Playing After Eye Surgery

Spin your yarns here.
Cotboneman

Playing After Eye Surgery

Post by Cotboneman »

Ah, aging - It's not only wisdom that the years bring us (supposedly). I am anticipating having to undergo stent implants to treat my glaucoma symptoms and a simultaneous cataract surgery in early 2023 and was wondering if other members had any restrictions placed on their playing in the month following their surgeries. I'm told not to engage in any heavy lifting or vigorous activities until the incisions heal, and that's perfectly understandable. I've also been advised to not play for a couple of weeks. I'm not seeking medical advice mind you - I've got excellent doctors to discuss options with. I was looking for experiences others might want to share.
BGuttman

Re: Playing After Eye Surgery

Post by BGuttman »

Had a buckle placed on one eye following detached retina surgery. Stayed away for 2 months. Fortunately, the surgery was in November and I didn't have any orchestra for that 2 months.

Had cataract surgery on both eyes but at the time I was not playing due to other medical conditions. I restarted about a year after the surgeries. The cataract surgery is a lot less invasive than the buckle or stent, but you still need to go through a month's worth of post op treatment after each eye. Given the vision problems after the surgery, reading music is a real problem. Once you are fully healed from the cataract surgery you should be good to go; with the addition of new glasses to fit your new lenses.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Ah thank you! I'm expecting at least a month of vision issues on each eye before I'm back to reading music. My concern was also with added muscle tension in the face from playing which could cause issues with healing. I know my doctors have advised against lifting heavy weights during this phase of healing. I don't play with much pressure anyway, but laying off just makes sense.
2bobone

Post by 2bobone »

I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your restrictive surgeries. When you are used to blowing your beloved trombone every day, the pronouncements of your doctor always seem like a sentence.
As I was being indoctrinated into the U.S. Army Band, there was a trombonist who was retiring due to an affliction involving his optical nerve. It was the first time I ever truly realized that there were a variety of circumstances in which health problems in one area of your body could impact your ability to perform. He was told that the vibrations of playing the trombone would eventually render him blind ! Fortunately for him, he was at a reasonable retirement age and found his restrictions tolerable. I'm sure that medical advances will temper the restrictions that you must endure. My example was from many years ago.
I remember Ed Kleinhammer saying to me that he thought that brass players were "sedentary athletes" and that actual athletes were no more capable of doing what we have to do as brass performers than we were capable of doing what is required for their jobs. Being a serious brass player is no "Walk In The Park" !
It sounds like you have great doctors and ones in which you have complete confidence. That is a huge benefit to great success in the procedure and an easy path to a complete recovery.
January of 2023 will be the 2 year mark for my open heart surgery and I've never enjoyed my daily trombone ritual any more that I do now. You will do well with your positive attitude and be back in the saddle in good time, I'm sure. All best wishes ----------- :good:
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

When I had cataract surgery, I didn’t play for one week after each eye. Got the okay for this schedule. But……I was a little nervous about playing anything above an F above the staff for a few days after each eye.

Fridge
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

2bobone wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:36 pm I'm genuinely sorry to hear of your restrictive surgeries. When you are used to blowing your beloved trombone every day, the pronouncements of your doctor always seem like a sentence.
As I was being indoctrinated into the U.S. Army Band, there was a trombonist who was retiring due to an affliction involving his optical nerve. It was the first time I ever truly realized that there were a variety of circumstances in which health problems in one area of your body could impact your ability to perform. He was told that the vibrations of playing the trombone would eventually render him blind ! Fortunately for him, he was at a reasonable retirement age and found his restrictions tolerable. I'm sure that medical advances will temper the restrictions that you must endure. My example was from many years ago.
I remember Ed Kleinhammer saying to me that he thought that brass players were "sedentary athletes" and that actual athletes were no more capable of doing what we have to do as brass performers than we were capable of doing what is required for their jobs. Being a serious brass player is no "Walk In The Park" !
It sounds like you have great doctors and ones in which you have complete confidence. That is a huge benefit to great success in the procedure and an easy path to a complete recovery.
January of 2023 will be the 2 year mark for my open heart surgery and I've never enjoyed my daily trombone ritual any more that I do now. You will do well with your positive attitude and be back in the saddle in good time, I'm sure. All best wishes ----------- :good:
Thank you for the encouragement! And continued blessings to you as you pursue our beloved instrument!
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Fridge wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:01 pm When I had cataract surgery, I didn’t play for one week after each eye. Got the okay for this schedule. But……I was a little nervous about playing anything above an F above the staff for a few days after each eye.

