Mouthpiece Conn Connstellation 48H 1966

Dries

Mouthpiece Conn Connstellation 48H 1966

Post by Dries »

Hello,

I just began playing trombone on my Conn Constellation 48H from 1966. I play on een 7C and a 6 1/2 AL mouthpiece.
I want to try out different measures of mouthpieces.
But I don’t know where to begin. I like a sonorous brilliant sound.
I saw the Conn Lindberg 10CL (small bore).
Why is this mouthpiece so special? And IS it special? Why or why not. Can you give me some hints and tips and tricks to have a good exercision in trying?

Thanks. Dries.
The Netherlands.
BGuttman

Re: Mouthpiece Conn Connstellation 48H 1966

Post by BGuttman »

Your Connstellation probably came with a small shank Remington mouthpiece. It's about a 5G size.

Generally brilliance comes with small diameter rims and small/shallow cups. Sonority generally comes with a larger rim and a deeper cup.

The 7C and 6.5AL are fairly close in rim size, with the 6.5AL having a deeper cup and hence a more sonorous sound.

The Lindberg 10CL and the Wick 10CS are much smaller and shallower. They will give you more briliiance, but not more sonority. You may like it, or not. Bach makes the 11C and 12C that are approximately that size, but less expensive. I don't like the Lindberg mouthpieces because the rim is rather thin and if you use a lot of pressure it's like a cookie cutter on your lips. I have a 4CL which I don't play much.

Don't expect a mouthpiece to correct flaws in your playing, although if it is sized for your lip structure and the instrument you should find it hinders your playing less.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
hyperbolica

Post by hyperbolica »

The 48h is a great instrument. It changes slightly according to the mouthpiece. You can drive yourself crazy on a mouthpiece quest like this. Every different type of mouthpiece has its fans. The Lindberg mouthpieces are great, but if it works for you or not is personal.

I personally use and recommend Doug Elliott mouthpieces. I'm not sure if you have much access to these in Europe, but they give you good granularity for options, so you can zero in to the rim, cup and shank sizes that work best for you and your instrument.
blap73

Post by blap73 »

Don't overlook the ordinary. I'd been using a 7C... on my Conn 4H. I got a bunch of used mouthpieces to try something with a bit bigger rim diameter. Out of the bunch where did I land? Yamaha 48. Which is about as ordinary as you can get. And inexpensive. But I like it better than the 6.5 AL for some reason.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The Conn 48H probably did not originally come with a small-shank Remington - I think the Connstellation
Remington pieces were supplied with the medium-bore Conn trombones (e.g., 78H, 79H).

In any case, the Conn 3 mouthpiece (which may have been provided with some 48Hs) is a surprisingly good match for the 0.500" bore 48H. Cup I.D. 25.35mm / 0.998"; Throat 6.35mm / 0.250". Somewhat like a Bach 6½AM. Rather V-shaped cup vs the Conn 2. Affordable used if you can locate one and want to try it.

Veel succes!
Dries

Post by Dries »

Thank you all🎶
I think it’s better to study on my trombone and enjoy the music.
I will use my 6 1/2 AL, the 7C and 12C.
We’ll see and listen.
Thanks!

Return to “Mouthpieces”