Good protective backpack case for Conn 88HT

BigBlueTrombone

Good protective backpack case for Conn 88HT

Post by BigBlueTrombone »

Hello! I am a college student looking for a solid replacement case for the factory option that came with the 88HT. I love the horn, but the case is lacking for what I need. As someone who is constantly walking with it and going to various gigs I need a backpack case, but since I have to store it in an instrument locker with other instruments and various cars it has to be able to deal with some roughness. The tricky part comes in with my budget. I don’t have a lot of spare cash so I really don’t have more than $200 to play with. I have used protec for other instruments but I’m a little more protective of my professional tenor. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!
harrisonreed

Re: Good protective backpack case for Conn 88HT

Post by harrisonreed »

I think I asked this exact question on the old forum like 15 years ago.

I tried a few gig bags and the cronkhite bag, and other backpack options for years. Most of them caused minor dings and dents that wouldn't have happened in the original case. I think the better concept is to get a good backpack to carry everything else that isn't your trombone (laptop, mics, interface, books, scores, mutes, or whatever). All that crap ends up weighing more than the trombone. You can carry an additional bag of mutes or whatever in your off-hand. The case to use is the original, holding from the "end" carry hand if you are tall enough. If you get tired or need to open a door, just plop the case down on the bell end. Easy to pick back up with no bending over.

Probably not the answer you want, but it's the answer I finally arrived at -- backpack instrument cases just aren't good.
Burgerbob

Post by Burgerbob »

IMO those original 88HT cases are pretty garbage- they aren't stiff, they aren't durable, they're heavy and large. A Bonna is going to be worlds better in just about every way.

For only $200, maybe a protec, but there really aren't options in that price bracket.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
afugate

Post by afugate »

I purchased a used BAC case that looks very similar to the Thomann FiberTech case. They aren't the same because the BAC is a 3 latch case and the Thomann is a 2 latch case.

That said, my daughter uses the case. Her BAC case is very protective.

This Reverb ad shows the BAC case my daughter uses.
https://reverb.com/item/41889972-b-a-c- ... demo-model

Here's a link to the Thomann case.
https://www.thomannmusic.com/thomann_fi ... silver.htm

--Andy in OKC
bmij

Post by bmij »

harrisonreed wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:45 pm I think I asked this exact question on the old forum like 15 years ago.

I tried a few gig bags and the cronkhite bag, and other backpack options for years. Most of them caused minor dings and dents that wouldn't have happened in the original case. I think the better concept is to get a good backpack to carry everything else that isn't your trombone (laptop, mics, interface, books, scores, mutes, or whatever). All that crap ends up weighing more than the trombone. You can carry an additional bag of mutes or whatever in your off-hand. The case to use is the original, holding from the "end" carry hand if you are tall enough. If you get tired or need to open a door, just plop the case down on the bell end. Easy to pick back up with no bending over.

Probably not the answer you want, but it's the answer I finally arrived at -- backpack instrument cases just aren't good.
harrisonreed, hi there! (^_^) I just registered for this forum, so it might take a while to get this post approved. I agree with your opinion that backpack strap cases are not ideal. However, I have a unique problem. I want to join a band in my town, but my wife needs the car and my only option would be to bike 3km to the rehearsal venue. I know it's risky but I am weighing my options. Of all the backpack strap cases you tried, which one of them actually kept your horn snug on your back without slipping?

Thanks in advance!
-bmij
Specialk3700

Post by Specialk3700 »

I've been really happy with the protec Ipac bass case. These are a lot better than the cheaper option from protec which I'm not a fan of. Even these I think are over $200 though. I see them going for $270ish. If you do get this you need to put a ziptie in the backpack clip to keep it from coming undone everytime you set it down.
Engineering student with a trombone problem.
Edwards B454
Shires Bravo
Yamaha 354
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

bmij wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:51 am
harrisonreed, hi there! (^_^) I just registered for this forum, so it might take a while to get this post approved. I agree with your opinion that backpack strap cases are not ideal. However, I have a unique problem. I want to join a band in my town, but my wife needs the car and my only option would be to bike 3km to the rehearsal venue. I know it's risky but I am weighing my options. Of all the backpack strap cases you tried, which one of them actually kept your horn snug on your back without slipping?

Thanks in advance!
-bmij
Completely honestly, none. No backpack case was a good ergonomic fit, protective, or snug. At least not all three at once. The only one that felt good was Altieri, but good luck finding one of those. If I had to do that, I'd probably go for a small fiberglass hard case with a strap and ride either with it slung to one side, or have a basket on the back and rest the bell end in there.

Return to “Accessories”