Fridge
Good to know!
Ken

Post by Ken »

I had premium lens replacement done on one eye last week, the other eye this week. The vision is relatively good after a couple of days and has been improving daily, reading music would not be a problem. I am playing at remembarance tomorrow but I will be taking it very easy.

It is difficult to judge how long the healing takes, the nurses/doctors are vague, they said no strenuous exercise for a couple of weeks so I guess easy playing would be fine.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

A dear friend and well known LA player just had both eyes done over a two week period. They told him to wait for 12 days after the second one.

Eddie
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

Fridge wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:52 pm A dear friend and well known LA player just had both eyes done over a two week period. They told him to wait for 12 days after the second one.

Eddie
I've been advised to wait two weeks, so this lines up with your friend's experience. Thanks so much!
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

My friend had some pretty hard core eye surgery.

Don't do anything that will jar your head. Make sure whoever is driving you home understands: no sudden stops, no potholes, no sharp turns. You want smooth sailing all the way.
>>Robert Holmén<<

Hear me as I play my horn

See my Spacepod movie
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

robcat2075 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:37 pm My friend had some pretty hard core eye surgery.

Don't do anything that will jar your head. Make sure whoever is driving you home understands: no sudden stops, no potholes, no sharp turns. You want smooth sailing all the way.
No monster truck rallies for me! :D
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Oddly enough, I’m having cataract surgery next week and the week following. The surgeon says that I can resume all my normal activities, including playing trombone, immediately. Either he knows what he’s doing and I’ll be all right, or he profoundly misunderstands brass playing and I’ll ruin the first eye permanently.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

Reedman1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:16 am Oddly enough, I’m having cataract surgery next week and the week following. The surgeon says that I can resume all my normal activities, including playing trombone, immediately. Either he knows what he’s doing and I’ll be all right, or he profoundly misunderstands brass playing and I’ll ruin the first eye permanently.
You may be fine - but why not take a few days off for your peace of mind, relax and recover, and enjoy your new view of life?
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

Reedman1 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:16 am Oddly enough, I’m having cataract surgery next week and the week following. The surgeon says that I can resume all my normal activities, including playing trombone, immediately. Either he knows what he’s doing and I’ll be all right, or he profoundly misunderstands brass playing and I’ll ruin the first eye permanently.
The trombone playing part may be OK but the eyesight for music reading may be a real problem. If you can, wait until your surgery stabilizes and you get new glasses.

I was extremely nearsighted and the replacement lenses corrected me so I didn't need glasses for music reading or computer (I have a small prescription for distance, and use cheap reading glasses for closer work. After the first eye the eyesight was so different I could barely make things out. Now that I'm well past the surgery I can play again. In fact, about 2 months after.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

Unfun fact... 100+ years ago, cataract surgery patients had to spend many weeks afterward with their head immobilized to allow the tissue to mend back together.

Probably something only the rich could ever afford to manage.
>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BGuttman wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:43 pm
The trombone playing part may be OK but the eyesight for music reading may be a real problem. If you can, wait until your surgery stabilizes and you get new glasses.

I was extremely nearsighted and the replacement lenses corrected me so I didn't need glasses for music reading or computer (I have a small prescription for distance, and use cheap reading glasses for closer work. After the first eye the eyesight was so different I could barely make things out. Now that I'm well past the surgery I can play again. In fact, about 2 months after.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll see how things turn out. This surgeon does what he calls “dropless surgery” - putting all the necessary drops in the eye during surgery. I asked this morning about resuming activities such as playing, picking things up off the floor, and walking in cold, windy weather, which tends to make my eyes run. Apparently all OK right away. AND I’m supposed to be able to drive to the follow-up appointment, an hour away, the next morning. If it doesn’t turn out that way, I guess I’ll be disappointed. But it’s a much rosier prognosis than I would have expected.
CBlair

Post by CBlair »

While I cannot respond to the more involved surgeries, I had cataract surgery at the first of this year, no restrictions and everything went very well. My vision in each eye initially was blurry (like being on a beach when a fog rolls through), but, both times, by midday the following day my vision was better than I ever have known. I do not play professionally, so a couple of days off was no big deal. I was more excited to hike and bike in the outdoors and look around at - everything. I do not take my vision for granted; it's a blessing to live in this era, to have it correctable and now corrected.

