Vintage Case Restoration

Elow

Vintage Case Restoration

Post by Elow »

I bought a MV 36 in amazing condition, and with the original case in really good condition. I’d like to clean/restore this case an unsure how to do so, also one latch has broken that i would like to somehow replace and install a new latch. I am new to something like this but want to take on the project. I really love this case, ive not seen many “brown” cases, mostly the black. Is this standard for MV cases? Has anyone revived their vintage case?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
baroquetrombone

Re: Vintage Case Restoration

Post by baroquetrombone »

Beautiful instrument AND case! I even like the sticker (being from LA, though not from LSU).

I've restored some cases, but they were completely shot and needed everything. This one looks surprisingly good, so if I were you, I'd do as little as possible. The latch is most likely held on by split rivets. If you can peel back the lining a little to see the back of it, you can replace it (except you'll have to find a matching one-- that may or may not be difficult). The leather strap for the slide cover should be fairly easy too, and the metal plate just needs to be straightened and attached with tacks, iirc. The material should get better looking with some sort of automotive upholstery cleaner. I don't have any specific recommendations, unfortunately, but I do know cars with similar seating surfaces, so they SHOULD work. Just be sure to test an inconspicuous area first.

Sorry I can't be of specific help, but I applaud whatever effort you put into it. It doesn't seem like many people bother to make old cases better and I think they deserve it!
biggiesmalls

Re: Vintage Case Restoration

Post by biggiesmalls »

Gorgeous instrument...congratulations!

In the past, I have re-attached these MV Bach leather straps to their cases with a thin layer of craft glue, applied to both the case and the back side of the leather strap. I cut a wood block to pressure fit tightly between the inside top of the case and the leather strap, to apply pressure to the portion of the leather strap that was being glued, then removed the block a day or so later, once the glue had fully cured. A layer of plastic film between the leather and the wood block ensured that the block didn't end up glued to the leather by any minor glue seepage.

A note on using the MV leather straps and snaps: try to avoid un-snapping the straps by pulling on the leather tabs. Eventually, the leather will tear around the snaps, rendering them useless. Instead, simply pry the snaps open from their sides using a fingertip. Works like a charm.

I recently repaired a completely blown out and missing section of a brown MV case using fiberglass and epoxy. Not my prettiest work, but very effective.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Accessories”