bass trombone valve notation

How and what to teach and learn.
carlbone

bass trombone valve notation

Post by carlbone »

I came up with my own shorthand valve notation while learning to play a real bass trombone the last couple months and have been writing lots of alternate positions and valve choices on my music. This saves a lot of space too. 1 is 1st position F valve. 1 with a line on top (I don't know how to type an overline) is 1st with Gb trigger. 1 with both lines, an underscore and overscore, indicates both triggers. Simple and easy.
BGuttman

Re: bass trombone valve notation

Post by BGuttman »

Any notation that works for you is good. I devised something with a V for the F valve, an inverted V for the 2nd valve, and a nestled pair of V's for both valves. It's all good.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Crazy4Tbone86

Post by Crazy4Tbone86 »

Your system makes sense to me. However, the biggest problem with trombone valve notation (in my humble opinion) is the numbering system. There are some methods that use only whole numbers to describe positions.

To clarify: Everyone is usually familiar with the traditional 7 positions. The exact location of those positions will be different for every person, every horn, etc…..

Now this is where things start to really vary. Some methods use a 1 through 6 numbering system for the notes that engage the F-attachment. The difference is that the positions on the F-attachment are much longer or spread out when the F valve is engaged. When they write E-flat = V3, they are implying that the 3rd position is longer than the normal 3rd position that is used for A-flat. I think this method is very confusing for young students and they do strange things like play a low D in V4 (a 4th position that is the same as D and G without the F valve) and bend it down…….or, if they don’t have a developed ear, play it incredibly sharp.

I prefer to use decimals to approximate the position. For example: E-flat = V3.6, D = V4.9, D-flat = V6.1, etc….. In other words, I think your underscore/over score system is fine. For me (and especially my bass trombone students), it is the numbers that need the greatest clarification.
Brian D. Hinkley - Player, Teacher, Technician and Trombone Enthusiast
Chronos91

Post by Chronos91 »

I haven't had to write out a notation yet but I like how elegant the system is. I might do something like this if I ever notate positions on my music.
Lamplighter

Post by Lamplighter »

I had never used an F attachment until I started playing base several months ago. My teacher had me imagine a connection from the F trigger to the slide, so that when ever the F valve was actuated, the slide moved with it in every position but first. I may still lose concentration occasionally and forget to depress the F trigger, but when I do , the slide moves. It didn't take long to ingrain how far it moves. So I still think 3rd position for Eb, but the slide automatically goes out to 3.6 or wherever it is on my horn. This is easier for me, especially when palying fast passages.

Return to “Teaching & Learning”