I also opted for the multi-focal lenses. They are expensive, but, for me, they are excellent. My correction was pretty severe, for glasses, contacts, and now these new lenses. As for playing, before I was always futzing with contacts, contacts and cheap readers, or music-specific glasses. That was likely the growing cataract effect. There were times when things would just get sketchy and some Es got played as Fs, etc. Now, I can easily read two, three pages of music across the stand. I admit, though, good lighting is still helpful, even necessary.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Cotboneman

Post by Cotboneman »

CBlair wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:00 pm While I cannot respond to the more involved surgeries, I had cataract surgery at the first of this year, no restrictions and everything went very well. My vision in each eye initially was blurry (like being on a beach when a fog rolls through), but, both times, by midday the following day my vision was better than I ever have known. I do not play professionally, so a couple of days off was no big deal. I was more excited to hike and bike in the outdoors and look around at - everything. I do not take my vision for granted; it's a blessing to live in this era, to have it correctable and now corrected.

I also opted for the multi-focal lenses. They are expensive, but, for me, they are excellent. My correction was pretty severe, for glasses, contacts, and now these new lenses. As for playing, before I was always futzing with contacts, contacts and cheap readers, or music-specific glasses. That was likely the growing cataract effect. There were times when things would just get sketchy and some Es got played as Fs, etc. Now, I can easily read two, three pages of music across the stand. I admit, though, good lighting is still helpful, even necessary.

I wish you well and a speedy recovery.
Thank you! I will be looking forward to my consultation with the surgeon in late January.
KiaraEdward004

Post by KiaraEdward004 »

Usually, there is a factor that influences your decision to have LASIK, especially if you are a stage performer. You experience something and think to yourself, "That's it, I'm done with glasses."

In the eleventh grade, my eyesight began to deteriorate. I had a -5.25D prescription in both eyes by the time I was 25. Without my spectacles, I was essentially blind as a result. I had glasses for a long time and didn't mind them. I made the decision to get the surgery when I was 28. Given that my prescription had been consistent for a few years, the moment felt right. It is all going well and clear with my eyes and Prayers for all doing this.
Check here for more LASIK Eye Surgery Experience : https://www.avantlasikspa.com/Lasik-Eye-Surgery
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

KiaraEdward004 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:13 am Usually, there is a factor that influences your decision to have LASIK, especially if you are a stage performer. You experience something and think to yourself, "That's it, I'm done with glasses."

In the eleventh grade, my eyesight began to deteriorate. I had a -5.25D prescription in both eyes by the time I was 25. Without my spectacles, I was essentially blind as a result. I had glasses for a long time and didn't mind them. I made the decision to get the surgery when I was 28. Given that my prescription had been consistent for a few years, the moment felt right. It is all going well and clear with my eyes and Prayers for all doing this.
Check here for more LASIK Eye Surgery Experience : https://www.avantlasikspa.com/Lasik-Eye-Surgery
Too bad LASIK doesn't work on cataracts...

But cataracts are treated by using a laser to destroy the lens, the fragments are vacuumed out, and a replacement lens is inserted. It sounds a lot worse than it is.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:03 am But cataracts are treated by using a laser to destroy the lens, the fragments are vacuumed out, and a replacement lens is inserted. It sounds a lot worse than it is.
At least it’s not a sharp object…!
Reedman1

Post by Reedman1 »

Reedman1 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:01 am
BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:03 am But cataracts are treated by using a laser to destroy the lens, the fragments are vacuumed out, and a replacement lens is inserted. It sounds a lot worse than it is.
At least it’s not a sharp object…!
Surgery was today. And it turned out that the doctor did use a sharp object 8nstead of a laser!
I’m OK…
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

BGuttman wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:03 am
KiaraEdward004 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:13 am Usually, there is a factor that influences your decision to have LASIK, especially if you are a stage performer. You experience something and think to yourself, "That's it, I'm done with glasses."

