Cheers!
Looiz

Post by Looiz »

This thread has some good info. I was wondering where the search function was. I guess it’s just a few post away.
slideandtraps

Post by slideandtraps »

Thank you for this topic. Third post. Had also read of two posts during the signup and understand the reason. Remembering before FTP and consumer computers when the "network" was the analog phone network of AT&T and folks with blue boxes and free long distance at times was the issue. Trombones? They were just as beautiful.

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”