Question on shipping to Japan

Spin your yarns here.
Mamaposaune

Question on shipping to Japan

Post by Mamaposaune »

Not sure where to put this, but does anyone here have experience shipping horns (in my case it will be a bell) from the U.S. to Japan?
Looking for suggestions on carriers; packing; estimates on cost; hidden costs; risks?
Burgerbob

Re: Question on shipping to Japan

Post by Burgerbob »

Usps is always your best choice internationally.
Aidan Ritchie, LA area player and teacher
harrisonreed

Post by harrisonreed »

Sure, I live in Japan. Basically, if you can get it to Japanese customs, it will be delivered. There will likely be import customs due on the customer's end, and you can rest assured that someone in customs will be stressing out until they get a reply from the customer. They'll send a letter to them in the normal post along the lines of:

"We are terribly sorry and embarrassed to be bothering you, but you owe customs tax on XYZ. Please pay it by ZYX. Again we are embarrassed on your behalf and so terribly sorry."

Then if you sent it via USPS, the Japan Post will stress out about delivering it once that is paid. There are other services too, like FEDEX, DHL, and Yamato "Kuroneko" transport, and they are all top class. But that's only once the shipment hits Japan. I've had deliveries from all three and the desperation on the part of the employee to do a good job is intense!

I don't think there will be any hidden fees.
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

In other words, exactly the opposite of most delivery drivers in the US.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Our UPS driver for the past several years, Steve, has been great. But he has just moved out of state, so we now have a new driver, who took the time to introduce himself and promise great service. We're off to a good start there.

We also have had good luck with our regular USPS delivery drivers the past few years, But all bets are off when we get a USPS sub - could be fine, but sometimes ... :?

My son-in-law, a native New Yorker, recently moved here to California, and he's suspicious / skeptical about the folks he's met. He says they're all so polite - he's not sure if they're sincerely nice or whether it's a façade!
greenbean

Post by greenbean »

Damned New Yorkers!...
Tom in San Francisco
Currently playing...
Bach Corp 16M
Many French horns

Return to “Tangents”