Slide cases

Chatname

Slide cases

Post by Chatname »

Sometimes I want to bring only a slide to or from work on my bicycle, and bringing the whole case feels unnecessary. Or traveling with an extra slide. I know Cronkhite makes a slide case. Do you know these, I suppose they are good? Any other makers? I guess I could find some sports bag that would be cheaper, maybe. The slide should be reasonably well protected, though.
How do you transport separate slides?
norbie2018

Re: Slide cases

Post by norbie2018 »

Consider a rifle case. Rajasthan low cost, large selection, excellent protection.
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

The shortest rifle cases that I can locate are at least 41 inches long - really too long for a slide (~32 inches long).

Does anyone make a hard-sided case that will comfortably and snugly accommodate and protect a trombone slide?
afugate

Post by afugate »

Posaunus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:50 pm The shortest rifle cases that I can locate are at least 41 inches long - really too long for a slide (~32 inches long).
Short rifle cases definitely exist.
https://www.amazon.com/Merdia-Precision ... ref=sr_1_5

Per the description,
"All Weather Hard Rifle Cases: External Dimension: 34.45" x 13.29" x 5", Interior Dimension: 33.46" x 11.81" x 4.72", Lid Depth:2.44";Bottom Depth:2.44" , Weight: 2700g."

--Andy in OKC
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

breakdown shotgun case
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I use a case that was designed to keep your arrows in (as in bows and arrows) Its absolutely the perfect size, then set the inside up like the slide doctor does with foam... Doug
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

afugate wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:21 am
Posaunus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:50 pm The shortest rifle cases that I can locate are at least 41 inches long - really too long for a slide (~32 inches long).
Short rifle cases definitely exist.
https://www.amazon.com/Merdia-Precision ... ref=sr_1_5

Per the description,
"All Weather Hard Rifle Cases: External Dimension: 34.45" x 13.29" x 5", Interior Dimension: 33.46" x 11.81" x 4.72", Lid Depth:2.44";Bottom Depth:2.44" , Weight: 2700g."

--Andy in OKC
Thanks Andy. This looks pretty good - though a little larger than needed for one slide. With an interior width of 11.81", I could probably safely carry two slides in it.
muschem

Post by muschem »

DougHulme wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am I use a case that was designed to keep your arrows in (as in bows and arrows) Its absolutely the perfect size, then set the inside up like the slide doctor does with foam... Doug
That's a neat idea. Something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/MTM-Ultra-Compac ... B000ZB953W
Listed dimensions: 33" x 5.9" x 3"

Or, if you need/want handles and a shoulder strap, a takedown recurve bow case like this might work:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MTC2PPJ
Listed dimensions: 35.43”L x 7.87”W x 5.12”H

Is there a particular type of foam that works best for padding?
Mike Shirley

Tenor trombone
Austin Symphonic Band

Bass trombone
Williamson County Symphony Orchestra
DougHulme

Post by DougHulme »

I just used a normal thin sheet of sponge foam (maybe 1/2" thick) on either side and made more rigid polystyrene ends shaped to fit the bow at one end the mouthpiece and bell reciever at the other. Adapted the design from what The Slide Doctor does with his plywood cases. I have even shipped a slide in this case too with no ill effects. The examples youve found look absolutely ideal to me and the first one is almost the same as mine... Doug
afugate

Post by afugate »

muschem wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm That's a neat idea. Something like this?

Or, if you need/want handles and a shoulder strap, a takedown recurve bow case like this might work:
These look very promising. Much better than the rifle case I posted earlier. :good:
--Andy in OKC
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

I just ordered a purple compact arrow case and some 1" egg crate foam to encase my extra slide.
Modest investment. Hope it works out.

If not - any archers out there?

Thanks everyone!
afugate

Post by afugate »

Posaunus wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:54 pm I just ordered a purple compact arrow case and some 1" egg crate foam to encase my extra slide.

Thanks everyone!
If I remember correctly, there are some types of foam that have outgassing that can cause lacquer problems. A search of the forums may save you some heartache.

--Andy in OKC
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

afugate wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:14 am
Posaunus wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:54 pm I just ordered a purple compact arrow case and some 1" egg crate foam to encase my extra slide.

Thanks everyone!
If I remember correctly, there are some types of foam that have outgassing that can cause lacquer problems. A search of the forums may save you some heartache.

--Andy in OKC
Oops - never thought of that. I believe the "egg crate" foam is polyurethane. Is this a concern? :idk:
jacobgarchik

Post by jacobgarchik »

muschem wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:40 pm
DougHulme wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:40 am I use a case that was designed to keep your arrows in (as in bows and arrows) Its absolutely the perfect size, then set the inside up like the slide doctor does with foam... Doug
That's a neat idea. Something like this?

Is there a particular type of foam that works best for padding?
2nd one would be perfect for a cut bell Conn 4h or King 2b!
afugate

Post by afugate »

Posaunus wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:10 am
afugate wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:14 am

--Andy in OKC
Oops - never thought of that. I believe the "egg crate" foam is polyurethane. Is this a concern? :idk:
I don't recall any particulars and I'm not an expert. Perhaps Bruce (BGuttman) or another with appropriate background can weigh in with helpful info.

--Andy in OKC
BGuttman

Post by BGuttman »

I did a little online research and can suss out the following:

Polyurethane foams may offgas a chlorofluorocarbon, which could be a lacquer solvent or break down into hydrochloric acid which can attack exposed metal. Normally the offgas goes to undetectable levels after about 24-72 hours in a well ventilated location. Polyurethane is usually used as a spray insulation foam.

Expanded polyethylene or expanded polypropylene foams have no hazardous offgas. They are usually expanded with air, nitrogen, or steam.

Believe it or not, I couldn't find any problem with styrofoam.

Most of the dangerous offgases have some kind of odor, so if there is a chemical "smell" to the foam, either aerate it, give it a modest bake (below melt temperature, but 50C - 125F should be OK; 2 hours), or just don't use it.
Bruce Guttman
Merrimack Valley Philharmonic Orchestra
"Almost Professional"
Posaunus

Post by Posaunus »

BGuttman wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:22 pm Polyurethane foams may offgas a chlorofluorocarbon, which could be a lacquer solvent or break down into hydrochloric acid which can attack exposed metal. Normally the offgas goes to undetectable levels after about 24-72 hours in a well ventilated location. Polyurethane is usually used as a spray insulation foam.

Most of the dangerous offgases have some kind of odor, so if there is a chemical "smell" to the foam, either aerate it, give it a modest bake (below melt temperature, but 50C - 125F should be OK; 2 hours), or just don't use it.
Thanks Bruce. My compact arrow case and [polyurethane?] egg crate foam should arrive soon. I'll air out the foam for a while before storing my extra slide. Fingers crossed!
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

I just bought this case (here in Germany) for my extra slide. The side fits perfectly inside. Don't know if this might be available elsewhere:

https://www.brucklacher.eu/de/zubehoer- ... enkoffer-m
boneberg

Post by boneberg »

And I was wondering if this foam material would be okay, or if it might be harmful to the lacquer?

Acrylnitril-Butadien-Styrol (ABS)

Return to “Accessories”