King 608F - With Rotary Valve

ChapRick

King 608F - With Rotary Valve

Post by ChapRick »

I bought the King 608F because I wanted a .525 bore horn with an F-Attachment. After getting the rotary valve re-strung it works perfectly.
Last edited by ChapRick on Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burgerbob

Re: King 608F - Rotary Valve Issue

Post by Burgerbob »

Hmm. I am playing one of these literally today at work and I don't have that issue. Can you post a picture?
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
ChapRick

Post by ChapRick »

Burgerbob wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:08 pm Hmm. I am playing one of these literally today at work and I don't have that issue. Can you post a picture?
I sent a video of it to your Facebook messenger.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

Has the metal lever been bent horizontally ('towards your cheek', so to speak) so that the plastic linkage is rubbing against the bumper plate?

I'd still check that there are no internal issues as well. With the stop arm removed, does the rotor spindle rotate freely?

While the stop arm is removed, is the lever spring feel nice and positive?

Then, lubricate and check free movement at all pivot points. I can imagine that if the point circled below is stiff, especially in combination with an over-tight stringing, you might get the issue you've described.
rotor.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ChapRick

Post by ChapRick »

ithinknot wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:19 pm Has the metal lever been bent horizontally ('towards your cheek', so to speak) so that the plastic linkage is rubbing against the bumper plate?

I'd still check that there are no internal issues as well. With the stop arm removed, does the rotor spindle rotate freely?

While the stop arm is removed, is the lever spring feel nice and positive?

Then, lubricate and check free movement at all pivot points. I can imagine that if the point circled below is stiff, especially in combination with an over-tight stringing, you might get the issue you've described.

rotor.jpg
. I do not think the lever has been bent. I have old everything several times. The rotary valve is smooth and makes no noise. I may pull the trigger 50 times without it hanging up but then it might do it 3 times within 10 pulls, Totally intermittent. I have only had this trombone for about a month. I bought it from a dealer that sold it as "Open Box". It looks brand new. I cannot view your picture. It tells me I do not have permission....for some reason.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

ChapRick wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:47 pm I do not think the lever has been bent. I have old everything several times. The rotary valve is smooth and makes no noise. I may pull the trigger 50 times without it hanging up but then it might do it 3 times within 10 pulls, Totally intermittent. I have only had this trombone for about a month. I bought it from a dealer that sold it as "Open Box". It looks brand new. I cannot view your picture. It tells me I do not have permission....for some reason.
You might be able to see it if you log in again now that you've made three posts. Anyway, if it's new then that point (the pivot screw that connects the plastic link to the lever) could be tight on the linkage, or it's possible that the bearing plate isn't seated exactly right. If it's not absolutely level, the valve can often seem fine, but the tiny bit of extra play means that it can intermittently get itself into trouble.
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

I wish they had just stuck to the kidney shaped linkage on those. Mine has, apparently, been going strong since the moon landings. The newest kings use that string linkage, and they hang from time to time. I used ultra pure on one and that seemed to keep it from happening.
brassmedic

Post by brassmedic »

There are 2 ways to string a valve: the string crossing over itself, or crossing under itself. Whichever way it is now, you might try it the other way and see if it works better. The string could be too loose or too tight as well. Or the lever could be positioned too far towards one side against the stop arm. That can be adjusted by loosening the retaining screw on the stop arm and sliding the string one way or the other. Also, to repeat what others have said, you should take off the stop arm and ensure that the valve can be spun freely with your fingertips, without hanging up and with little resistance.
Brad Close Brass Instruments - brassmedic.com
ChapRick

Post by ChapRick »

brassmedic wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:42 pm There are 2 ways to string a valve: the string crossing over itself, or crossing under itself. Whichever way it is now, you might try it the other way and see if it works better. The string could be too loose or too tight as well. Or the lever could be positioned too far towards one side against the stop arm. That can be adjusted by loosening the retaining screw on the stop arm and sliding the string one way or the other. Also, to repeat what others have said, you should take off the stop arm and ensure that the valve can be spun freely with your fingertips, without hanging up and with little resistance.
I would be interested in knowing more about the two methods of stringing. Not sure which way mine is strung (crossing over or under). Here is a picture of mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

ChapRick wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:48 am I would be interested in knowing more about the two methods of stringing. Not sure which way mine is strung (crossing over or under).
Nothing complicated - it's just the relationship of the two front-to-back at the point circled... like choosing which diagonal ends up on top when lacing up boots. (It changes the angular force experienced by the linkage - you can also make the same choice at the smaller loop secured by the screw above the stop arm, but that's less significant here.)

IMG_5727.jpg
ChapRick

Post by ChapRick »

ithinknot wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:59 am
ChapRick wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:48 am I would be interested in knowing more about the two methods of stringing. Not sure which way mine is strung (crossing over or under).
Nothing complicated - it's just the relationship of the two front-to-back at the point circled... like choosing which diagonal ends up on top when lacing up boots. (It changes the angular force experienced by the linkage - you can also make the same choice at the smaller loop secured by the screw above the stop arm, but that's less significant here.)

IMG_5727.jpg
. OK....I see what you mean. Thanks, I may give that a try.

Return to “Maintenance”