Unable to change password

Have an idea for improving the forum? Share it here.
bketch

Unable to change password

Post by bketch »

How do I change my login password? Some time ago my password became invalid and I obtained a new one using the "forgot your password" dialogue box. The password assigned is so long and cumbersome that I rarely post any more. It was supposed to be easy to change when I logged in, but so far I have not found anyway to do it. I can't PM any of the administrators - I'm assuming because I haven't many posts yet under this login profile.
Matt K
Verified

Re: Unable to change password

Post by Matt K »

You should now be able to PM, fortunately.

To alter your password, you can either follow this link:
ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=reg_details

Which will take you to your profile's settings.

You may also click on the image of the person in the top right -> profile -> Profile -> Edit Account Settings.

Regretably, there isn't an easy way to change the forum software to provide a more detailed message about the password reset. I do advise anyone who isn't currently using one, to adopt a password manager such as 1Password, Bitwarden, or if you don't trust a 3rd party to manage your passwords, something like KeePass which is a local password repository. That way, you can have strong, unique passwords for each site without needing to type in something so cumbersome everytime you need to log in.

That said, welcome to TBC!
bketch

Post by bketch »

Thanks Matt,

I have changed my password and should now become a bit more active on this forum. I do have my own password manager in my own cloud storage, but when I set it up 80 character passwords didn't exist. I've been on the internet since the mid 1980's and I still don't trust 3rd party cloud storage. I've seen too many suddenly start charging exorbitant fees or shut down entirely.

BK
Matt K
Verified

Post by Matt K »

bketch wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:31 pm Thanks Matt,

I have changed my password and should now become a bit more active on this forum. I do have my own password manager in my own cloud storage, but when I set it up 80 character passwords didn't exist. I've been on the internet since the mid 1980's and I still don't trust 3rd party cloud storage. I've seen too many suddenly start charging exorbitant fees or shut down entirely.

BK
You don’t want to upgrade to the “well try not to get hacked package” for $14.99 a month?! :lol:

Return to “Comments & Suggestions”