Too bad LASIK doesn't work on cataracts...

But cataracts are treated by using a laser to destroy the lens, the fragments are vacuumed out, and a replacement lens is inserted. It sounds a lot worse than it is.
In my case they used a sharp object. But I was blissfully anesthesized. The scariest part was when they required me to watch the video of how the procedure would be done, in order to have informed consent. Even a cartoon version is pretty bad.

Then later they went back and did the laser capsulectomy, saying that some crud had built up on the lens capsule. That was invasive but not painful.
robcat2075

Post by robcat2075 »

timothy42b wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:07 am The scariest part was when they required me to watch the video of how the procedure would be done, in order to have informed consent. Even a cartoon version is pretty bad.

I'm sensing a market opportunity for something like... Comedy Informed Consent Videos Inc.

"They'll die laughing!"

>>Robert Holmén<<

See my Spacepod movie
Tomingoode

Post by Tomingoode »

I had cataract surgery done last summer and was profoundly amazed by the process. At first by how disruptive it was to the eye that was done first, and after about 3 or 4 days it settled down into the best vision I have had since I was a teenager. WOW. I had just started trying to play again after my 50 year hiatus and had no difficulty related to my eyes other than trying to read music. Fortunately my wife had reading glasses that were a rough approximation of what I would need ongoing and I was able to use those until the other eye was done and the result from it stabilized. Then the new glasses made most everything good...I think at some point I will end up getting a pair specifically for reading music - for vocal work, thats what 12-18" and for trombone 3-5 feet? The sweet spot in my current progressive lens glasses is so narrow for the distance used for trombone I am finding an awkward head move necessary sometimes to bring the part of music I am trying to read into focus. This tends to lend a bit of uncertainty to the reading process and makes it more difficult to be consistently musical. There is a learning curve with my new eyes but mostly its such a huge improvement over where I was prior to the surgery I am not sweating these minor adjustments.
Brass players are like addicts: Always looking for a good buzz or how to improve on the one they have. Have you gotten your buzz today? :) :biggrin:
David123

Post by David123 »

Tomingoode wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:20 am I had cataract surgery done last summer and was profoundly amazed by the process. At first by how disruptive it was to the eye that was done first, and after about 3 or 4 days it settled down into the best vision I have had since I was a teenager. WOW. I had just started trying to play again after my 50 year hiatus and had no difficulty related to my eyes other than trying to read music. Fortunately my wife had reading glasses that were a rough approximation of what I would need ongoing and I was able to use those until the other eye was done and the result from it stabilized. Then the new glasses made most everything good...I think at some point I will end up getting a pair specifically for reading music - for vocal work, thats what 12-18" and for trombone 3-5 feet? The sweet spot in my current progressive lens glasses is so narrow for the distance used for trombone I am finding an awkward head move necessary sometimes to bring the part of music I am trying to read into focus. This tends to lend a bit of uncertainty to the reading process and makes it more difficult to be consistently musical. There is a learning curve with my new eyes but mostly its such a huge improvement over where I was prior to the surgery I am not sweating these minor adjustments.
Vision problems affect our day-to-day activities. My best friend's daughter has Glaucoma, which has messed up her academics. She has a passion for wildlife photography too. Fortunately, her Glaucoma was detected at a stage where LASIK eye surgery [https://www.skouraseyeandcosmetic.com/l ... y-toronto/] could work. She did LASIK. But she has to follow a few guidelines like less screen time and wear specs. If LASIK was not performed, it could have led to complete vision loss. So I request that if you struggle with your eyes, get an appointment with a doctor and proceed with the best treatment option available to avoid further complications. Don't delay. Take care.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

David123,

Welcome to TromboneChat.

Do you play trombone as well as flute (and eventually violin), or are you just interested in ophthalmology?

Do you know Kiara Edward?
timothy42b

Post by timothy42b »

David123 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 12:59 am So I request that if you struggle with your eyes, get an appointment with a doctor and proceed with the best treatment option available to avoid further complications. Don't delay. Take care.

This week an aquaintance realized she was having some vision problems (ran over her mailbox.) She made an eye appointment but also mentioned it to her doctor who sent her to the emergency room. She has a brain tumor and needs surgery. So yeah, you want to check out any changes right away.

Return to “Tangents”