Plane-friendly 10.5in bass case

trombinstharry

Plane-friendly 10.5in bass case

Post by trombinstharry »

Hey all, last week I was flying a lot with my school and my protex max bass case was too big for half of the plane overhead compartments. I'm gonna be flying again in March, and would like to get a smaller case to fit better in overheads (and the protec case is really bulky in general for me), do you guys have any recommendations?

I would rather not cut the bell. I know it's a huge bell but I don't fly enough to cut it.
Burgerbob

Re: Plane-friendly 10.5in bass case

Post by Burgerbob »

The Marcus Bonna XL case is the only one I would think would possibly work, but even that might be too large across the bell dimension. IIRC overheads are 11 inches tall or so, and I think it has more than a half inch of padding.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Another possibility (if the crew will cooperate) is to put your trombone in the coat closet. If your Band is filling the plane, this might be a better possibility.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
spencercarran

Post by spencercarran »

Just checked my Bonna XL and the bell end clocks in at a hair under 11" tall so you might get it to fit in some overheads. Officially every airline I know of prohibits carryon luggage of that size, so proceed with caution.

(Also, afaik most cut-bell cases can only accommodate a 9.5" flare, so that option is probably off the table too)
WilliamLang

Post by WilliamLang »

On larger planes you'll have a chance - I always get the extra fast pass to help in that regard when traveling.

On smaller planes (and you can check what plane you'll be taking once you have your flight number) you're probably out of luck most of the time. I have a hard time fitting my 8.5 inch tenor bell in the overhead of any type of plane that has a 2+1 seating (as opposed to the larger 3+3 or even 2+3+2 seats.)

Sometimes! on those smaller planes you can stow a case underneath the two seats in front of you, if there's not a divider and your seat mate is friendly (or it's an empty plane) but that's definitely not worth counting on.
William Lang
Interim Instructor, the University of Oklahoma
Stephens Horns Artist
Long Island Brass Artist
faculty, the Longy School of Music
founding member of loadbang
www.williamlang.org
BigBadandBass

Post by BigBadandBass »

I’m guessing if you’re flying with a school, there’s a low chance of being able to get a fast pass to check on early and or use the coat closet. When I flew with my band the bass clarinet and bigger woodwinds got those spots.

Fwiw, I’ve have great luck gate checking a protec (prop AC not ipac) case full of clothes, a bell cone and luggage strapped together. I had a chunk come out of the case and one of the screws disappear but the trombone was fine.

Getting it cut and or getting a travel gig bag may be an alternative, but expensive. If you’re really worried, I’D see if your school or district have maybe a less valuable trombone that you’d be okay getting some battle scars
baroquetrombone

Post by baroquetrombone »

spencercarran wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am Just checked my Bonna XL and the bell end clocks in at a hair under 11" tall so you might get it to fit in some overheads. Officially every airline I know of prohibits carryon luggage of that size, so proceed with caution.

(Also, afaik most cut-bell cases can only accommodate a 9.5" flare, so that option is probably off the table too)
Instruments aren't confined to carry-on dimensions, per Federal rule.

If I was flying with a modern bass, especially with a 10.5" bell, I'd just plan for gate checking the whole time though. As you found out, there are too many planes that won't fit it. Or fly only on Delta 737s. Those things can swallow a tuba, I swear. :lol:
elmsandr

Post by elmsandr »

baroquetrombone wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:37 am
spencercarran wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am Just checked my Bonna XL and the bell end clocks in at a hair under 11" tall so you might get it to fit in some overheads. Officially every airline I know of prohibits carryon luggage of that size, so proceed with caution.

Instruments aren't confined to carry-on dimensions, per Federal rule.

If I was flying with a modern bass, especially with a 10.5" bell, I'd just plan for gate checking the whole time though. As you found out, there are too many planes that won't fit it. Or fly only on Delta 737s. Those things can swallow a tuba, I swear. :lol:
Not confined to carry-on dimension limits… unfortunately still bound by the laws of physics for things that fit.

Trombones, and bass trombones in particular, are in that unhappy place of sometimes they kinda fit.

I wouldn’t risk it too much. I’d invest in a case that can go under and expect to gate check it. If it gets in the overhead, that’s a bonus, but expect it to go for a ride underneath.

Cheers,
Andy
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Isn't it still the practice for cellists to purchase an extra passenger seat so they can have their instruments accompany them on airplanes?
bassbone

Post by bassbone »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:06 pm Isn't it still the practice for cellists to purchase an extra passenger seat so they can have their instruments accompany them on airplanes?
Absolutely.

Unfortunately though with airlines routinely overselling planes there have also been no shortage of instances of cellists who have purchased an extra seat for their instrument being kicked off flights because the captain took issue with this practice, or having the airline trying to force them to check the instrument so they can have a person in that seat.
ryebrye

Post by ryebrye »

I'm picturing a cello with frequent flyer status being selected for an upgrade to first class while the cello player is stuck in the main cabin.
Digidog

Post by Digidog »

Some schools, at least those I've attended, have invested in flight cases - for the students to either loan or hire, and/or for the institution-owned instruments that the students loan or hire.

For the instruments I frequently fly with, I have made the effort of investing in in-checkable flight cases. A Selmer for my regular horn and an Accord for the bass.

If you, OP, have to fly with a school owned instrument, see if your school can invest in a proper flight case.
Last edited by Digidog on Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome to visit my web store: https://www.danieleng.com/

Big Engband on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/30Vuft1 ... me3sZi8q-A
Wade

Post by Wade »

I have a Marcus Bona XL case and fly 3-6 times a year with it. Almost always on 737s. It always fits in the overhead.

Return to “Accessories”