Equipment for reverb + play music together

Dries

Equipment for reverb + play music together

Post by Dries »

I would like to use a microphone for my trombone and add some reverb on the sound. Simultaneously I want to play a track for accompaignment. All together on one receiver.
What should be the line-up and what kind of microphone is good enough and what kind of reverb?
Another question: do you have experiences with mixers sold by Aliexpress?
Can you advice me?
Last edited by Dries on Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SimmonsTrombone

Re: Equipment for reverb + play music together

Post by SimmonsTrombone »

The traditional answer would probably be a Shure SM-57 mic (around $100) and one of the stomp boxes like guitar players use. I use a Roland VE-20 vocal effects stomp box (https://www.boss.info/us/products/ve-20/) though that’s not all together. Something like the Behringer Euroports may be what you’re looking for.
mbarbier

Post by mbarbier »

A great solution is to use the software Reaper. It's a recording software, but actually works well for this too. I use it all the time when I just need delay lines, reverb, and/or simple playback. It provides wayyyy more flexibility than pedals. It comes with ok reverb and you can find some excellent free downloads to expand the options.

Reaper is not technically free, but has a free trial that never expires...but if you do choose to buy it, it's still cheaper than any decent effect pedal.

Sm57 is a great option. I also use the Audio-Technica pro-35 clip on mic quite a lot.
trombone faculty at CalArts and LA City College
1/2 of RAGE Thormbones
they/them
https://mattiebarbier.bandcamp.com/
http://www.mattiebarbier.com/
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I haven't tried it but it should work if you use a Yamaha Silent Brass unit and substitute a microphone for the mute [which has a microphone built in]. The early model [SB7X] has inputs for 2 instruments and an input for a tape/CD player that can be blended into the 2 instrument channels. Granted, there are only 3 reverb options on the unit but they are quite decent. It is compact and may well serve your needs. It may be a bit difficult to find an early SB7X since later models have become available. The earphone output can be routed to an external sound system if you want to impress the neighbors with your tromboning prowess ! Just a thought -----------
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Ableton live + whatever live mic you want to use, and some speakers for a live situation. People usually use a control surface with Ableton, rather than pedals.

If you're taking about doing this in a studio, you would just record yourself using the best mic and pre amp you can get your hands on, and all the reverb and backing tracks would be added later in your DAW.

Return to “Technology”