EriKon

Chicago Symphony Section Recording

Post by EriKon »

Just found this one and completely blown away :amazed:
Matt K
Verified

Re: Chicago Symphony Section Recording

Post by Matt K »

I have listened to that track of Bruckner 8 probably more than a thousand times. I love that album
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

THE Gold standard. There are many substantial low brass sections, but when someone asks me which was the best of all time, I usually go with THIS one.

I'm thankful to have studied with Jay Friedman in college & Civic.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
BassBoneFL

Post by BassBoneFL »

50+yrs later it is a revelation to yet another generation.
Harold Van Schaik
Bass Trombone
The Florida Orchestra
S.E. Shires Artist
sjkca

Post by sjkca »

THE highest benchmark. Although there are numerous substantial low brass parts, I typically choose THIS one when someone asks which was the best of all time.I'm appreciative of having taken classes with Jay Friedman in college and civic. I work as a chair.
Thank you.
ithinknot

Post by ithinknot »

BrianJohnston wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:06 pm THE Gold standard. There are many substantial low brass sections, but when someone asks me which was the best of all time, I usually go with THIS one.

I'm thankful to have studied with Jay Friedman in college & Civic.
sjkca wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:56 am THE highest benchmark. Although there are numerous substantial low brass parts, I typically choose THIS one when someone asks which was the best of all time.I'm appreciative of having taken classes with Jay Friedman in college and civic. I work as a chair.
Thank you.
Greetings, paraphrasebot3000! May your work as a chair be crowned with a thousand butts.
SwissTbone

Post by SwissTbone »

sjkca wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:56 am I work as a chair.
I hope your employer doesn't have weight issues.
ƒƒ---------------------------------------------------ƒƒ
Like trombones? Head over to https://swisstbone.com/ to see some great vintage and custom horns!
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

sjkca wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:56 am THE highest benchmark. Although there are numerous substantial low brass parts, I typically choose THIS one when someone asks which was the best of all time.I'm appreciative of having taken classes with Jay Friedman in college and civic. I work as a chair.
Thank you.
wtf is this?
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

Nice to see that trolls have a place to spend their days too. Don't take it personally Brian - he's taking a break from singing the praises of horse dewormer on a "health" site.

JS
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

Yup. Clearly someone who can't win a spot in a community band with 4-5 trombone openings, and they're the only one auditioning.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
Elow

Post by Elow »

That is really weird, reminds me of when i would put an article into an AI website and it would give me a reworded essay for school… i learned a lot
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Obviously someone who wanted to spam the forum. They’re gone now.
CalgaryTbone

Post by CalgaryTbone »

This is off-topic a bit, but since we're talking about the CSO section, has anyone heard anything about the open Associate position there? I had heard that filling it was not as big a priority as 1st Trumpet & 1st Horn which are essentially the same audition committee, so it is a scheduling issue (needing to schedule auditions during Music Director weeks). I'm just curious at this point - although if I thought I could get the job at this point, I would be a "kid" next to Jay!

What a great brass legacy in the CSO!

Jim Scott
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Looking forward to hearing the current Chicago Symphony Orchestra in person here in California on January 24.
Riccardo Muti conducting. Concert program:
BEETHOVEN: Symphony No. 7
LIADOV: The Enchanted Lake, Op. 62
MUSSORGSKY/RAVEL: Pictures at an Exhibition
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Too bad Beethoven 7 doesn't call for trombones (but it has a neat 2nd Bassoon part that I covered on trombone once).
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Apparently no trombones in the Liadov, either. :(
"The Enchanted Lake is written for a symphonic orchestra with three flutes, two oboes, three clarinets, two bassoons, four horns, timpani, celesta, bass drum, harp and strings."
It's only 7½ minutes.
BrianJohnston

Post by BrianJohnston »

CalgaryTbone wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:33 pm This is off-topic a bit, but since we're talking about the CSO section, has anyone heard anything about the open Associate position there?
They're leaving it open as a sort of internship for the Civic Orchestra guys to sub in Chicago Symphony more often.
Fort Wayne Philharmonic
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

BrianJohnston wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:48 am
CalgaryTbone wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:33 pm This is off-topic a bit, but since we're talking about the CSO section, has anyone heard anything about the open Associate position there?
They're leaving it open as a sort of internship for the Civic Orchestra guys to sub in Chicago Symphony more often.
Which - for better or worse, depending on your perspective - saves the CSO a lot of money in salary and benefits.
brtnats

Post by brtnats »

I’m a CSO subscriber. Heard them do Saint-Saëns 3 last month and the CSO brass concert. Just…the very best of ensemble playing.
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Posaunus wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:12 pm Looking forward to hearing the current Chicago Symphony Orchestra in person here in California on January 24.
:eek: That's a LONG concert. Anything less than the CSO and I'd say the trumpet section would be falling out of their chairs by the time they get to the Gate of Kiev
GabrielRice

Post by GabrielRice »

Matt K wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Posaunus wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:12 pm Looking forward to hearing the current Chicago Symphony Orchestra in person here in California on January 24.
:eek: That's a LONG concert. Anything less than the CSO and I'd say the trumpet section would be falling out of their chairs by the time they get to the Gate of Kiev
Not really...about 90 minutes of music. I'll bet the assistant principal will play Beethoven (which is brutal and pretty thankless for 1st trumpet). Pictures has a lot of resting time in between some very exposed playing for the principal trumpet, and the big blow is at the end.

There isn't actually that much for the trombones to play in Pictures, but what there is is great. I'm sure it will be more than worth the price of admission!
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

Huh, I remember Pictures being a lot longer than that. Maybe I was just stressed out waiting to do the Euph solo on Bydlo and it made it feel longer!
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Matt K wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:11 pm
Nah.
Beethoven 7: ~42 minutes. No low brass; 2 trumpets, 2 horns
Liadov: ~7½ minutes. No low brass; 4 horns
Mussorgsky/Ravel: ~33 minutes. (Very) full orchestra Great for the brass players to play! All will be exhilarated.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

For those who want to know how well the CSO has played "Pictures"
OldWetOneCanoli

Post by OldWetOneCanoli »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:41 pm For those who want to know how well the CSO has played "Pictures"
When I was a student in Wisconsin, around 1980 I heard CSO with Solti play Pictures in their hall on Michigan Ave. We were in the nosebleed seats, but it was awesome - the entire brass section, but especially Herseth. Every so often we would hear them play in the summer at Ravinia.
-----0-----
Jeff Morris

The Boneyard:
Bach 36
Bach 42B "Corporation" (~1980)
Conn 18H Coprion (55X,XXX)
Conn 88H (~1976)
D.E. Getzen Caravelle (beater horn)
Olds Ambassador
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Follow-up. Attended the concert last night.
Bottom line: The Chicago Symphony Orchestra is a remarkable ensemble! (But you already knew that.)

Riccardo Muti is retiring after this season, so this is his last tour with the orchestra. Perhaps it's my imagination, but it seemed to me that he was really giving it his all. I thought I knew Beethoven's 7th, but the performance was revelatory. So much detail could be heard in our wonderful Segerstrom Concert Hall, and the soloists and ensemble playing were extraordinary (especially the 4 horns). Of course the Pictures from an Exhibition was magnificent, showing off all the power and virtuosity of this orchestra. And a special nod to Maestro Muti, who at the beginning of the concert had the entire audience stand in silence for 60 seconds in recognition of the recent violence in California and in sympathy for the victims.

If you have the chance, attend as many live concerts as you can. Music does touch the soul.

Return to “Media”