Hello from Maryland!

Important Trombone Chat information starts here.
cobbU2

Hello from Maryland!

Post by cobbU2 »

Hello All,

My first post here, getting back into possibly familiar territory after a 41-year hiatus, yes that long.

I started playing late, being 19 years old in between my sophomore and junior years of college (U. of MD) when a friend of a friend, who played for the US Navy jazz ensemble in DC (the Commodores) convinced me to finally start what I originally wanted to do as a kid... playing the trombone. I dove in headfirst, by the time I graduated two years later (exactly 41 years ago this month), I was playing bass trombone in the concert band, jazz ensemble, and an E-flat tuba in the brass ensemble performance class.

However, once I graduated I went straight into my Air Force career and never had the opportunity to get involved in any musical organization. I'm now recently retired, and about 6 months ago I joined the city chorus as a bass. But I also would like to resume my trombone playing if being 63 years old isn't too late.

My first horn was a Bach Model 16; but I was immediately put into the bass trombone chair, which I grew to love, playing a beat-up loaner Conn 88H and stayed there. Later I purchased a Holton TR 180 bass trombone thinking I would use it if I ever got into playing again (but never happened), and regrettably sold it about 10 years ago never having played it "for real."

Now being retired, with some time, I want to get back into it just as a hobby, maybe eventually playing in one of the local community bands; I'm thinking about picking up a large-bore bass-capable horn (nothing fancy).

Anyway that's my story, happy to be here!

Cheers, Allan
BGuttman

Re: Hello from Maryland!

Post by BGuttman »

Welcome back. Note: the only time it's too late to start again is when you cannot physically hold the horn, or you are dead.

There are some nice, inexpensive bass trombones in our Classified Ads (you will need two more approved posts to be able to message or e-mail).

Lots of things have changed since you bought your TR-180. Now bass trombones are in Bb and D (or sometimes Eb). The 2nd valve is normally pressed with a finger of your left hand .

If you are on a tight budget, single valve bass trombones can actually turn out to be cheaper than symphonic tenors.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
heinamj

Post by heinamj »

Welcome back! Another, pre-retiree, here a little north in PA trying to get back into playing with my first public performance later tonight with a brass quintet.

Never too late to start back. Have fun and use the time you now have to take your playing to a new level. I'm hoping to do that as I enter my seventh decade next month.

Jeff
cobbU2

Post by cobbU2 »

Many thanks to you both for the words!

I'll definitely take a look at what's there in the ads when I can; I actually was considering just a single-valve anyway, maybe something like a TR 680 or a King 5B, etc. but I would like to stick to the large bore. I looked at Conn 88Hs online, but I see they're quite pricey, I need to keep the budget at or below $900 if possible.

I also was thinking about some lessons... after that long it may feel like I'm starting over. I'm pretty familiar with the bass clef, I know what each major key is but translating that to actual playing won't come quickly for sure; I think the structure of lessons will help immensely. And my sight reading is terrible; to be honest it never was that great to begin with, I always remember that was my one biggest weakness when I played eons ago.

Thanks again!

Allan
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I currently am playing a TR-680, mainly because it was cheap. Since I am currently living in a nursing home my wife refused to let me take any of the more expensive instruments I own since residents often "borrow" from each other. The 680 has one major problem: it won't pull to E. There is only one tuning slide on the F-attachment and it doesn't pull far enough to give you E. Also, it's really a tenor trombone with an F-attachment. As such it plays pretty well.

For a single valve Holton bass, look for the TR-183 or TR-185. These are nice instruments with a more "modern" wrap.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
heinamj

Post by heinamj »

You may also want to consider a used Benge 190 with an F attachment. They were essentially what King large bores could, or maybe should have become...
.547 large bore with stepped up .562 in the F attachment. And you can find them in your price range online...
Doug Elliott

Post by Doug Elliott »

I didn't go to UMD but I was sitting in with the jazz band quite a bit around the time you were there, probably '80-81. I don't remember who was in the section.
"I know a thing or two because I've seen a thing or two."
cobbU2

Post by cobbU2 »

heinamj wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:51 pm You may also want to consider a used Benge 190 with an F attachment. They were essentially what King large bores could, or maybe should have become...
.547 large bore with stepped up .562 in the F attachment. And you can find them in your price range online...
Thanks! I've seen one of those as well as a 165F; looking up the specs, they seem about the same, I suppose the only difference is the F-attachment bore step-up?

Cheers, Allan
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

The 190 wrap is a single loop (not quite "Open" since the bend is a bit smaller. The 165 has a more conventional wrap and doesn't stick out behind the main tuning slide.

The 165 has less "bling" (nickel ferrules) than the 190. Still, it plays quite well. I preferred the 190, myself.
Bruce Guttman
"Almost Professional"
cobbU2

Post by cobbU2 »

Doug Elliott wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:03 pm I didn't go to UMD but I was sitting in with the jazz band quite a bit around the time you were there, probably '80-81. I don't remember who was in the section.
Wow, amazing! I want to say I remember you, but I can't remember names anymore, just faces and after so many years there's people I knew well that I probably wouldn't recognize if I saw them on the street.

I do remember Doc Ross, our director/professor. He was great to play for and I learned a lot in a very short time.

Cheers, Allan
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

cobbU2 wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:22 pm
heinamj wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:51 pm You may also want to consider a used Benge 190 with an F attachment. They were essentially what King large bores could, or maybe should have become...
Thanks! I've seen one of those as well as a 165F; looking up the specs, they seem about the same, I suppose the only difference is the F-attachment bore step-up?

Cheers, Allan
I regularly use a Benge 165F, which I got (a refurbished rescue from a student) as a backup to my late-Elkhart Conn 88H. It's at least 20 years old; plays great. It is very similar to the Benge 190, but has a more compact wrap and an un-annealed bell. Well-manufactured and restored. Definitely an improvement on the King 4B, and - as has been written on the trombone forums - under-rated and under-appreciated. Often available at very reasonable prices, and easy to repair (I am told) and maintain.

Return to “News & Announcements”